Need Advice

Hi all, i have recently had problems running AC with to many AI, i managed to OC and the problem was solved. I then bought ACC the otherday and the problems were worse so i decided to bite the bullet and upgrade parts. I managed to get 12months 0% finance so on that basis i went for -

AMD Ryzen™ 7 2700X, AM4, Zen+, 8 Core
MSI X470 GAMING PRO, AMD X470 .

After buying i started to do a bit of research on the new parts and soon realised im probably going to have to buy other parts to make these parts work at there best. I am just above brainless when it comes to pc`s, hardware/software so this is where i need some help. I know i will have to spend money but i want to keep the cost to a minimum, at the same time having the best i can have to make my sim racing a good experience and problem free. So if i list what i have in my pc i would appreciate if you can tell me what i need to upgrade to be compatible with the new cpu/motherboard at reasonable prices. My head is boggled by all the info out there so im hoping you guys can simplify it for me. Im not sure of my budget maybe £400-£500 if i can juggle the finances enough where i wont starve :)

AMD Radeon R9 270x
I have 8gb ram (am i best to get 16gb)?
PSU 750w
I also need a case for it all to fit in ( if you have any suggestions)

Hope someone can help, many thanks in advance.

Duc will answer you on AMD

ACC recommended settings ( which is obviously want you want to run with such a powerful CPU )
  • Memory: 16 GB RAM
  • Graphics: GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB or Radeon RX 580 8GB
That will run more like 600 quid just for memory and card ( if you need full 16GB )
If you can get match the 8GB + GTX 1070 is around 500 but still need case

Please give more info:
8GB memory make and speed .....is new so you can buy 8GB of same ?
PSU make and model .......not all 750w are equal

Personally if it came down to buying less a card then a GTX1070 I would forget
the tower and memory and buy them later rather then spend less on GPU ;) but that's just me
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-components/graphics-cards/nvidia/geforce-gtx-1070

Last edited:

Attachments

• psu.jpg
    psu.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
let's see if I understood correctly...

You bought this:
  • AMD Ryzen™ 7 2700X, AM4, Zen+, 8 Core
  • MSI X470 GAMING PRO, AMD X470 .
And want to reuse this untill better moment to upgrade:
  • AMD Radeon R9 270x
  • 8GB (2x 4GB) DDR3 RAM 1600MHz CL9 Corsair Vengeance
  • Aerocool Templarius Imperator 750W 80+Silver PSU
....did I got it right?

If yes, then I think only the PSU (which is good) is worth keeping.

The graphics-card (aka GPU) that you have, the R9 270X, is outdated and will bottleneck the new powerful system components when gaming, so a new one (GTX1070 or better) should be in the plans. Meaning, the R9 270X can be used untill you can buy a better GPU, but it's a bit like using a temporary patch... it'll suck in that powerfull system.

You'll definitely need to buy new RAM memory, as the platform you bought uses specific DDR4 sticks, and can't use the DDR3 memory you have.
The AMD Ryzen7 2700X is an absolutely magnificent processor, but it is very picky with RAM memory, so it must use specific DDR4, with high speeds and low latency, for it to deliver best performance, as expected.
For that, I'd strongly suggest to look at RAM kits of 16GB (2x 8GB) of DDR4 3200MHz CL14, as it's the sweetest spot for it at the moment (AFAIK).

For example, any of these three should be phenomenal (yes, I'm a sucker for G.Skill RAM):
G.Skill Flare X DDR4 3200MHz CL14 (model F4-3200C14D-16GFX)
G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 3200MHz CL14 (model F4-3200C14D-16GTZSW)
G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 3200MHz CL14 (model F4-3200C14D-16GTZRX)

Whatever RAM you choose, it's a good idea to see if it's supported by your motherboard (MSI X470 GAMING PRO) before hiting the "BUY" button. You can see the whole list of RAM memory that it supports, in HERE.
(NOTE: the three I listed appear there only as 32GB kits, but knowing the 16GB kit are exact same specs, they'll work as well)
I also need a case for it all to fit in ( if you have any suggestions)
You don't mention budget limit for it (60,00 Euros? ...120,00 Euros? ...more??).
Not knowing, I'll mention a few solutions under 75,00 Euros, which should do absolutely fine:

I had a look at both of these & a fair bit in price difference . I seen rx580 8gb, would this be ok?
https://www.ballicom.co.uk/11265-21...sfqJPdObvQ2Cln6QKhrOXwA_okp-7WIhoCMdgQAvD_BwE

That's a quite good price for an RX580 8GB model! (and it's a good model too!)
I give you two of these ---> :thumbsup::thumbsup:

PS: whatever GPU you get, don't forget to install the latest drivers.

