Need Advice on Fanatec Gear: Help Spend My $$$!!!

I'm considering upgrading from my Logi G29 wheel and pedals to Fanatec gear. Although I've read/heard nothing but excellent reviews, I still have numerous questions.

First a bit about me as a sim racer. In rough order, these are the sims that I spend time on (Most to least): AC, RF2, RRE3, KartKraft, AMS, PC2, ACC, Dirt Rally 1. I prefer open wheelers, but am getting more into GT3's and others.

Now my questions:
1. I'm considering the v2.5 Clubsport Base. Is it a requirement to have a dedicated sim racing rig to mount it to? ( I use a desk for my G29 and prefer to continue using the desk). Related to this, what are the physical dimensions of this Base and how heavy is it?

2. I know that it comes with a 20 degree mount, but can this be clamped onto the desk or does it absolutely need to be screwed on.

3. Given my racing interests ( see above ), which of the Fanatec wheels would you recommend I get? So many choices.....

4. Regarding pedals, I only use 2 pedals (I map the brakes to the clutch pedal). Given this, which set of Fanatec pedals would you recommend? Are the inverted pedals worth the higher price?....and what are the physical dimensions of that set up?

Of course I have a budget, but let's not consider that for this exercise ATM. OTOH, I don't want to overspend if I don't have to. And on that topic is there somewhere that Fanatec gear is discounted and/or has a good return policy? (Good price and return policy are always something that I consider, but aren't absolute requirements.)

I'm sure I'll have other questions, but that's all for now. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jon, Is this the rim you have? I've always used round wheels so I'm not sure whether I'd like this. Did you have any trouble getting used to it? It's less expensive that the wheel rim I was thinking of, plus it's currently on sale.

Also, the pictures aren't very clear --- I see bronze colored paddles and black paddles. Which are the clutch and which are the gearshift?

Thanks again!
Modern GT cars are using this shaped rim over a traditional round / d-shaped rim.

Upvote 0
Apologies I have kind of skip read most of the comments (not your original posts) but I've got the general idea.

I can only comment on what I've got. In the last month I went from T500 (and the pedals) to a CSW 2.5 and the new Heusinkveld sprint pedals and can highly recommend both. It's a night and day difference over the T500, which I'd already consider a step up from a G29. I've not had them all that long but I'm really noticing the difference so far.

As for mounting the CSW, I can't comment on the table clamp but as far as I know the table clamp can be angled, so you take of the 20 degree mount and then screw the wheelbase to the clamp. In my case I already had drilled holes in my desk (which is rock solid and based on a kitchen worktop) for the T500 so I figured a few more wouldn't hurt for the new wheel :)

The CSW base is quite small in comparison to my old T500 base so I can't imagine it would be any bigger than the G29.

The heusinkveld pedals are amazing.. the build quality is superb. I was originally thinking of the clubsport pedals, but I thought i should just spend a little more to get something that should last a lifetime. As others have said you can always get the 2 pedal set to save a bit of money but you will definatly need the base plate. Probably the main thing to consider with the pedals is how you will mount them. The heusinkvelds do need to be mounted to something I'd say - even on the minimum 30kg setting, it does push my chair back when I brake. I have made a wooden mount which is screwed to my floor which has a 'stop' for my chair so it doesn't move.

For the wheel rims, I managed to get hold of the F1 2018 limited edition rim and I've also bought the BMW rim for rally and road cars. You can't get hold of the F1 LE rim now, but the Formula V2 is exactly the same, except the grips are connected to the center of the wheel at the bottom, so I would recommend that - most modern GT3 cars use this shape wheel now, even the 2019 porsche 911 GT3 and the aston GT3 as well. Of course the formula rim is great for open wheelers.

I've done some unboxing (but not review) videos of my new gear which you may find useful (or not):

Hopefully that will be of some help.

Upvote 0
,,,,, Another option to keep costs down is to just get the CSL Elite Pedals and see how you get on with just the two pedals. If you like them you can also upgrade to the loadcell kit at a later stage!

That's a very good point. I use the G29's clutch pedal for braking and used a TSW non-FFB wheel with only 2 pedals back in the day, so transitioning to a realistic feeling brake pedal would certainly be an adjustment for me.

