325 cars and 100 tracks
1064 sessions over 1911 km in 9 days 19

My once beloved 1986 Toyota MR2 sits collecting dust in the garage and is on non-op and had not been run since 2019. It used less than a full tank annually for years, then completely parked during COVID-19 lock down. Now with Assetto Corsa I do not know when it will get driven again.

Anyway, focusing on Assetto Corsa.

For some reason, perhaps age, I gravitate toward low powered street cars with less grip, like the ST tires than the semi slicks. For hours, weeks and months, I tweaked the suspension.ini files and the setup for the Toyota MR2 Supercharge to make it behave like my real 86 MR2 on the street. Yes, I drove the MR2 to some level of success in local autoX club for a few years. Racing on a tight course, lined with cones is perhaps the most exciting thing I have ever done in real life. But the liveliness of with 185/60/14 street tires and Koni yellow on full soft on the twisties is something I live for. I think I got close with my tweaks driving on Usui touge, and I want more.

But I wish someone who knows more actually create a mod for the landmarked 1985 MR2. Among other wishes, Lotus Elan.

The other day I downloaded the new Alpine A110 and the Lotus 11 mods. And yes, I was excited to tried them out on my “home” track, Laguna Seca. Yes, the A110 was quick and the 11 agile, but .. still I yearn for that delicious feeling of that transition, feeling the front end dives under braking, transitioning into a full bank, carving, clipping the apex, and a smooth nice tracking out into full throttle. Well, the ancient Lotus 11 did not do it. I felt a bit .. dizzy during the turn in, for some unknown reason, and it did rotate willingly, unlike many cars. But everything seemed a bit “numb”. When I looked at the replay, the car looked like it was on a skateboard, stiff and no wheel motion with no body roll.

So yes, the Lotus 11 is beautiful but .. where is your .. soul?

Lotus 11 is probably just not correct, not everyone knows what they're doing. I have a Corvair mod coming out soon that does do most of those things (well maybe not the best at rotating; it is post-unsafeatanyspeed so it doesn't oversteer on a whim)

Re: Lotus 11
I will probably dig into the suspension.ini to see if I can make some changes to satisfy myself. Not that I am so confident about all the suspension tuning.
I wonder if there is a hack to boost BBF from G-force. Perhaps that will give the driver more feedback from just the steering wheel.
Re Corvair
Interesting choice of car mod. Other than being famous for being the target of Nader, it is almost like a poor man's 911. In this video, the driver clearly enjoys the lively nature of its handling. It does rotate.

While on the topic of these rear engine car, I also downloaded several rear-engine cars. The Simca Rallye.. very odd dwb geometry, once the rear started to go, it was impossible to recover. The KS's Abarth 595 has DWB rear suspension making it very benign and yeah driver friendly. Even Singlers felt very numb.

One of my recent favorite is actually the Ape Proto, a smaller version of Deltawing. No idea how real they are, but the way it rotates with throttle is just .. delicious. It is actually mind blowing how things like is workable. All my pre-conceive idea is from the TopGear Reliant roll-over. From just the video shown on the internet, people do not know that those Reliants were rigged to roll. I read that fact sometimes, but the visual and the repetition made the false fact true. (I know in AC it does not actually has 1 front wheel but two front wheel with very short track. Serious, the Ape Proto inspires me to build a 3 wheel Lotus 7, something even more low mass than a Caterham 7.

Lotus 11 is probably just not correct, not everyone knows what they're doing. I have a Corvair mod coming out soon that does do most of those things (well maybe not the best at rotating; it is post-unsafeatanyspeed so it doesn't oversteer on a whim)

And Yenkified on top of that.

my favorite low powered mod car is probably this one, again by Stereo:

especially with the "worse" tire option it dances beautifully around bends

Here are a couple that feel really good. The Porsche 550A feels nice. The Yenko Stinger is great. Lot of feel, very progressive break away. Both are available here in RaceDepartment.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.