Motorcycle Simulators

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Hardware' started by R1Joel, Nov 6, 2018.

1. R1Joel

R1Joel
    Premium

Ratings:
    +51
    After getting my driving rig setup, and Dad having a go at it, he hasn't stopped talking about a similar setup but for motorcycles.
    I know one would be way harder to setup and way more expensive, but does such a thing exist? What do people use for Motorcycling games?

2. Daniel oliver

Daniel oliver

Ratings:
    +10
    road_rash_i.png

3. RobertR1

RobertR1
    Premium

Ratings:
    +103
    No. You need the g forces and gryo effect to keep you on the bike.

4. callumjtc

callumjtc

Ratings:
    +19
    Technically they do, I have seen a couple with G27 based steering (mounted in the forks) and of course the old Sega arcade games had something approaching a rideable bike sim rig.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Beef36

Beef36

Ratings:
    +46
    I've seen a small number of professional level motorcycle simulators but nothing for the low cost retail market yet.

Perhaps it is where Direct Drive or motion systems were say 6 years ago. Back then they were super expensive and rare. Today they are becoming more mass market.

I copied from a website which summarises some of the complexities:

"...Four-wheel simulators are quite common, and because of the standardisation of control, they’re relatively easy to build. To control a car, you sit in a seat and swing a steering wheel around a single axis that directly correlates
    with the angle you need the vehicle to go in, while accelerating and braking by actuating foot pedals.

Motorcycle simulators are a bit harder to create. Not only because their wheels stay in line when they’re turning corners above a certain speed, but they’re then required to lean over, which reduces the radius of the tyre in order to get them to turn corners. As well as that, they require speed and centrifugal force to stop the machine from wanting to continue to fall all the way to the ground.

Add to this the fact that handlebar input below a certain speed requires direct input (that is, steer left to go left) but once above a certain speed an opposite force is required (steer right to go left) and all of a sudden creating an effective and accurate motorcycle simulator gets shuffled into the too-hard basket..."

• Like Like x 1
  6. Manx-Andi

Manx-Andi
    Premium

Ratings:
    +13
    This fella is getting close to an affordable home user set-up - this video may be 2 years old, but, check out his youtube channel - he is still producing them, now on Version 3.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Turvey

Turvey

Ratings:
    +28
    Lean gp does 1 for 1200 euro looks like a bit of fun for the price

• Like Like x 1
  8. Turvey

Turvey

Ratings:
    +28
  9. R1Joel

R1Joel
    Premium

Ratings:
    +51
    Thanks for the replies everyone. The LeanGP looks great. I'll show him. :)

10. callumjtc

callumjtc

Ratings:
    +19
    After asking and and recieving healthy response, surely you have to build one for us now ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. racingenthusiast

racingenthusiast
    Premium

Ratings:
    +124
    Not enough good bike sim games to waste money on a motorcycle rig even if there where ones. Speaking of bikes I am going to get my riding licence soon. Can not wait!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.