Last edited:
let's see if I understood correctly...

You bought this:
  • AMD Ryzen™ 7 2700X, AM4, Zen+, 8 Core
  • MSI X470 GAMING PRO, AMD X470 .
And want to reuse this untill better moment to upgrade:
  • AMD Radeon R9 270x
  • 8GB (2x 4GB) DDR3 RAM 1600MHz Cl9 Corsair Vengeance
  • Aerocool Templarius Imperator 750W 80+Silver PSU
....did I got it right?
I am sorry for confusing the situation, i am just pc thick. I have done some research and i am starting to understand my old components are useless for re using & i need graphics and ram. My budget right now is about £450

Graphics card - not sure if i can afford the GTX 1070 so i looked at the
Radeon RX 580 - https://www.ballicom.co.uk/11265-21...sfqJPdObvQ2Cln6QKhrOXwA_okp-7WIhoCMdgQAvD_BwE

Ram - https://www.ebuyer.com/807440-v4-16...6i7NAk3xbAppu7DLO2rlcmJuOFoZspLhoC_YkQAvD_BwE

Would this work?

Money is the object here unfortunatly, i made a snap decision buying the CPU & Motherboard, not realising the other costs involved but i want to commit to the build. I would love to buy the best, i just cant at this moment.

Many thanks for the detailed response & sorry i dont explain myself better.

I ended up paying £289 all in for the Radeon RX 580,8GB, Special edition. The site that had it for £240 was lying grrr. That leaves me around £150 for Ram

I ended up paying £289 all in for the Radeon RX 580,8GB, Special edition. The site that had it for £240 was lying grrr. That leaves me around £150 for Ram
....wait, the price was a lie? :thumbsdown: ...pretty awfull from the sellers part!

The budget then will be too tight for 16GB RAM and a PC case... :unsure:
That RAM is not exactly the most recommended for the Ryzen7 2700X, but it'll do if on a tight budget.
To ensure compability for Ryzen with DDR4 3200, for example, it should preferentially be Samsung, B die. The 3200 CL14 kits are B Die, whereas the CL16 kits are not, and etc... now you understand why I mentioned that AMD Ryzen is sensible to memory - it requires certain specs, which are usually expensive. Some folks avoid it because of that.
I'll see if there's good DDR4 3000MHz mem worth for AMD Ryzen going for (price difference may make it worthy).

In anycase, I think being patient is the key here.
To be frank and direct, I'd cancel the purchase of the RX580, get the money back, then get the 16GB RAM, and the PC Case.
Afterall, you have the R9 270X, which can work as a stop gap untill you can invest in the GPU later. :) Priorities, priorities, priorities.......

We can help look around for best prices on components (I suppose you're in Scotland, by the flag in your avatar?). Do you have any prefered PC online shops (links for them?)
Meanwhile I'll be looking at scan.uk, since it's highly rated in the UK.

Last edited:
....wait, the price was a lie? :thumbsdown: ...pretty awfull from the sellers part!

I think once i got to checkout the price was over £330 but still said £240 inc vat on the page i was on.
Ok so i have bought the case already -
Corsair 275R – Black Mid-Tower Gaming Case
As for the gfx card i will take your advice and send it back....i had a look & dont think i can cancel my order, i will check that again though.

This just leaves Ram.

WOW Holy crappola.... :confused: the 2x 8GB kits of DDR4 3200 CL14 prices are OUTRAGEOUS atm!
Can't find any below 200,00 pounds!! :mad:

Unto to the alternative solution then, DDR4 3000MHz (CL15 or CL16 latency) - not as fast, but still very good. :) These three are unknown to me but are listed as supported by your motherboard (so should be guaranteed to work):

Last edited:
By the way, what's the native resolution of the monitor you're using?
...is it 1920x1080 60Hz (1080P 60Hz) ?

