My frames are plummeting in vr.

I just built a PC with 32gb, an i7-12700k, an rtx 3080, and play with a quest 2 headset.
Anytime I hop on the no hesi servers, or anytime I load a race with over 10 cars, my framerate is just terrible. Unplayable. Im not even running high settings. Is my computer just not powerful enough? I figured a 3080 and i7 would eat AC for breakfeast. I've already tried setting AC as high priority in task manager and all that stuff. What do you guys suggest?

i am not a vr expert. but your system should not be having issues with vr. a 2060 should do vr well let alone what you have. i have done a bit of research in vr as i want to upgrade in the future. and there are certain settings in vr which are extremely resource hungry. i just did a quick google search to find these things out a while ago, play around with your settings as even though you are not on max. just 1 setting thats is to high could ruin the experience. im sure you just need to play around and tweak a setting here and there

also im not sure if this is the case with your exact race/cars. but some cars are not optimised very well at all. maybe you are using cars that are not well optimised. i found this even with some kunos cars i get consistent frame rate drop at certain points on a track and as soon as i move to another car its buttery smooth. hop back in that 1 paticular car again and i get frame drop at certain points all over again. so it has to be to do with the optimisation of that paticular car. i am not in vr though just a single screen

Last edited:
I second the point about specific cars hitting framerate hard. I have to drop settings a fair bit to maintain good VR performance when racing certain mods.

Use FPS-VR to work out if its your CPU or GPU that is struggling. This can clue you in on what settings to drop to get acceptable performance.

Do a few A>B tests with a more simple Kunos car vs your modded cars. The Exige Roadster has very little overhead. Take note of the CPU and GPU frametimes compared to your mods. I've seen some that triple one or the other.

Last edited:
Maybe use single pass stereo in the csp section of the latest preview version and switch of Sol and your frame times and your fps will have a really good boost in VR - tbh when it comes to VR in Assetto, Sol and post processing just makes it visually worse for me with both increasing my frames times whilst hurting my fps. Also am not a fan of the AMD scaling stuff in CSP for VR as I find it increases shimmering and it just overall looks worse imo. Would be great if we could use single pass stereo and ssggaa for Assetto in VR.

12 kunos cars i7 6700k/RTX 2070 Super no problem whatsoever using single pass stereo, no sol, no PP and medium settings, 4xMSAA, 16AF, 130% steamvr supersample using HTC Cosmos. Before single pass stereo arrived I gave up on using Assetto in VR as it ran like pants (bad) - now I have room to spare i.e. really good headroom.

I'm no authority on the subject but I'm of the opinion Assetto is more or less limited to 2 cores only as well, hence why I only use the single pass stereo option which I think is game changing for Assetto Corsa in VR

As Captain Beardface said, dodge dodgy car mods that haven't been optimized and test with Kunos cars first.

Last edited:
A couple of tips:

Turn shadows off, reflections and mirror quality low, and everything else high to maximum

Set oculus to 90hz and 1.0 super sampling in oculus main settings via the oculus software. Then adjust the graphical settings on a game to game basis

Set pixels per display to 2.0 in content manager

Open oculus debug tool
Set FOV tangent multiplier to 0.8 and 0.8 (you won't notice the difference but gain 20% headroom)
Force Mipmap OFF
Adaptive GPU performance OFF
Asynchronous Spacewarp OFF

My system is i7 9700k, 16gb 3200 ram, 3070ti and getting a solid 90fps with 15 ai cars.

Please note though, online servers, even if your ping is low, can stutter, so try this single player and bench from there

• Deleted member 1066209

I'm familiar with the No Hesi servers, and know that it consumes a lot of CPU resources. You're going to want to minimize the load on your CPU. While the above recommendation of turning off shadows is good, I'd also recommend you turn reflections off. Set "World Detail" to minimum.

I also find a lot of resource consumption from the lights in Shutoko.
Go to "LightingFX" and set "Cars casting lights" to a low number. It'll probably annoy you (it annoys me) when you drive past cars and their lights flicker on and off, but smooth gameplay is much more important.

Can you use AMD FSR? If so, try turning it on and see if it improves your experience.

You must have a PP-filter enabled to drive SRP, but you can choose to select one that doesn't affect your FPS too much.
I like this one: https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/minimum-pp-filter.22296/

Also, you have a 12700k. If it's not overclocked, considering doing so.

I've been down this road.

11700k, 12GB 3080, 32GB RAM. Quest 2

Here's what I do:

I turn off all Antialiasing. In AC and CM.

SOL on maximum
World Details maximum
Reflections-One face per frame
Shadows mid/low. Turn this up later if you can
LOD's for cars and tracks maximum-there's a setting for these in CM look around, you'll find it
In AC there's a setting for LOD in general to sharpen things in the distance. No more than .5 increase, or it makes roads shimmer in the Q2, not on my monitor though.
In AC set your PPD to 1.0 to start. Be careful turning this up.

Here's where I found the most success: I use OpenXR instead of SteamVR. The MSFS guys have posted a million YT videos about this.

OpenXR set to 110-120% or so. Play with it to see what your system will support.

In the Oculus app I run resolution maxed and 90fps - that's why 1.0 PPD in AC

Use Oculus Tray Tool. Not the Debug tool.
ASW off
Link Sharpening enabled.
Crank up your link speed as far as you can.

I run these settings and lock 90fps no problem for 99% of my races. I usually have 25-30% overhead left over, judging from Afterburner logs.

