My thoughts about the forum and the community

BhZ

Simdriver for Singularity Racing
Lately i've been particularly active on this forum and i took part to many discussions. One in particular got my attention. It was about the fact that fast drivers don't help rookies during practice. I think it's true, but at the same time i think many rookies don't even ask. I raced a lot recently on RD and i think i remember just one question in something like 8 races: "what wings are you guys running?". That was the only question that someone asked during practice. This got me thinking about the community and the forum and i noticed that the majority of the posts here on RD are about peripheral issues, graphical issues, news, random stuff. Now, in a simracing forum i'd expect more questions about cars, tracks, driving tecnique...Asking question in a 30 minutes practice just before the race won't make you a better driver for the simple reason that if you are not already a great driver, 30 minutes are barely enough to stay on track and possibly find good braking points. What will make you a better driver is to ask question on the forum, get an answer to it and apply in an offline session what you just learned until it becomes natural.
Everyone is free to do whatever he wants and race every night with a different car in a different track, but my advice is to take at least half of the days you'd race to just choose a car and a track and practice. Push the car, be curious about where is the limit of it. That is the only way to actually improve. Racing every day doesn't give you the time to get confidence with a car or a track, so you will improve, but at a much slower speed and you won't have time to work on the setup, because it's useless to work on the setup if you still have to find the limit of the car.
So my request is as follows: Ask about anything related to a car or track here on the forum, even if it's a stupid question, there are people here ready to help.
I also have a suggestion for the RD staff: In order to improve the quality of racing on RD, it would be cool in my opinion to have nights where instead of racing, you guys set up a server with a car and a track (possibly a combo that will be used in the next RD event) where people can sign up (like in a normal race) and practice for a couple of hours. So you have some sort of "practice event" where people willing to improve can learn more and where hopefully some of the fast guys (which usually practice a lot) will come as well and help.
Just to be sure, since english is not my first language, i want to specify that this is just my opinion and advice to try to improve the quality of driving. Let me know what are your thoughts about it and if you have other ideas that could make this forum a better place.

I dont practice at all offline, I learned that at the beginning that there are to much differences between off- and online servers, input lag, settings etc. So only online practice= Check
Yes I did participate in Bram's academy, which made me in I believe safer, more confident and faster. Though faster do not equal fast, I am still slow. So academy= Check

As for asking about help, I try not to do that to much or to advanced that needs a long and is time consuming to explain. So my questions is for most of the type that can be answered with a yes or no. Many questions is still often met with silence, either dont understood, missed or busy and then forgotten. I am not offended by not getting an answer but I won't repeat it, and then I forget my own question.
When I am on the server and someone else pops in I dont jump at him or her to help me, that one is there on their own time to practice, not to teach me. Their time is precious and I do not feel I have the right to ask them to give me that.
Also, I cannot ask for help that is in any sense conditional, that is, I cannot promise that I will practice 4 hours every day, or 1 hour this day.. or even what happens in the next 15 minutes.
But now everything change, it's now race for lalp times and positions and less for a fun time. I am not sure anymore if club races is so much for me, I will practice the Mazda for tomorrow, then I'll see
For me the name change to friendly instead of Rookie plus the discussions going on in the forums did change exactly that!
I started out of pits at Nürburgring with a 10s penalty... Doorbell rang and I was too late with fueling after Qualifying.
I got 18th I think but 8th in Qualifying.
I didn't bothered much with overtaking trying to reach top ten! Instead I enjoyed some casual battling with the others without much pressure :)
My offer still stands: we can do an hour or so practicing together. I really like to analyze things and I will learn something too while helping you :)

Nothing changed. If practicing spoil your fun, don't practice. Everyone is free to do whatever he wants. No one will judge you for that. A race is always about laptimes and position but that doesn't mean you can't have fun.
I don't mind practicing at all, but the focus changed. From learning track so to have fun in race is now a chase for tenths of seconds... This means I need to concentrate harder and longer and I get physically ill and getting headaches. Then bring on the feeling of not being good enough...

I don't mind practicing at all, but the focus changed. From learning track so to have fun in race is now a chase for tenths of seconds... This means I need to concentrate harder and longer and I get physically ill and getting headaches. Then bring on the feeling of not being good enough...
Then get back to the "old focus". Race just for the satisfaction of doing it.

For me the name change to friendly instead of Rookie plus the discussions going on in the forums did change exactly that!
I started out of pits at Nürburgring with a 10s penalty... Doorbell rang and I was too late with fueling after Qualifying.
I got 18th I think but 8th in Qualifying.
I didn't bothered much with overtaking trying to reach top ten! Instead I enjoyed some casual battling with the others without much pressure :)
My offer still stands: we can do an hour or so practicing together. I really like to analyze things and I will learn something too while helping you :)
Thanks Rasmus, I been at the track for two hours already trying. I'll nurse my head reading news and forums a bit now, less concentrating and not so hard in the eyes.

