My thoughts about the forum and the community

BhZ

Simdriver for Singularity Racing
Lately i've been particularly active on this forum and i took part to many discussions. One in particular got my attention. It was about the fact that fast drivers don't help rookies during practice. I think it's true, but at the same time i think many rookies don't even ask. I raced a lot recently on RD and i think i remember just one question in something like 8 races: "what wings are you guys running?". That was the only question that someone asked during practice. This got me thinking about the community and the forum and i noticed that the majority of the posts here on RD are about peripheral issues, graphical issues, news, random stuff. Now, in a simracing forum i'd expect more questions about cars, tracks, driving tecnique...Asking question in a 30 minutes practice just before the race won't make you a better driver for the simple reason that if you are not already a great driver, 30 minutes are barely enough to stay on track and possibly find good braking points. What will make you a better driver is to ask question on the forum, get an answer to it and apply in an offline session what you just learned until it becomes natural.
Everyone is free to do whatever he wants and race every night with a different car in a different track, but my advice is to take at least half of the days you'd race to just choose a car and a track and practice. Push the car, be curious about where is the limit of it. That is the only way to actually improve. Racing every day doesn't give you the time to get confidence with a car or a track, so you will improve, but at a much slower speed and you won't have time to work on the setup, because it's useless to work on the setup if you still have to find the limit of the car.
So my request is as follows: Ask about anything related to a car or track here on the forum, even if it's a stupid question, there are people here ready to help.
I also have a suggestion for the RD staff: In order to improve the quality of racing on RD, it would be cool in my opinion to have nights where instead of racing, you guys set up a server with a car and a track (possibly a combo that will be used in the next RD event) where people can sign up (like in a normal race) and practice for a couple of hours. So you have some sort of "practice event" where people willing to improve can learn more and where hopefully some of the fast guys (which usually practice a lot) will come as well and help.
Just to be sure, since english is not my first language, i want to specify that this is just my opinion and advice to try to improve the quality of driving. Let me know what are your thoughts about it and if you have other ideas that could make this forum a better place.

Ahhh the life of a student:thumbsup: I don't know how you do it. I'm so glad we didn't have Sim Racing when I was going to College. I would have been a walking Zombie:D
1-2 races a week, 1-2 hours of practice in the week. Works okay, but I am waiting and waiting and waiting for the race to start and have to go to bed immediately after it :inlove:
I know the starting times are "the best for all" but maybe ONE earlier event could get enough drivers? Maybe there is a time when all time zones could race together...:notworthy:

@Andy Jackson I'd like to explain better why i don't like to share setups. A simracing driver value comes from 2 things: driving style and setup. Sharing a setup is like taking a part of me and putting it in your car. I worked hard to be where i am and i think i have the right to be jealous of my work, i don't see what's wrong in that. Yes, maybe others have no problem doing that, maybe they have a less competitive mind or they simply don't care about their result in a race. I understand that the races that RD organizes are for fun, but a race is a competition, otherwise it would be a track day. That doesn't mean that we can't have fun.

@Andy Jackson I'd like to explain better why i don't like to share setups. A simracing driver value comes from 2 things: driving style and setup. Sharing a setup is like taking a part of me and putting it in your car. I worked hard to be where i am and i think i have the right to be jealous of my work, i don't see what's wrong in that. Yes, maybe others have no problem doing that, maybe they have a less competitive mind or they simply don't care about their result in a race. I understand that the races that RD organizes are for fun, but a race is a competition, otherwise it would be a track day. That doesn't mean that we can't have fun.

I understand Bhz. You are competitive and you don't want to share your work. I understand. No problems. We are all different.:thumbsup:
@Bobby Pennington I am just curious as to why you disagree with me. Which part of that quoted bit did you disagree with as I genuinely confused mate?

OK Bobby, you can agree or disagree, but can I ask which part of the bit quoted above you disagree with?
Cheers
Andy:thumbsup:
Thanks for your reply Andy. Just a little about myself so you understand where I'm coming from. I do what I do because I love people and helping them in any way I can. I believe most of us here in the RD community probably have similar feelings. I also have given golf lessons for over 20 years so while different than sim racing there are some things that carry over like education and work. Most people come to me and truly want help, they get it and then they don't practice again until I see them the next time. We just keep revisiting what we've already covered because they didn't work on what we went over and they are not able to really improve. Just a redundant cycle, but hey, if they're happy, so be it. Then I hear them bad mouth another teacher saying they didn't learn anything when really they didn't practice. Who's fault is it? Mine? Theirs? It's very frustrating.

