I was pretty hyped for the Roval after noticing it was hinted at in game files, but being locked away to another next-year mode and offline/local play only, I'm not too thrilled about. Plus, it was apparently made earlier, so the Roval layout doesn't match what it'll actually be... though I kinda consider that neat since it'll be unique to the game.

Basically, if they just sold me the Roval to work like any other track, I'd be ecstatic, but buying yet another roster update and more menus to click through to get to it is a little underwhelming. I dunno. Chances are I'll buy it anyways. Hopefully the PC versions stay good and I can keep finding these worth it, but I'm kinda wondering about other options for my stock car fix now. (It's still VERY tough to find better stock car oval racing AI than Heat, in my opinion.)

I spent a good amount of time working on this release. Doing updates like this before the season has started is tough because things change so much in the months, weeks, and even days leading up to Daytona. And so we would make a scheme and then weeks later have to go back and change something on it.

------

I was pretty hyped for the Roval after noticing it was hinted at in game files, but being locked away to another next-year mode and offline/local play only, I'm not too thrilled about. Plus, it was apparently made earlier, so the Roval layout doesn't match what it'll actually be... though I kinda consider that neat since it'll be unique to the game.

Basically, if they just sold me the Roval to work like any other track, I'd be ecstatic, but buying yet another roster update and more menus to click through to get to it is a little underwhelming. I dunno. Chances are I'll buy it anyways. Hopefully the PC versions stay good and I can keep finding these worth it, but I'm kinda wondering about other options for my stock car fix now. (It's still VERY tough to find better stock car oval racing AI than Heat, in my opinion.)

NASCAR keeps changing the layout of the roval. All the changes they've made are good and sensible, like adding the two chicanes so the tires don't melt, and most recently bypassing turn 8 by putting a straight between 7 and 9. But nobody announced that latest change until the morning of the DLC announcement. So that's unfortunate but it's too late to go back. iRacing apparently laser scanned back in the summer and now their data is at least two iterations old. Not to mention the track is still yet to build some of the amenities specific to the roval, like a pedestrian cross over bridge that connects the Circle K and campsites to the rest of the facility.
------

Is it me, or do the graphics in the OP screenshot look better than what I've come to expect from NH2?
That's what the game looks like on PC when you run it at higher resolutions. As far as I can tell, the majority of the graphics issues, like the blocky shadows, and the aliasing, are all things that come with Unity engine. You can workaround that on PC by using supersampling. nVidia 10 series cards don't seem to be able to force Unity games into supersampling, but AMD and nV 9 series generally works.

I spent a good amount of time working on this release. Doing updates like this before the season has started is tough because things change so much in the months, weeks, and even days leading up to Daytona. And so we would make a scheme and then weeks later have to go back and change something on it.

Cool! Thanks for the info man, appreciate the insight :)

...nobody announced that latest change until the morning of the DLC announcement. So that's unfortunate but it's too late to go back. iRacing apparently laser scanned back in the summer and now their data is at least two iterations old. Not to mention the track is still yet to build some of the amenities specific to the roval, like a pedestrian cross over bridge that connects the Circle K and campsites to the rest of the facility.

First off, thanks for helping make this happen, because internet complaining aside, you know I'm gonna buy this and probably love it. And second, yeah, the absurdly tight time schedules and lack of updates to the dev team seem pretty specifically grueling, and a bit rare for the industry; a lot of sports titles have to change stuff mid-season or very abruptly, but I don't think many sanctioning bodies suddenly change the basic format of the event without warning. I applaud you but I do not envy you, for sure.

Having the older Roval layout is at least gonna be pretty neat, since I do enjoy going back and checking out unique, rarer versions of courses in these games. The same event won't be the same layout in NH2 and (the probable) NH3, and that's a plus in my book; gives it something exclusive in hindsight, like F1 2012's more bare-bones CotA or... well, most older games depicting Homestead.