I ask this because the GTX1070 prices are currently still very inflated (very hard to get one under 370,00£). And, while not as fast, the RX580 8GB (if AMD) and the GTX1060 6GB (if Nvidia) are awesome choices for 1080P 60Hz monitors. I'm checking plenty around for ~250,00£.

Last edited:
By the way, what's the native resolution of the monitor you're using?
...is it 1920x1080 60Hz (1080P 60Hz) ?

I ask this because the GTX1070 prices are currently still very inflated (very hard to get one under 370,00£). And, while not as fast, the RX580 8GB (if AMD) and the GTX1060 6GB (if Nvidia) are awesome choices for 1080P 60Hz monitors. I'm checking plenty around for ~250,00£.

I am on my 50inch tv at the moment. I started off this week looking for a monitor & ended up with everything else but the monitor :D I will be looking into a monitor as soon as the bank manager is speaking to me again haha

That's fine, I still use a TV, a 32'' 1080P 60Hz LG (not everyone can afford the fancy top monitors at such sizes)

I asked that because, while not as fast as the GTX1070 (~25% slower), I'm noticing that the RX580 8GB and the GTX1060 6GB are finally back to the (lower) prices they had at launch, they're great for 1080P 60Hz gaming... and a HUGE(!) jump in performance from your R9 270X. I'm checking some on that website for 240~250,00£, for example:

GTX1060 6GB
RX 580 8GB
Anyways... just food for thought.
You can always wait for Black Friday deals (end of November) and eventually find a GTX1070 with a nice discounted price. That is, if you want to wait.

Last edited:
I asked that because, while not as fast as the GTX1070 (~25% slower), I'm noticing that the RX580 8GB and the GTX1060 6GB are finally back to the (lower) prices they had at launch, they're great for 1080P 60Hz gaming... and a HUGE(!) jump in performance from your R9 270X. I'm checking some on that website for 240~250,00£, for example:

I already ordered this last night - https://www.newegg.com/global/uk/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202293

I take it this is somewhat the same as the links you put up? I would be happy with this at the moment even though it`s a bit slower. I only play Sim racing games - AC/RFactor2, ACC, so as long as it runs these, im happy. As for the monitor, it is next on my list. I should be able to buy one within 3 weeks.

Summary of Purchases -

CPU -
AMD Ryzen™ 7 2700X, AM4, Zen+, 8 Core

Motherboard -
MSI X470 GAMING PRO, AMD X470

Graphics Card -
This SAPPHIRE NITRO+ RX 580 Special Edition is factory overclocked to 1430MHz Boost clock/8.4GHz effective memory speed (1340HMz/8GHz for the reference card), and fitted with the Dual-X Cooling solution for efficient, quiet cooling. It also features a stunning metallic blue shroud and backplate lit up by a blue LED fan, adding eye-catching style to your new gaming build.

Ram -
Corsair Vengeance LED 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 Memory Kit - Red LED Lighting

Case -
Corsair Carbide Series 275R Mid Tower

I will be using my PSU from my old pc - 750w
I will also be looking into ssd card in the near future.
Monitor will be next big purchase

Is there anything missing that i would need to get to get me running?

I already ordered this last night - https://www.newegg.com/global/uk/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202293

I take it this is somewhat the same as the links you put up? I would be happy with this at the moment even though it`s a bit slower. I only play Sim racing games - AC/RFactor2, ACC, so as long as it runs these, im happy.
That is certainly one of the best RX580 8GB models you can get, but is usually overpriced (also because of that).
....how much did you end up paying afterall?
....if you did pay the £290 for it (and not the announced £240), I'd consider cancelling the purchase order (get the money back), and go for a direct equivalent one at lower price (such as those I listed in my previous post).

I mean, afterall, £50 pounds is money that could be put into something else for your new PC. ;) ....for example, a 500GB SSD, which you'll want to get, not only for a faster boot and snappier operating-system, but also much faster loading and stutter-free games.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back