Andy I disagree about the drivers lack of understanding and not having the time to practice. I believe if you enjoy something you should be willing to educate yourself and practice a little to get better. They don't have to go to extremes, just a little studying and application. I started with no knowledge of the science or racecraft required for motorsports and I still have most of it:D Seriously though, I watched and I read, I learned and I practiced for almost 30 years and I still........suck, but I try. It's all about the chase for me. Some guys it's not. I also enjoy the camaraderie more than the racing itself. We all have our reasons for going round and round in circles.

I hope this helps and sorry for the confusion. Have a great day:thumbsup:

I'm disappointed at this answer tbh, it makes me feel daft as I really can't understand how to make setups, how they work, what to change and not to change as it all interact with each other. Also it makes me feel lazy as I cannot make myself practice every hour of the day even though I am at home all day long being on sick leave since 2012.
Even more disappointed though am I at myself as there is no way in the foreseeing future that I will feel better so I also can improve here in the Club races

Andy I disagree about the drivers lack of understanding and not having the time to practice. I believe if you enjoy something you should be willing to educate yourself and practice a little to get better. They don't have to go to extremes, just a little studying and application. I started with no knowledge of the science or racecraft required for motorsports and I still have most of it:D Seriously though, I watched and I read, I learned and I practiced for almost 30 years and I still........suck, but I try. It's all about the chase for me. Some guys it's not. I also enjoy the camaraderie more than the racing itself. We all have our reasons for going round and round in circles.

I hope this helps and sorry for the confusion. Have a great day:thumbsup:

Thanks for your reply Bobby.
But lets get this straight, not everyone thinks like that or has the time to be like that. But just because some of us are like that does not make us lazy or useless. You also disagree with sharing setups and that's cool but not in the spirit of club racing here in my opinion.
ps, I really didn't think you should have deleted my comments to BHZ just because he's your buddy. They were relevant and not a personal attack. I just stated that I felt for his predicament with us slow guys spoiling his fun. No harm done.
Have a nice day too.:thumbsup:

But lets get this straight, not everyone thinks like that or has the time to be like that. But just because some of us are like that does not make us lazy or useless. You also disagree with sharing setups and that's cool but not in the spirit of club racing here in my opinion.
ps, I really didn't think you should have deleted my comments to BHZ just because he's your buddy. They were relevant and not a personal attack. I just stated that I felt for his predicament with us slow guys spoiling his fun. No harm done.
Just so i understand. We give the possibility to work on the setup. Then the faster guy share it with everyone (because almost everyone will want the best setup), so everyone race with the same setup...isn't it easier to use fixed setup from the beginning? This way i stop wasting an hour for every race for the setup just to share it with everyone else; we lower the skill gap between drivers and you get close racing. Personally, i wouldn't like it because for me simracing is driving and setup, but if i have to be seen like a ****** just because i don't like to share it, what's the point in having it in the first place.

Just so i understand. We give the possibility to work on the setup. Then the faster guy share it with everyone (because almost everyone will want the best setup), so everyone race with the same setup...isn't it easier to use fixed setup from the beginning? This way i stop wasting an hour for every race for the setup just to share it with everyone else; we lower the skill gap between drivers and you get close racing. Personally, i wouldn't like it because for me simracing is driving and setup, but if i have to be seen like a ****** just because i don't like to share it, what's the point in having it in the first place.

No it's up to you. If you don't want to share that's your choice. I personally never even ask for setups from other club members as I prefer to slightly tinker with my own car but others might benefit from a shared setup. Surely you would like someone to be benefiting from your expertise and race closer with you?
No need to feel guilty BhZ, you do what you like but for me I feel the club scene is about having fun and sharing info but each to their own. :thumbsup: I don't mind the "lazy" types either as long as the racing is good fun and everyone races to the RD rules.

I'm disappointed at this answer tbh, it makes me feel daft as I really can't understand how to make setups, how they work, what to change and not to change as it all interact with each other. Also it makes me feel lazy as I cannot make myself practice every hour of the day even though I am at home all day long being on sick leave since 2012.
Even more disappointed though am I at myself as there is no way in the foreseeing future that I will feel better so I also can improve here in the Club races
Lars, I hope I didn't make you feel that way. If I did, I sincerely apologize. I'm as thick as they come on most days:confused: I would be glad to help you understand what I understand about setups. It works for me, but the guys that are really fast have that something special that I don't. I believe it's knowledge, God given talent and above all else hard work. I've used Matteo's setup he shared with me and I'm nowhere as quick as him. Did it help? Yes a little, but I learn more from riding onboard with him and then going out and practicing some of what I see him doing. I can't do it all like him because he is sooooooooo freaking good on the brakes I just sit there with my mouth open in amazement:unsure::):notworthy:
I too have a health battle I'm fighting since 2010 so I sympathize with how you feel. That's what is so great about this community. It gives an old codger like me a place to socialize, share and hang out with some great guys.
Don't ever give up on yourself (health, I need a liver because of a hereditary condition) or your ability to learn and improve. Let's fight till the end and make small incremental steps.... together if you want. Just PM me anytime mate.