NASCAR keeps changing the layout of the roval. All the changes they've made are good and sensible, like adding the two chicanes so the tires don't melt, and most recently bypassing turn 8 by putting a straight between 7 and 9. But nobody announced that latest change until the morning of the DLC announcement. So that's unfortunate but it's too late to go back. iRacing apparently laser scanned back in the summer and now their data is at least two iterations old. Not to mention the track is still yet to build some of the amenities specific to the roval, like a pedestrian cross over bridge that connects the Circle K and campsites to the rest of the facility.

Thanks for the info. I can't imagine having to work on something like Heat with how NASCAR operates these days; I remember reading how weeks before the game was scheduled to launch they just sort of dropped stage racing on the world and it was a hare scramble to have it implemented in the game.

NASCAR keeps changing the layout of the roval. All the changes they've made are good and sensible, like adding the two chicanes so the tires don't melt, and most recently bypassing turn 8 by putting a straight between 7 and 9.

that 'bypass' was where the existing roval circuit went. the hairpin loop of minimal speed they're now not using was the new bit.

If you make NH2 exclusive Full Screen we might use DSR that will enable the 10-series to use higher than native resolutions and mitigate the lack of supersampling etc.

Been having the same issues since the first game.

You won’t have this nvidia 10-series excuse with the third game.

If you make NH2 exclusive Full Screen we might use DSR that will enable the 10-series to use higher than native resolutions and mitigate the lack of supersampling etc.

Been having the same issues since the first game.

You won’t have this nvidia 10-series excuse with the third game.

I'm not a developer, I'm an artist, and I don't even work at the studio that develops the game. And I'd like an option for exclusive full screen too. My problems with the PC release are the same problems that everyone else faces. If this is an issue that you're particularly passionate about, I suggest you @704nascarheat on Twitter and suggest it. The person that manages the account is receptive and that's the best channel for feedback.

Well, lets not go overboard, still have a dirty taste from Nascar Heat Evolution.
Some context... MGI hadn't made a major console game since Test Drive Eve of Destruction for Atari in 2004 and Excite Truck on the Wii in 2006. Since then, they were only lending their hands to help on other major Nintendo first party games, like Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze and Xenoblade Chronicles. So what you saw with Heat Evolution was a studio that was relearning the ropes and making their first racing game, ten years after the last one, without any of the resources you typically accumulate from a long-running franchise.

I'm on the Xbox and picked up Nascar Heat Evolution when it finally made the store here in the UK and despite the criticisms of it I really enjoyed it while I was playing. Maybe that was more to do with the lack of anything else Nascar for some time. I played all the old Papyrus\Sierra Nascar games back in the day but had to move to console for financial reasons back in 2010 as couldn't afford the price for a new PC to run the racing titles I wanted at that time.

Would this version be a good purchase. Is it that much of am improvement over the first one? I have an Xbox gift card sitting on my racing desk and have kept checking the store thinking about buying it but have so far held off.

Cheers for any and all comments relating to this.

I'm not a developer, I'm an artist, and I don't even work at the studio that develops the game. And I'd like an option for exclusive full screen too. My problems with the PC release are the same problems that everyone else faces. If this is an issue that you're particularly passionate about, I suggest you @704nascarheat on Twitter and suggest it. The person that manages the account is receptive and that's the best channel for feedback.

Some context... MGI hadn't made a major console game since Test Drive Eve of Destruction for Atari in 2004 and Excite Truck on the Wii in 2006. Since then, they were only lending their hands to help on other major Nintendo first party games, like Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze and Xenoblade Chronicles. So what you saw with Heat Evolution was a studio that was relearning the ropes and making their first racing game, ten years after the last one, without any of the resources you typically accumulate from a long-running franchise.

They charged EUR 60,- for their learning experience - my heart bleeds....

Would this version be a good purchase. Is it that much of am improvement over the first one?

I find that after sinking a LOT of hours into NASCAR Heat Evolution, fatigue settled in for me relatively quickly on NASCAR Heat 2. It is absolutely primarily the same thing again. The main question is, do you want more of it? And are you willing to start from scratch without all of those speed ratings set and all that progress made?

Because if you're just looking to jump in and play something NASCAR for a bit, it's absolutely an improvement, no doubt. I found the career in this one less engaging and the challenges a tad bit more dull, but the actual core gameplay, while mostly ostensibly the same, is definitely sharpened up a good bit. The Trucks and Xfinity vehicles do feel significantly different, though only the Cup cars really feel quite like I expect.

