My SFX100 Ultimate rig

Just in case someone misread this in the first place....

hmm.jpg

Upvote 0
Yes I said under the conditions it was granted. Is it not, more a moral issue than like a legal issue. You know fine well that the project was fully intended to be a personal d.i.y and it not turn into a commercial platform for others to copy and profit from. The original software was kinda sidestepped too by other alternatives.

What am I missing?

I just don't like it from the perspective the whole situation is disrespectful to the work and community that helped each other in that thread. Those that went through the hassle and achieved what they did.

Thats how I see it personally. To say oh this is not the same, come on we know where the idea and concept came from the OP still even refers to it as SFX 100 when maybe it's now SFX 150. It was inevitable it would happen at some point.

The bottom line could this likely harm or kill the SFX100 program. The price and quality for whats now easily available with this as I don't doubt it will certainly attract others to buy that instead.

Sorry, the whole thing feels sneaky/dirty and touches a nerve with me.
Chances are this will now be copied and re-copied by other companies all using the Thanos controller board. Maybe that will get copied an all someday for a cheaper alternative.

Oh gosh! Mr. Latte, I thought you "have nothing more to say on the matter" and will not "be part of the forums much longer"!

Upvote 0
Just in case someone misread this in the first place....

View attachment 396144

Thank you!

And this is the little video that I made while building the SFX100 initially. It was fun, but also painful and costly to gather all the parts all over the world. The 3D printing was cool but also frustrating at times. It's quality and durability wasn't up to my standard (probably due to my poor printing skill).
I don't understand why having a solution that enable people to buy everything in one place, using better design and fabrication, cooler looking.... that is cheaper and makes it less hassle to the DIY community, was a bad idea!

Upvote 0
Totally agree with @Mr Latte on this one.

It's not about patents, but about respect for the developer who made this all happen.
Buying parts from a company that is openly trying to make money from his designs is just wrong :thumbsdown:

I bet @Tronicgr_6DOF would feel the same if and when that same webshop is starting to sell a knock of his Thanos board.

Best we can do now is ignore this thread, so it will fade away into the many posts here on racedepartment.

Upvote 0
Totally agree with @Mr Latte on this one.

I bet @Tronicgr_6DOF would feel the same if and when that same webshop is starting to sell a knock of his Thanos board.

Like you said, "cheap knock offs", and they are already out there. I don't worry about it. They come with no support or expertise on the matter. It's just your a$$ (or your kid's life) on a 3000watt killing machine after all, its up to you to select safety and security over hacks.

And if end users wanted really cheap, they can use arduino after all, there are many examples and sources on the matter...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oh gosh! Mr. Latte, I thought you "have nothing more to say on the matter" and will not "be part of the forums much longer"!

If people stop quoting me then yes I made my point and expressed my opinion and I wasn't afraid to do so.
Even you had to have another bite, so you want to now antagonize the situation for a reaction?

I am within my right to disagree and defend myself.
You should just own up to the fact you know what has happened isn't right but that you dont care and that's what makes me angry as you flaunt this under the noses of the very people here that put a lot of time and effort into that thread and project. You fail to see how wrong/hurtful that is and you with others then want to make fun of the situation treating it like its all good, we are doing no harm.

Its a lack of respect and sense of decency and then we have some want to be all smug and smarmy about it, go ahead I don't care what you say about me. I do feel that if things like this happen with no official comment or action from the mods/owners of the forums then really whats the point of being part of a community when the community stops having respect for each other.

We can agree to disagree on the matter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't need anyone to agree or disagree on how I build my rig.

I'm sharing with the community that there is an easier, better, and cheaper option with the exact same off the shelf parts, should anyone want to pursue in the project. No one needs to agree or disagree with this.

Upvote 0
I do agree with both sides.......out of respect to the maker/developer they (the company) should have made atleast a contribution on the SFX100 community. But on the otherside they din’t copy any thing or even break a patent or something, it looks different than the original to be honest.