Cheers and prayers to you and yours:thumbsup::)

As far as I can remember no one at all have said that you should share your setup.
You made a post about you feeling it unfair having to do so. If you haven't made that post, not one had known you felt so and cared even less.

When making a post you really HAVE to, not should, understand that other can have different opinions than you and they have every right to tell you so!

You then stated less skilled drivers to be lazy and ruin your fun, that's very condascending.
You are demanding respect but are at the very same time utterly disrespectful of other members here in RD, dude really?

Seeing that RD Staff is agreeing with you and your statements that;
First you need have talent to be a fast driver
Second have the time and stamina do practice a lot
Third have the brains to understand how and why to make setups
to even participate in Club Races, I am so sorry that I misunderstood all this.

As I neither have the talent skill, stamina or brains to be a real pro as you are I suppose I should stay offline, atleast away from Club races so I don't ruin your fun.

Oh believe me Andy I know not everyone thinks like I do and that is a great thing. As far as the term lazy, well maybe there is a better term to use, but in todays climate I feel like any word used will offend someone. I'm lazy in that aspect because I'm too tired to drag the thesaurus out or Boogle it:D:D And NOBODY is useless, except yours truly. I'm a waste of space, but a legend in my own mind:roflmao::roflmao:

I absolutely do agree with sharing setups:thumbsup: I wish everyone would, but if someone doesn't, I understand and it doesn't bother me. I just got beat last night by a friend whom I've been working with on his steering wheel settings and of course my setups and tips. Tickled me to death to see him win and the progress he's made. I've seen it coming and he finally put it together. Now if I could just help myself:(:D

As far as your comments, I didn't delete or edit anything. I was out of town all last week when this thread was started so I've no idea who did that, but I'm sure they have a reason. Wish I could tell you more.

Have a great day

As far as I can remember no one at all have said that you should share your setup.
You made a post about you feeling it unfair having to do so. If you haven't made that post, not one had known you felt so and cared even less.

When making a post you really HAVE to, not should, understand that other can have different opinions than you and they have every right to tell you so!

You then stated less skilled drivers to be lazy and ruin your fun, that's very condascending.
You are demanding respect but are at the very same time utterly disrespectful of other members here in RD, dude really?

Seeing that RD Staff is agreeing with you and your statements that;
First you need have talent to be a fast driver
Second have the time and stamina do practice a lot
Third have the brains to understand how and why to make setups
to even participate in Club Races, I am so sorry that I misunderstood all this.

As I neither have the talent skill, stamina or brains to be a real pro as you are I suppose I should stay offline, atleast away from Club races so I don't ruin your fun.
I'm sorry to say this, but i haven't even finished to read your comment because with the first 4 rows i noticed that you changed (once again) the words i've said and the meaning of my post. As i already suggested you, please read again my comments. I won't repeat myself again. I honestly don't care about how you see me, i'm here to race and i've already demonstrated that i'm always ready to help others. If you want to keep thinking that you ruin my races, then do so, those are not my words.

I'm sorry to say this, but i haven't even finished to read your comment because with the first 4 rows i noticed that you changed (once again) the words i've said and the meaning of my post. As i already suggested you, please read again my comments. I won't repeat myself again. I honestly don't care about how you see me, i'm here to race and i've already demonstrated that i'm always ready to help others. If you want to keep thinking that you ruin my races, then do so, those are not my words.

Oh FFS atleast take responsability for your own words and at the same time explain what you mean! I asked you in my very first answer to you to clarify what you meant as I could very possibly misunderstood you but you have come forward with absolutely nothing!

Oh FFS atleast take responsability for your own words and at the same time explain what you mean! I asked you in my very first answer to you to clarify what you meant as I could very possibly misunderstood you but you have come forward with absolutely nothing!
I answered more than once and explained very carefully what i meant (maybe you didn't see that message). It's not a coincidence that just 2 of you are offended by what i've said. As many say, it's hard to not offend someone in 2017. I honestly have no more time to waste. See me as you want, I've done everything in my power to be polite and respectfull. If that's not enough for some of you, i'm sorry but i can't help you.