I'd say if it's at all vaguely interesting to you and it's on sale and you just want to play standalone races, or especially do local splitscreen, it's totally worth it. If not on sale, it's... well, a harder sell. And the paid DLC is really not worth it with the wealth of paint schemes and all included by default, though I quite like Alex Hayden as a spotter.

NASCAR Heat 2 2018 Season Update 1.jpg

NASCAR Heat 2 '2018 Season' DLC update is here, new cars, new liveries, new drivers and a new track included!

Available to purchase as additional DLC content right now, the '2018 Season' DLC pack allows players the opportunity to chose between both the 2017 and 2018 NASCAR Monster Energy season cars and drivers. It is worth noting however that the new Charlotte Roval and the 2018 cars, drivers and liveries will only be available in Quick Race, Championship, Split Screen, and Career modes, with online multiplayer not compatible with the new content.

2018 Season Update Highlights
  • New Drivers
  • Updated Teams & Roster
  • New 2018 Paint Schemes
  • Updated 2018 Schedule
  • New Chevrolet Camaro Model
  • New Track - Charlotte Roval
2018 Season Update Roster - Monster Energy NASCAR only
  • Jamie McMurray, Cessna
  • Brad Keselowski, Discount Tire & Miller Lite (for players ages 21 and up) or BRAD K
  • Austin Dillon, DOW
  • Chase Cabre, Max Siegel Inc.
  • Kevin Harvick, Jimmy Johns
  • Trevor Bayne, AdvoCare
  • Chase Elliott, NAPA Auto Parts
  • Aric Almirola, Smithfield
  • Denny Hamlin, FedEx Express
  • Ryan Blaney, Menards
  • Ty Dillon, Geico
  • Clint Bowyer, Haas Automation
  • Ricky Stenhouse, Jr, Fastenal
  • Kyle Busch, M&M’s
  • Daniel Suarez, Arris
  • Erik Jones, DeWalt
  • Paul Menard, Menards
  • Joey Logano, Shell/Pennzoil
  • William Byron, Axalta
  • Ryan Newman, Caterpillar
  • Matt DiBendetto, Can-Am
  • Michael McDowell, Love’s
  • Chris Buescher, Kleenex
  • Hailie Deegan, Monster Energy
  • David Ragan, Shriners Hospital
  • Kurt Busch, Haas Automation/Monster Energy
  • Kyle Larson, Credit One
  • Darrell Wallace Jr, Click ‘n Close
  • Todd Gilliland, Pedigree
  • AJ Allmendinger, Kroger Click List
  • Jimmie Johnson, Lowe’s
  • Harrison Burton, DEX Imaging
  • Ty Majeski, Roush Fenway Racing
  • Brendan Gaughan, Beard Oil Distributing
  • Carl Long, CrashClaimsRUs
  • Cole Whitt, RTIC Coolers
  • Martin Truex Jr, Bass Pro Shops/5 Hour Energy
  • Alex Bowman, Nationwide Insurance
  • Kasey Kahne, Procore
  • DJ Kennington, LORDCO/Castrol
NASCAR Heat 2 is available for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC now.

NASCAR Heat 2 2018 Season Update 2.jpg

Check the NASCAR Heat 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for more news and discussion around 704Games latest NASCAR title.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Have you tried the 2018 Season Update release yet? What are your impressions? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
is this one any good ?
i'm not the biggest fan of Nascar, but if there was a properly done game about it, I would be interested to try it out

how does it compare to iRacing oval experience?

The game is simcade, if you are not expecting a full blown sim racer you may end up having fun on the ovals. The road tracks are somewhat weaker in terms of handling and ai. As for the 2018 season, the publishers did a pretty nice thing. Instead of a cut and paste Heat 3 we get the Monster Energy 2018 championship as an affordable dlc.

Must say that took away some of the bad taste of the previous game and I am looking forward to their further development.

My main advice, race at 100+ ai and at least 13% races, better yet 25%, because the short races do not show the true potential for fun racing.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.