That sayed i would love to have the alumnium ones, and the thing is I cannot make them my self. Maybe the community could make them and sell them on building price.

Upvote 0
I don't need anyone to agree or disagree on how I build my rig.

I'm sharing with the community that there is an easier, better, and cheaper option with the exact same off the shelf parts, should anyone want to pursue in the project. No one needs to agree or disagree with this.

You maybe don't need it but why should people applaud or respect what you did when you didn't respect others?

I can respect what you built but not how/why that it came about.

Indeed it is easier, better, cheaper and I grant you that it looks superb too.
Also thank you for clarifying in your own words "exact same off the shelf parts".

Some might flock to this and update their builds or now totally bypass the SFX project so the least you could do is not call it or refer to it as SFX100. Thats another insult to the original creator.

Upvote 0
I do agree with both sides.......out of respect to the maker/developer they (the company) should have made atleast a contribution on the SFX100 community. But on the otherside they din’t copy any thing or even break a patent or something, it looks different than the original to be honest.

That sayed i would love to have the alumnium ones, and the thing is I cannot make them my self. Maybe the community could make them and sell them on building price.

I believe there are members in the community who designed and make them in aluminium. If I remember correctly the price was very reasonable too IMO (but it was base on the Kinetic profile which was way too costly for me). Most of the CNC machining vendors quoted about US$750 for the full set of motor & bearing mounts, excluding CAD drawing).

Having done both in 3D printing and aluminium, it is a lot more convenient to service the actuators and/or reconfigure your rig with the parts in aluminium. I think in the first 9 months with the SFX100 system, I re-printed some of the bearing mounts at least 3 times because the screw thread was slipped.

Upvote 0
I believe there are members in the community who designed and make them in aluminium. If I remember correctly the price was very reasonable too IMO (but it was base on the Kinetic profile which was way too costly for me). Most of the CNC machining vendors quoted about US$750 for the full set of motor & bearing mounts, excluding CAD drawing).

Having done both in 3D printing and aluminium, it is a lot more convenient to service the actuators and/or reconfigure your rig with the parts in aluminium. I think in the first 9 months with the SFX100 system, I re-printed some of the bearing mounts at least 3 times because the screw thread was slipped.

just why i would like the aluminium as well just service and better strength

Upvote 0
Some might flock to this and update their builds or now totally bypass the SFX project so the least you could do is not call it or refer to it as SFX100. Thats another insult to the original creator.

I don’t agree on that it’s an insult when you buy better stuff like the aluminium it because you really like it but want updates that are stronger.

i really love the SFX 100 project but there is always room for upgrades, thats what ppl do improve everything they think they can improve. I do that to ever thing my paddles, steringwheel and on and on.

i am grateful that there are ppl smart enough for building and developing the SFX 100 but there is always room for better things. Not everyone has the tools to make aluminium stuff as most have a 3d printer.

Upvote 0
I don’t agree on that it’s an insult when you buy better stuff like the aluminium it because you really like it but want updates that are stronger.

i really love the SFX 100 project but there is always room for upgrades, thats what ppl do improve everything they think they can improve. I do that to ever thing my paddles, steringwheel and on and on.

i am grateful that there are ppl smart enough for building and developing the SFX 100 but there is always room for better things. Not everyone has the tools to make aluminium stuff as most have a 3d printer.

Fair points but if someone came and cloned you without your consent and the clone was improved/better, would you mind if they also wanted to use or steal your identity? :D

Upvote 0
Fair points but if someone came and cloned you without your consent and the clone was improved/better, would you mind if they also wanted to use or steal your identity? :D
depending if it's a diy project ...no than i woul'nt, there is always place for a better part.

but if shops/companies are gonna sell the whole system than i am against it unless they pay the developers for it. you get more people working on it and improve things but still have the fun of making it you're self.

Upvote 0
The moment that someone gets "paid", the lawyers from the companies who own the linear actuator will start queuing up at his door :laugh:
But no, it's "donation", of course it's ok then. Tax free too! Smart eh ;)

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea