AC Multiclass Abarth 500/Mazda MX5@SVEG Raceway, Wed 23rd November 2022

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Did a 30min stint today in the Abarth at Sveg. What a difficult circuit, with virtually flat bends, bends that tighten the more you are in them.:confused:
I think the Mazdas are in for a difficult time, to be competitive in this group, you are going to be flat virtually on every bend. Tolerance for errors is going to be very small.
At least the Abarth has to lift at some point on all bends, that at least gives us a margin to work with.
I probably only completed two laps the rest were scenery visits.:roflmao::roflmao:
Unfortunately in all my scenery visits I did not find any short cuts.:(

Great track for these cars. I couldn't get a decent lap in qualifying and was in the 15s. Thankfully in the race I was straight into the 14s and in the mid pack.

Had some good fights and Robert pitted just in front of me. I stayed out for 15 minutes or so and gained the place on Robert, just, only to through it away with a half spin when I changed down to 2nd by mistake.

The last third of the race was a battle with Thomas, Robert and Raul with Callum catching and Steve staying just ahead.

Robert made a mistake right at the end that gave me the place so P12, I think.

Good racing, everyone.

Another obvious race, I knew I was going to come off, assumed I would not be alone in that..
Pretty much guessed were I would end up, but did not count on the Mazda pace here.
First shock was Fulvio pace, amazing pace, then I found out why. With Jari pace, did not bother me much at first, because the first straight I expected to create a gap, then he would catch, and on and on.
Wrong , he was on my tail lap after lap, I was just lucky on an overtake he made, just overcooked it.
Giving me a gap, I then just settled down to lapping without stress, finally getting caught by the flying Fulvio, tried my best to hold him up for John, but no hope there.
Great event, hate this circuit, it asked more than I have too give, struggled from the off.
Congratulations to podiums and especially Han for a great event and to John and Fulvio on their pace.:)

So... practice went fine, I managed a PB after fiddling with my setup a bit. Qualy was an utter disaster as I just couldn't get a clean lap... I managed a faster lap than on practice but out of bounds. Track limits in this track are narrow at some spots. So, started last hoping to profit from a T1 coming together but it went quite ok on the first laps. A few errors from others got me a few positions at the first stint and I got into a good rhythm catching up cars ahead of me until I made two mistakes after each other... I lost concentration and decided to pit to reset my head.

My pitstop went well and was quick, still came on track second to last... but the pace was there and I started to catch up with the group ahead (Callum, Thomas, Steve, Robert and Doug). Callum had a spin, Thomas pitted and Steve was far ahead but I had a good scrap with Robert and Doug for a couple of laps... we even had a three-wide moment for a couple of corners, that was a blast! :) Thanks for the space guys!

I was happy with my recovery race as I made places and had fun doing so. Like previously mentioned, these cars on this track are just an enjoyable thrill! Thanks for organising Han, you can put this combo under 'favourites' haha! Congratulations to the winners and podiums, I'll see you guys next week... gotta start practicing the next Fat-Alfie track! :D

Last edited:
No idea what place I ended up at the finish, but I know on my way there I raced almost the whole field :D:thumbsup: Nice run off spots this track had :roflmao:

+1 to what was said above. Seemed to me, whoever you were following wasn't going fast enough and whoever was behind you was just waiting to catch you on a straight :laugh:

Looking forward to trying to take those v12 reflex's here this weekend. Good pick Han and good racing everyone :thumbsup:

Last edited:
What a great race! These cars on this track is a real blast. I must say that I was surprised how fast the Mazda were here. The understeery Abarth apparently looses quite some speed in the corners and the straights are just long enough to make up the lost time. After a disasterous first lap I was last (hmm sounds familiar:O_o:) and had to catch up first. When I had closed the gap I found myself at a Mazda party for almost the rest of the race. It was hard work to get on the tail of a Mazda and stay close enough in the turns to get a slipstream on the straight for a late overtake. I hope I did it all legal.
I also had a moment with some weird understeer in turn 2, hit the wall and did a 180 and lost quite some places. So even more partying (and great fun).
Near the end of the race I got close to Pauls Abarth and we had a great battle through several corners. I even managed to overtake him but after small off track he could take his place back. At the finish I was beside him but not enough.

Congrats to the podium. How you can do a 3.10 with the Abarth is amazing! A low 3.12 was the best I could do. Thanks all for racing.
Next week I hope for another blast on the Battenbergring.

I will keep the Caterham in mind for a future event, probably on a Tuesday.
For now I'm quite busy with the Rookie event next week and testing the Emperor server manager as replacement for S.GP.

See you on track!

Last edited:
That was a blast.
I had a quicker setup that i was practicing with earlier in the day but on the night i used the default as it was totally stable, and it paid off for me as i had zero self inflicted problems in the race.
I borked the large S bend at the tail end of the lap a couple of times but only lost a little pace and did not hit anything or spin.
The first half of the race was spent watching and hearing all the drama unfold around me then it started to settle with first Doug obviously hell bent on reeling me in which he was doing by around a half second a lap while i was in my usual untidy part of my race, until i could just make him out lose time on one of the bends and then pit. Drama over until the last 20 mins when i had Robert, Raul and Doug some way back in my mirror with Raul saying, " let's get Steve".
Well, they didn't, probably because they were fighting each other too much and i could just comfortably hold them off till the end. Fiats were a different problem, as hard as i tried i could not ultimately stop them coming past me while being faster in the bends they would close the gap up on the straight or if following i had to scrub off too much speed with no room to pass on the bends without taking a risk.
All told, probably the nicest race i have driven in a while and with everyone playing their part probably also the most fun also. I want to thank everyone who took part and especially Han who put it all together...thanks guys

Thanks for organising last night's race Han, and congrats to class podiums :thumbsup:

Huge apologies to those caught up in my mistake into T3 (2nd or 3rd lap?), adjusted brake bal on the straight and found out the hard way that I put more on the back instead of the front, insta-spin followed. Felt like I'd taken half the field out, so again, sorry to all involved :(

Strange, but lovable track :D hard to get a rhythm, especially T10 - T11, in the Abarth 3rd is too low, 4th needs a perfect line or momentum dies a death.

Great racing by all, had fun trying to get near the front. Had Fulvio behind me for too many laps - inner conversation went like this, "let him go, you're losing pace", "f**k that, I'll get held up on the straight", "see, told you to let him go" :laugh:

tried my best to hold him up for John
.... so, thanks Ernie, but racing with Fulvio is like trying to stop a fecking train! Then of course, those last 20 mins when my concentration screams, "SEE YA!" :roflmao:

Thanks again everyone, cracking event :)

EDIT: Meant to say... was surprised there were a couple of tight-ish corners where the Abarth could comfortably match the Mazda's, really helped to keep the momentum up for the following straight. I used the same setup as Thruxton for here btw

Last edited:
It would be quicker to list those drivers I didn't have some sort of action with in the sixty minutes but a big shout out to Steve, Kimi, Thomas and finally Han for some great bumper to bumper and side by side racing.
The last two laps with Han were epic with every move in the book (and some that are not:O_o:)going on.
A great track /car combo, huge respect to Fulvio and John for their pace, well done podiums and as always thanks to Han for another superb nights entertainment.:):thumbsup:

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • More leagues

Votes: 41 19.5%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.5%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.4%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 14 6.7%