To everyone in this thread that it applies to and I'll include myself. Can we PLEASE TONE DOWN some of the rhetoric? We're all in the same boat...the good, the bad and yes the uber slow like me. We don't talk to one another in this fashion face to face........well except Conor McGregor and he puts his money where his mouth is:D
conor-mcgregor-facebook-20160108-pic.jpg

At least I certainly hope we don't handle our day to day lives this way.

Thank you

Last edited:
Guys.... GUYS! :O_o:
Yes @Lars Rystedt , @BhZ sounds a bit harsh and egoistic, but he isn't. "It's his actions who define a man, not his words".
I can 100% understand why you feel offended, why you think he is an a** but I can promise you: if you would ask him here at the Forums, before or after a race and say something like "hey man, I saw you are a very fast guy. Can you send me one of your setups so I can look into it and see what you do different than me so I can catch up?" He will 100% give you the setup like he did with @Bobby Pennington !
And like he did with me (no setup but a lot of advice) :)
So please don't exaggerate that this much. As said, I can understand what you read in his words, but please don't start a fight, just accept how it is at the moment and believe us, that he actually is a nice guy!:)

And @BhZ I don't get why you have to be so stubborn about it.:speechless:
Yes, you got misunderstood, but please see what your words can do. That's what happens when you write on the internet. You write "yes, absolutely" and people will read "no, screw you" into it. And if I wouldn't know you better than only from this thread, I maybe would understand you as wrong as Lars. So maybe you actually have to work a bit on your "niceness" when typing :)
It's like it is and I can also promise you, that @Lars Rystedt is a very kind guy too! I raced with him at Le Mans and talked a few words with him.

So what we have here:
Two intelligent, stubborn guys who are fighting over words and won't accept, that it's just a misunderstanding...:inlove:

Guys.... GUYS! :O_o:
Yes @Lars Rystedt , @BhZ sounds a bit harsh and egoistic, but he isn't. "It's his actions who define a man, not his words".
I can 100% understand why you feel offended, why you think he is an a** but I can promise you: if you would ask him here at the Forums, before or after a race and say something like "hey man, I saw you are a very fast guy. Can you send me one of your setups so I can look into it and see what you do different than me so I can catch up?" He will 100% give you the setup like he did with @Bobby Pennington !
And like he did with me (no setup but a lot of advice) :)
So please don't exaggerate that this much. As said, I can understand what you read in his words, but please don't start a fight, just accept how it is at the moment and believe us, that he actually is a nice guy!:)

And @BhZ I don't get why you have to be so stubborn about it.:speechless:
Yes, you got misunderstood, but please see what your words can do. That's what happens when you write on the internet. You write "yes, absolutely" and people will read "no, screw you" into it. And if I wouldn't know you better than only from this thread, I maybe would understand you as wrong as Lars. So maybe you actually have to work a bit on your "niceness" when typing :)
It's like it is and I can also promise you, that @Lars Rystedt is a very kind guy too! I raced with him at Le Mans and talked a few words with him.

So what we have here:
Two intelligent, stubborn guys who are fighting over words and won't accept, that it's just a misunderstanding...:inlove:
I'm not fighting with him. I wrote my first message. Some people misunderstood, probably because of how i wrote it. I explained myself and even more important, i've demonstrated who i am in previous threads and races. If after a week that is not enough, i can't simply say "Lars, i'm a good guy". I just give up. What i had to say is written on this very thread. He either decides to believe in what i say or not. I'm certainly not going to argue with him for this. My life goes on no matter what.

I'm not fighting with him. I wrote my first message. Some people misunderstood, probably because of how i wrote it. I explained myself and even more important, i've demonstrated who i am in previous threads and races. If after a week that is not enough, i can't simply say "Lars, i'm a good guy". I just give up. What i had to say is written on this very thread. He either decides to believe in what i say or not. I'm certainly not going to argue with him for this. My life goes on no matter what.
I know, I know... Well it has two sides.
You did explain yourself, you demonstrated it. But your tone while doing it is kind of "Here, see? I am not an ass and now stop blaming me you little peasant".:cautious:
It's just how you write, I know that and I don't read that peasant-part into it.
I just wanted to point out, that if you just would type a bit more friendly this whole discussions wouldn't even have started.:roflmao:

Of course you are free to write how you want and I, myself don't have any problem with that. It's direct and effective :cool::thumbsup:

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • More leagues

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • Prizes

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • Trophies

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 3 5.6%