How's the feeling of the clutch pedal of the CSL Elites to use for braking? Is the feel exactly similar to the throttle's feel (the G29's clutch pedal is not exactly like the throttle...), or does it have slightly more resistance?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
How's the feeling of the clutch pedal of the CSL Elites to use for braking? Is the feel exactly similar to the throttle's feel (the G29's clutch pedal is not exactly like the throttle...), or does it have slightly more resistance?
The resistance is significantly greater than the throttle pedal.

Upvote 0
The resistance is significantly greater than the throttle pedal.

Thanks for that info! So, based on the responses to my questions in this thread, I think that I'm now looking at:

- McLaren GT3 wheel and the CSL Elite pedals (2 pedals only - The loadcell brake pedal could be added later if I want it.)

- Then, because of $$ saved by going with the less expensive wheel and peds, I could get the Clubsport Wheelbase 2.5 instead of the CSL Elite Base.

I think that sets a good foundation for an upgrade path for the future (ie - different wheel, load cell brake pedal) should Gear Acquisition Syndrome kick in again.

So what do you all think of that package (the 3 items underlined)? The total cost would be $819.80. However - I'd still need a clamping system for the Clubsport Wheelbase 2.5 and I don't see it on the website. Does anyone have a link for it?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
That's a very good point. I use the G29's clutch pedal for braking and used a TSW non-FFB wheel with only 2 pedals back in the day, so transitioning to a realistic feeling brake pedal would certainly be an adjustment for me.

Thanks!
I moved from a G27 brake to a hydraulic pedal and couldn't do a lap at first! I have started getting used to it now

Upvote 0
Thanks for that info! So, based on the responses to my questions in this thread, I think that I'm now looking at:

- McLaren GT3 wheel and the CSL Elite pedals (2 pedals only - The loadcell brake pedal could be added later if I want it.)

- Then, because of $$ saved by going with the less expensive wheel and peds, I could get the Clubsport Wheelbase 2.5 instead of the CSL Elite Base.

I think that sets a good foundation for an upgrade path for the future (ie - different wheel, load cell brake pedal) should Gear Acquisition Syndrome kick in again.

So what do you all think of that package (the 3 items underlined)? The total cost would be $819.80. However - I'd still need a clamping system for the Clubsport Wheelbase 2.5 and I don't see it on the website. Does anyone have a link for it?

Thanks!
I posted a link to the clamp in the 3rd post in this thread :roflmao::roflmao:

here it is again (the US one):
https://www.fanatec.com/us-en/wheel-stands-table-clamps/clubsport-table-clamp-v2-us.html

Upvote 0
My take and personal experience with Fanatec llc. If you have a problem and require getting ahold of someone at Fanatec, you will be cursing there name in short order. I attempted every way to get there attention, and in the end: only way to get some on the line was to OPEN A PAYPAL FILE AGAINST THEM. They then replied.. go figure
I would be pushing you toward one of the other brands

Upvote 0
And I would say my take would be the exact opposite.
Nothing but praise for the guys at Fanatec for all my gear. Starting with a used setup that they still honoured warranty on up to present day with spares and assistance with my CSW V1 wheelbase, rims and pedals. Love the company and will buy from them again on my next upgrade. Whenever that will be.

Upvote 0
I can't in good conscience recommend the McLaren GT3 rim, there's too many people that have had issues with it, the reliability might be the worst of all they're rims right now. Mine like many had a shifter failure, got a replacement but I'm just waiting for it to fail again, wish I had waited for these new Formula rims but there was no news at the time.

I'd push your money as far as you can and get a CSW 2.5 and the new Formula rim for use with open wheel and modern GT racing and perhaps the Universal hub and add your own rim, being in mind the Podium version of the hub is going to be releasing at some point soon though that will probably be more expensive and then whatever pedals you like. It's almost always better to get something you would be happier with straight away instead of spending more in the long run getting something better to replace it later.

Upvote 0
Sorry for highjacking your topic.

I have somewhat similar dilemma about the Fanatec equipment. However, I cannot proceed with buying the stuff until I am absolutely sure that mounting the equipment to a wheel stand is possible. Unfortunately, rig is out of the question as the stand needs to be movable. Also, I will use my own chair and place the screen on my desk.

So, does anyone have a suggestion for a sturdy wheel stand (EU delivery) that will hold: CS Wheel Base V2.5, CS Pedals V3, CS Shifter SQ with CS Handbrake V1.5?

Thanks a bunch!

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back