Starting grid and T1 might bog into the 70's, but only for the first few seconds. I think the compression in the headset might account for part of that? I don't know for sure.

No-Hesi is it's own thing though. Shutoku is pretty demanding in general, add a bunch of cars in there, and it's rough. Night time and rain will tank FPS too, unless you turn stuff way, way down.

I've been down this road.

11700k, 12GB 3080, 32GB RAM. Quest 2

Here's what I do:

I turn off all Antialiasing. In AC and CM.

SOL on maximum
World Details maximum
Shadows mid/low. Turn this up later if you can
LOD's for cars and tracks maximum-there's a setting for these in CM look around, you'll find it
In AC there's a setting for LOD in general to sharpen things in the distance. No more than .5 increase, or it makes roads shimmer in the Q2, not on my monitor though.
In AC set your PPD to 1.0 to start. Be careful turning this up.

Here's where I found the most success: I use OpenXR instead of SteamVR. The MSFS guys have posted a million YT videos about this.

OpenXR set to 110-120% or so. Play with it to see what your system will support.

In the Oculus app I run resolution maxed and 90fps - that's why 1.0 PPD in AC

Use Oculus Tray Tool. Not the Debug tool.
ASW off
Link Sharpening enabled.
Crank up your link speed as far as you can.

I run these settings and lock 90fps no problem for 99% of my races. I usually have 25-30% overhead left over, judging from Afterburner logs.

Starting grid and T1 might bog into the 70's, but only for the first few seconds. I think the compression in the headset might account for part of that? I don't know for sure.

No-Hesi is it's own thing though. Shutoku is pretty demanding in general, add a bunch of cars in there, and it's rough. Night time and rain will tank FPS too, unless you turn stuff way, way down.
this has been extremely, helpful, many thanks.

A good way to check what you'd need to turn down or shut off is the CSP render stats app.
Here is an example of a CPU limit with the big things extended.
AC_CPU_Limit_Stats_2.jpg

This is cool, I leave this minimized and keep an eye on fps and the timings.

Can you help me understand how to decipher the drop down?
Sure, just take Screenshots and post them here!
You first need to check if the gpu or cpu frame time is higher. To gain fps, you need to reduce the higher one (1 frame is always buffered so the overall frame time isn't cpu+gpu frametime! It's simply the bigger one of those 2 plus some little latency).

Then check what causes the highest frame time for the cpu or gpu (depending what's higher overall).
Some things can't be adjusted but other things can be adjusted easily :)

One mistake Mike has made with his settings is this:

Peter, the creator of SOL and Pure says that rendering frequency must be set to Two faces per frame to get correct results

One thing that cuts GPU frametime down a fair bit for me without noticable image degradation is using vrperfkit to enable foveated rendering. I edit the .yml file so it doesn't do upscaling or anything and simply enables the foveated rendering. I can even lower the radius values there a bit from default (i drop each by 0.2) without seeing any difference but your experience may vary.

Look also in the .yml file for a comment telling you the hotkeys. One of them lets you toggle the foveated rendering on and off so you can see the performance difference you're getting directly.

Definitely recommend FPS-VR if you're not already using it, so you can monitor performance changes when you're tweaking.

Thankfully this is a set it and forget it tweak. Once you're happy it just runs automatically when you play.

Last edited:
One mistake Mike has made with his settings is this:

Peter, the creator of SOL and Pure says that rendering frequency must be set to Two faces per frame to get correct results
Yep, my bad there... I knew it was a change. Two is correct.

These are my main settings in AC VR
All Csp:
Set temporal sharpness in neck fx to 0% and activate in graphic adjustments AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution. It works on NVidia, too.
Set Quality old on Ultra Quality, activate old implementation and set sharpness old on very low.
These settings let me play in Full HD with all, World, overall quality, glare effect and depth of field on maximum and smoke is set on high.
Shadowresolution is 512 and reflection ist 1024. One frame picture. Distance is 1400 m.
Runs on Le Mans FM7 with 43 Cars at night in rain at 71.5 Fps.
Fps is blocked at 73 fps by myself.
I use SOL

Last edited:
I don't think this has anything to do with settings you need to adjust. Your system is plenty strong enough, but it sounds like the server is using mods that do not have LODs. Find any mod car without LODs, put 20 of them on track, and choose a Kunos track of your liking - I can almost guarantee your framerate will plummet. Mods that do not use LODs will bring the strongest system to its knees.

I've tried playing around but no luck, My GPU is 99% usage when trying to play Assetto Corsa in VR. through CM. I have sol and also tried using Natural. Unsure why I can only get as much as 19 FPS.
here are my specs. "Laptop"
Device name MSI
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz
Installed RAM 64.0 GB
RTX 2070
The last thing I tried was setting the priority in realtime for ovr but didn't make any changes on FPS.

Anyone with a similar setup could perhaps point out what I can try.

I've tried playing around but no luck, My GPU is 99% usage when trying to play Assetto Corsa in VR. through CM. I have sol and also tried using Natural. Unsure why I can only get as much as 19 FPS.
here are my specs. "Laptop"
Device name MSI
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz
Installed RAM 64.0 GB
RTX 2070
The last thing I tried was setting the priority in realtime for ovr but didn't make any changes on FPS.

Anyone with a similar setup could perhaps point out what I can try.
19fps is real low, could it be your Laptop is switching to the iGPU? Check the BIOS and disable the iGPU and activate the RTX2070 permanently. Test again.

Still no improvements, just start AC only by steam, use only the Kunos track and cars.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.