May I ask how long are you having a ffb wheel and playing sims? :)
I know the thoughts you are having and I think it's important to find a way to reach the step after it, where chasing tenth becomes fun again and doesn't need your hardcore concentration anymore. But that takes time and maybe someone who helps to get to it.
But at one point it is like it is: track racing is always about chasing the time. That's why a few friends of mine hate it and are only playing dirt rally...

May I ask how long are you having a ffb wheel and playing sims? :)
I know the thoughts you are having and I think it's important to find a way to reach the step after it, where chasing tenth becomes fun again and doesn't need your hardcore concentration anymore. But that takes time and maybe someone who helps to get to it.
But at one point it is like it is: track racing is always about chasing the time. That's why a few friends of mine hate it and are only playing dirt rally...
I got my wheel just after new year and started playing then before that nothing for 15 years. I never began with the intention of being a fantastic and amazing driver, I wanted to have fun, preferably with others that felt the same with a slack and not a hardcore attitude. And even better if there where some with the same skill. But I am always last doing silly mistakes which has been fine with me up until now. Well, ghost is out of the bottle and I am not sure how to get it back, practice is now more streanous and less fun. I did read the post of understeeriing, I do sneak up and hangiing over faster drivers shoulders to see breakpoints, lines, watched videos you name it, odds are that I've tried it... but I really dont have the talent to put it to reality...

"Lars" for 99% of the time i care not were i come, who overtakes me, if i overtake anyone.
I just enjoy all the battles, or just circulating with real people on the track.
If you just enjoyed your practice, enjoy racing againt other people, if your meant to be a
front runner then so be it, trying to force it will not bring much satisfaction.
Chill and try to get you and the car to flow.
I am constantly in a psychological battle with those catching me or me catching someone
else. Planning were i am going to end up, thinking if i need some extra pace , or take a pragmatic
view and consolidate my position. Or it all goes completly wrong.
I am lucky that i have been in a winning position in my life, it got quite boring, good for the ego
though the reality is that it is your own virtual thought, so so much better to have fun.

I still get pissed of if i am punted off though

Sometimes I think racing drivers real or sim may, just may possibly have a tiny ego :) and may think we already know enough, are as fast as the faster person, or that it is just the setup that makes the difference in speed.
It's in anything we guys do. Most of us that do competitive things have a little Alpha male in us. This is why I race in some EU races. In our races I'm fairly competitive so when I'm feeling really confident, I'll pop over and race with the EU guys and get my butt handed to me most times:confused: It also makes me better.....a little at a time.
A race is always about laptimes and position but that doesn't mean you can't have fun.
Exactly. I have more fun than anyone and Matteo is easily 2-5 seconds faster than me on most nights, but I still chase. When I see that a really fast guy is getting close to me (leader board gaps) I try and really concentrate and make it take as long as possible for him to catch me before I have to yield the position to him. I don't race him, I mean come on he's about to put me a lap down, but if I drive really consistently I can put it off. I always find little games within the game to entertain myself and always finish every race....even when my car is like a washing machine on the Spin Cycle:D:D

I can understand the discussion going on. The races are supposed to make fun. That is what this thing is about. I also can't understand sometimes how someone can be that much faster in qualy and try to force me and the car to go faster. But I will always end up getting slower. You brake too late, miss the apex or slide too much.

The TT is very sensible and every slide means loosing time. If I relax and don't care so much about time and just watch to get a good line and to concentrate on braking points the time will improve with more laps on the circuit.

What I often see in practice is that people don't use the full road and miss the apex. When I am completely new to a circuit I will try to roll around that circuit really slow and just get an idea of the racing line and how to use the full road. Next step is to find right braking points (things that you can remember good like a marshal or a kerb). First these braking points have to be save that you won’t miss the apex. Then you can try to brake later so that you don't have to apply the throttle before the apex. That is a thing I have done wrong a long time. I was braking too much and then on the throttle again because I was too slow before reaching the apex. Because I was on the throttle I got understeer and thought omg you were tooo fast break more.... But it was the opposite of that.

And it is extremely important to be kind to your car. Don't force it. Have smooth inputs and perhaps make your tire noise a little bit louder. You don't won't to hear them scream, just a little bit of noise. In the TT if I steer to fast in Vallelunga last corner I will slide slightly and lose 0,3 s per lap.

It is also good to save your best lap as a replay. Then watch it in slow-motion and check for your racing line: where do i start to brake, using the full road, hit the apex, not on throttle before apex. You will see things to improve and then go out and try to focus just on the one main issue you have seen. Cure it and go to the next one.

First it is a lot of work to be done, but with some weeks you will get used to it and do it in your normal practice laps.

I also think it is very good to have practice session together. Just PM me and I will love to do some laps with you.

How about i ask if i can set you up a server with a car and a track
RasmusP has been testing the Lotus 2-Eleven and its a great car to learn with, it has all the characteristics of a bigger car but at a slower speed so you have more time to react.
We can give the server a name, so you can arrange practice times as you wish if needed.
you can have free reign of setups ect.. you can discuss laptimes in the thread, use it as a advanced driving ect.

there will be no races its just for practice. maybe some of the fast guys can help the slower guys in there. teach them what they know. you can use the set up thread to post the setups you create. and adjust them as required in game. you can then watch the replay of the faster guys and go back to try and emulate what they have done.

The server would be taken down at race times so there is no conflict of interest

its just a idea, but we can try it if you like. but as usual only premium members may join the server, anybody found giving out the password to none premium members will be banned.
You may want to make the thread in the Paddock club section, but what you do may encourage other to join our premium membership if we leave it down here for all to see.:)

You know I should have also mentioned that while I often like to be competitive, other times I go in with little practice and can be fine and have fun toward the back. While I like to learn and analyze it doesn't mean every one needs to enjoy that. There is no right or wrong answer. I have been everywhere on the grid and have had fun from the back to the front.

@Lars Rystedt
@Slalom823 thanks for your input. I agree with you 100% and it feels like BhZ started as the first of many really fast guys who are "crawling out of the fast-zone" in our Threads to happily help. I would like to see you around and someday getting coached by you :thumbsup::inlove:

As BhZ said: I think that we could need more threads were we are actually talking about the driving. To have a place / places where we share our thoughts to give the practice session kind of a "base to talk about". :)

I never said I was a good coach, just that sometimes I enjoy it :)

Also I plan on putting together a thread with some of my favorite learning resources, so hopefully at some point I will get that up and it will be helpful for some people. I think having an area that focuses on driving theory and technique would be great.

On the topic of setups - I'm also of the inclination that being handed setups doesn't help the slower guy at any point. I can't set a car up, and it's not through lack of trying, I just don't understand it enough. I have read articles, tutorials and the rest of it. I can put a large portion of my time loss down to setup, as when the setup is fixed I generally run quite high, but when it's not I run midfield as I have both set the car up badly, and the others are generally set up well.

What I would like to see, is those of us who do know how to get a car set up merely give us pointers for the track that week. Like, "today we are at XY Speedway and this suits a car with soft/hard suspension and short/long gears, and this is generally how you get that, but don't put Z too far or you'll have poor handling". From there we can experiment while knowing we have a starting point that is in the general area of where we want it to be, and lets people who have no knowledge of setup experiment from there. If we screw up the car, we can then easily revert to that general start point. Personally, I learn more by doing, but if I have no idea where my start point is, I'm just taking wild stabs in the dark.

Further, everyone has different driving styles, and being given a setup relies on you having the same style as the guy you got it from, but if you're given a direction with room to adjust the car to your liking, you might find we all start becoming more adept at getting the cars running quicker, which should also help to bunch up the field and reduce the lap delta from first to last.

What I would like to see, is those of us who do know how to get a car set up merely give us pointers for the track that week. Like, "today we are at XY Speedway and this suits a car with soft/hard suspension and short/long gears, and this is generally how you get that, but don't put Z too far or you'll have poor handling".

Who's going to do that though? The staff already volunteers an awful lot of their free time just to get the races going, create the threads, maintain the threads, send out the PMs, etc. I'm guessing a lot of them don't have the time or desire (or maybe even skill) to spend an hour or two with each combo ahead of time to determine what kind of setup is best for that combo. It's a nice thought, but remember that RD staff isn't paid and have lives outside of the club races and what you're suggesting would just add more to their already full plate.

Who's going to do that though? The staff already volunteers an awful lot of their free time just to get the races going, create the threads, maintain the threads, send out the PMs, etc. I'm guessing a lot of them don't have the time or desire (or maybe even skill) to spend an hour or two with each combo ahead of time to determine what kind of setup is best for that combo. It's a nice thought, but remember that RD staff isn't paid and have lives outside of the club races and what you're suggesting would just add more to their already full plate.

You're assuming too much, to start. Frankly, your whole post is done assuming a fact I never alluded to.

I'm not, and I never said, the staff should be the ones to do this. The guys who can do setups, if they wish, would be the ones.

I'm not forcing anyone to do anything, I'm merely throwing my 2p in.

I understood it like you meant it :)
And I think if we all give "the fast guys" the feel of being needed and appreciated if they do that, they will do that just naturally.
Just like the last threads going on here!

It's the only scenario where it's good that AC has so few tracks :p:roflmao:

You're assuming too much, to start. Frankly, your whole post is done assuming a fact I never alluded to.

I'm not, and I never said, the staff should be the ones to do this. The guys who can do setups, if they wish, would be the ones.

I'm not forcing anyone to do anything, I'm merely throwing my 2p in.

Apologies, I must have read it wrong. But if that's the case there's nothing stopping people from doing that now in the race threads.

Except that I don't have the "feeling" that the overall mood encourages it to do so.
But I have the feeling that it's changing :)
I'm going to be setting something up where premium members can join me OR bring another Premium Member onto a server and work with them. As long as things are cordial and we have no reports of non premium members sneaking on I think we'll all be better for it and build something from here.

Is that fair enough? We do try to go above and beyond here at RD. We just ask for your cooperation and help in doing so and for the most part YOU GUYS do your fair share in making this a great community.

I gotta run for now, but I'll see what you guys think and we'll talk again.

BP

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea