New Driver - Driver 1955

Misc New Driver - Driver 1955 1.011

Login or Register an account to download this content

Mr. Malarkey

Premium
Mr. Malarkey submitted a new resource:

New Driver - Driver 1955 - A new driver with 1950s-style helmet and goggles

Introducing Driver 1955!

Tired of seeing your 1950s cars being driven by drivers from 10 years in the future? I know I was. I tried using the "pudding" driver, but that was a pretty outdated model, and it was almost impossible to skin the helmet. So I decided it was time for something new. And now I'm really, really excited to share it with you!
View attachment 515615
Driver 1955 features:

- and old-school open-face helmet with a bit of wear and tear on it
- leather, metal...

Read more about this resource...

Thank you so much for this! We need more 50es content in AC :D

Some suggestions/shameless requests:

- why not call the model 'driver_55'? I think it would be more like the Kunos nomenclature of driver models;
- could you provide some generic skins, just simple textures like in some of your images, please?

Again, thank you! :) :)

Thank you so much for this! We need more 50es content in AC :D

Some suggestions/shameless requests:

- why not call the model 'driver_55'? I think it would be more like the Kunos nomenclature of driver models;

In retrospect, I probably should have done that. But since the model was built before I thought of it, it would require going into the original fbx file and changing mesh names. This already involved a steep learning curve for me, and I decided that was a headache I didn't need. And since this obviously isn't a Kunos model, I figured it didn't really matter anyway.

- could you provide some generic skins, just simple textures like in some of your images, please?

Oh, skins are a-coming. :) I have a whole bunch of historic 250f skins that I've been working on, and they all have historic driver skins based on real drivers of the era, from Fangio and Moss to backmarkers that not many people would recognize. In my first pic, you can see Carroll Shelby (#5), Andre Simon (#42), Jean Behra (#34), Horace Gould (#19), Louis Rosier (#14), and Maria Teresa Filippis (#26), the first woman to drive in F1. There are many, many more. All the helmets match the helmets worn by the drivers. Even some of the faces are different.

Honestly, I wasn't sure how to pack them up in the original download. The process for changing the driver is complicated enough as it is, and I didn't want to add to the possible confusion by including skins that would have to be manually installed. If you know of a simple way to do it, please let me know! Maybe I should make the driver skins themselves into a package....

Again, thank you! :) :)

My pleasure!

Last edited:
I love your historic skins and driver. Would it be possible to make a version of driver_1955 without goggles for use in closed sports cars? I would like to have Stirling in his normal helmet driving the DB4GT prototype we have just released. Velo has made a good helmet set but yours would add welcome variety!

I love your historic skins and driver. Would it be possible to make a version of driver_1955 without goggles for use in closed sports cars? I would like to have Stirling in his normal helmet driving the DB4GT prototype we have just released. Velo has made a good helmet set but yours would add welcome variety!

I thought I had replied to you last week, but it appears I didn't! Let me see what I can do about this. I think it's completely doable, but it isn't something I can tackle immediately, as my real job has suddenly gotten very busy. I will try to get it done before the end of the month!

This is brilliant, tho could you please make the 1937 version?I would really really love if u could, no helmet no seatbelt no race suit. Itll be epic thanks

Thanks for this! The only problem is that the helmets are appearing darker in color then what they should be. Essentially, white helmets look gray in the showroom and on track. Did I install the mod wrong? Or is something else wrong? Thanks.

Thanks for this! The only problem is that the helmets are appearing darker in color then what they should be. Essentially, white helmets look gray in the showroom and on track. Did I install the mod wrong? Or is something else wrong? Thanks.

Hmmm...not sure what's going on there. I've run into similar problems when AC gets confused as to which file to use. It sounds like AC has two different texture/material/shader files that it's using at the same time (the gray one, and mine).

The first step would be to make sure there isn't a skin.ini file in the car's skin folder that is causing a conflict. I have some cars here that I'm working on that have that file, telling each skin to use a certain driver model and skin. If you've got that in there, and it is telling AC to use a different driver, it's going to screw things up.

If that isn't the issue, you can try installing them using a different method that the one you used. I think I put two or three different methods in there.

If it isn't solved by one of those steps, we'll have to troubleshoot!

Unfortunately, I can't look at it right this minute, but if you will shoot me a DM on the weekend I will see if I can help.

Last edited:
Hmmm...not sure what's going on there. I've run into similar problems when AC gets confused as to which file to use. It sounds like AC has two different texture/material/shader files that it's using at the same time (the gray one, and mine).

The first step would be to make sure there isn't a skin.ini file in the car's skin folder that is causing a conflict. I have some cars here that I'm working on that have that file, telling each skin to use a certain driver model and skin. If you've got that in there, and it is telling AC to use a different driver, it's going to screw things up.

If that isn't the issue, you can try installing them using a different method that the one you used. I think I put two or three different methods in there.

If it isn't solved by one of those steps, we'll have to troubleshoot!

Unfortunately, I can't look at it right this minute, but if you will shoot me a DM on the weekend I will see if I can help.
I made sure to delete the skin.ini file, but am still having the same issue.

I looked though the other files in the data folder of the car and can't find anything else that calls for driver textures and materials other than the driver3d.ini.

I also noticed while in showroom that the driver body becomes transparent if I rotate the camera.

I will try to shoot you a DM if I have some free time this weekend. Thanks.

I made sure to delete the skin.ini file, but am still having the same issue.

I looked though the other files in the data folder of the car and can't find anything else that calls for driver textures and materials other than the driver3d.ini.

I also noticed while in showroom that the driver body becomes transparent if I rotate the camera.

I will try to shoot you a DM if I have some free time this weekend. Thanks.
Oh, and I've been getting the transparency thing in both the showroom and in-game using driver_60. Parts of the helmet disappear as I move the camera around. I have no idea what causes that.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back