Nearly impossible to drive the F1s and F2s

can someone tell me why it is near on impossible to drive the old f1s and f2s i just cannot get them around the track with any confidence , the f3 is fine , is there some setting to make them more drivable

Some how I dont think these cars were so easy to drive in real life either. These cars have a high power to weight ratio and the tires of the day had less grip than the tires found on today's passenger cars.

200mph with open face helmets...:)

005_M010228.jpg

A purpose built widebody, low to the ground car has less grip than a HEAVY weight modern car, yeah right.
I wish dev would quit this BS of difficulty=realism, consider the grip the F1 modern from GSC has, yet that's probably one of the most realistic cars ever made.

So instead of some of the older cars being hairy but fun, experienced sim racers are back to the beginning, it was like when I fist tried to drive the F3000{race07} with my xbox controller and ended up rage quiting.

Lol... I'd love to see you try driving one of these in real life after a few laps in your family saloon. Then we'd really see which has more grip, a 50 year old racing car which is essentially four wheels, an engine and a frame, or a modern car with masses of technology based on 50 years of motorsport. I already know which it would be.

Lol... I'd love to see you try driving one of these in real life after a few laps in your family saloon. Then we'd really see which has more grip, a 50 year old racing car which is essentially four wheels, an engine and a frame, or a modern car with masses of technology based on 50 years of motorsport. I already know which it would be.

But what are you telling us, Simbin and GSC physics now suck?

I'm not telling you anything. I'm merely pointing out that comparing modern cars of any description to 50 year old racing cars in terms of 'grip' is like comparing chalk and cheese. Completely pointless.

Funny how people that can't drive a car always bring up the argument that the devs deliberately make the handling crap as a way of faking realism. It's like they think they should be able to just jump in and drive, as if they were playing NFS Shift or something. When you have actually taken a real 1960's Formula racing car on a real track and managed to come back alive, then perhaps your opinion will be taken more seriously. Until then...

I'm not telling you anything. I'm merely pointing out that comparing modern cars of any description to 50 year old racing cars in terms of 'grip' is like comparing chalk and cheese. Completely pointless.

Funny how people that can't drive a car always bring up the argument that the devs deliberately make the handling crap as a way of faking realism. It's like they think they should be able to just jump in and drive, as if they were playing NFS Shift or something. When you have actually taken a real 1960's Formula racing car on a real track and managed to come back alive, then perhaps your opinion will be taken more seriously. Until then...

Odd, I've been playing Simbin, FVA, GSC, Iracing etc over the last few yrs and have racked up nearly 2000hrs across all these games, plus, other fast drivers are also complaining....anyway, it seems that rfactor is set for an epic fail, but at least you'll get your wish of ultra realism, LOL, you and 10-20k others, LOL.

David Ignjatovic said:
Odd, I've been playing Simbin, FVA, GSC, Iracing etc over the last few yrs...

All of which are simulators, not real life. I know for a fact that at least two of those games don't even have 1960's Formula cars in them, so how can you possibly use them as a comparison? And without direct real world experience, who are you to say which dev has it right or wrong anyway?

As it seems that your sole aim is to bash rF2 without any credible argument to back up your claims, I think I'm done discussing this with you. Hate it if you want. Won't affect the enjoyment of anyone else.

Old cars have lots of grip as shown in the video below. The driver hardly has to countersteer to catch his sliding Porsche..

Not! :)

HERO!

Jeez - that guy's got his steering rack connected up in reverse, lol ..awsome bit of driving, steering almost completely with the throttle ..& through Eau Rouge :eek:

Guys - let's discuss this without all the handbag stuff please :) ..everyone has a point of view, so let's all have our points of view, lol

Actually David - I agree with your view on the current handling (& Noel Spence who started this topic) but your delivery mate is too abrasive :confused: ..I too think the retro F1/F2 cars are a bit twitchy, there's just a bit too much lateral-sensitivity going on when you apply some power.. someone else here in a different topic said: ..you'll be driving around Monaco with no more than 10% throttle, & I feel that's what it ought to be like in the wet, but not in the dry.. but it is a BETA, & I'm guessing some of the ISI guys will certainly be looking in here, that's why it was released - & for our enjoyment; it's also got much going for it that is already good :cool:

nb. I think the F3's are the nicest to handle - bit like a Lotus Elan from the mid 60's - all nimble & responsive (my older bro' had one in the 70's, & I used to borrow it occasionally when he wasn't looking)

Don't forget that the 3.0L 67' F1 had like 3 times the power the chassis could handle ! It will be crazy, it's just physic from there, it's impossible for that kind of car to be easy to drive, even more so with the tires they had, the h-pattern shifter, the lack of downforce, etc...

[QUOTEWhen I start practising to drive GPL cars soo long time ago it took something like 2 months to learn how to drive it fast, this is as difficult. This new rF2 its like GPL but better, thank's ISI, well done! ]

Took me a lot longer than that. I think thats why i liked driving the Brabham or the Eagle even though they werent as fast as the Lotus, but you could still be competitive with them and usually post consistent times.

Sorry for the off topic there.........Noel i think the EVE F1 Sport with the wings is a little easier to drive than the ones without them, and i just posted a setup that seems to make it a little less twitchier and a bit easier to drive. And just as Bram stated practice is the key, because when you know the track its a lot easier to stay on it.[/quote]
Your setup helped me a lot to stay on the track like Spa but I don't have enough time to practice to be consistant.
Anyway, it makes me think of GPL so much, I just can't hate it when I do an "AirForce" special flying trick, :)
It took me almost a year of constant practice with gpl and still, I wasn't fast enough for the IA, but it worth it anyway cause I was thinking I was Jim Clark on the Old Ring,
Hat's off to ISI to bring us something similar to GPL with today's graphics,

LeZaz

PS, these "good ole times" F1 had nothing to do with actual F1 and absolutely nothing to do with what we have in rF1 and other "sims" like Codemasters F1-2010 & 2011. It is a totally different way of driving...........

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back