More "role play" in club races?

Arne Dopudja

Leader of the infamous Chevy Gang.
Some brainstorming here; Should we create teams and keep some score for WTCC 06/07 (+STCC?) club races aswell?
Or maybe run a (bi?)weekly saturday event with WTCC+STCC1/2 on various tracks, random weather and different time/lap formats? <- This i believe is even more interesting

The club races are good and all, league requires commitment which some people cannot afford, so this would be some middle ground to add some backstory to our racing, kind of a "soft" league.

...people use it mostly to test new cars, get used to racing on RD, and so on...

Huh? Well, I'd have to disagree on that :) As far as I can tell, many of us are racing for the fun and, of course, the competition (as in the whole race as well as mid-race battles - people even fall back to get into a battle from time to time :)) - sure, some people change cars every now and then, but I think the majority stays "faithful" - at least on Tuesday's races: Dennis in the Alfa, Matthias steering the Honda, the (in)famous "Chevy Gang" :D, myself in my good old Seat and many more.

Personally, I wouldn't try to push this into a special Saturday's event - there are some events every other Saturday (okay, maybe a bit less frequent ;)), but most importantly, this would steer the whole idea towards something more league-like a lot IMHO.

I think Thursday's STCC2 events would be perfect for this for a number of reasons:
  • car diversity
  • no skin pack yet - everyone could get creative again without losing prior work (assuming you select a different car than in wtcc, of course ;))
  • increase popularity of the Thursday events further
  • it's already there! :D
  • everyone has the opportunity to get some training Mo-Wed
We'd "just" have to record and publish the results afterwards :) If it gets adopted by people, it could even be (re)introduced later on for Mini fridays, as well.

Huh? Well, I'd have to disagree on that :) As far as I can tell, many of us are racing for the fun and, of course, the competition (as in the whole race as well as mid-race battles - people even fall back to get into a battle from time to time :)) - sure, some people change cars every now and then, but I think the majority stays "faithful" - at least on Tuesday's races: Dennis in the Alfa, Matthias steering the Honda, the (in)famous "Chevy Gang" :D, myself in my good old Seat and many more.

Personally, I wouldn't try to push this into a special Saturday's event - there are some events every other Saturday (okay, maybe a bit less frequent ;)), but most importantly, this would steer the whole idea towards something more league-like a lot IMHO.

I think Thursday's STCC2 events would be perfect for this for a number of reasons:
  • car diversity
  • no skin pack yet - everyone could get creative again without losing prior work (assuming you select a different car than in wtcc, of course ;))
  • increase popularity of the Thursday events further
  • it's already there! :D
  • everyone has the opportunity to get some training Mo-Wed
Yes, fun and semi-competitiveness is self explanatory. :D

Good point. Maybe adding STCC1 aswell for even more car diversity, and enabling the Toledo Cupra from WTCC06? Idk, spewing out ideas. 45 minute races without mandatory pitstop and random weather. Additional "special" event sometimes on a Saturday. Though Phelan is somewhat against the weather so that could be a problem. :D

Keep posting ideas and developing this further so we have something ready for the Nordschleife week. :)

Last edited:
I like the ideas being posted, and will have a think over the next few days to see if I come up with anything to help.

I personally like the racing in the Club. One day I would like to have a go at a league but my skills are lacking :( A middle marker as part of the club sounds great as long as it chilled out and fun as normal.

Keep up with the idea and if I can help let me know.

With changing weather, just as Arne said, it makes a great difference.
But .... the only way to have a real changing weather in Race07 ... is a programmed weather file.
We used it and I prepared those files for a championship at our league with a mod proposing the whole range of compounds.... but it makes the race more difficult and tactical, and sadly not so attractive or even discouraging for the average driver.
Personally, I found it very realistic and a kind of challenge.

Using it with cars only having dry or wet tyres .... is mostly not that much interesting, except for the Minis with which I first tested this programmed changing weather.

But the one organizing this kind of race with weather files must have full access on the server to make it work .( Log_dedicated in Documents/Simbin ... )

But .... the only way to have a real changing weather in Race07 ... is a programmed weather file.

We used it and I prepared those files for a championship at our league with a mod proposing the whole range of compounds.... but it makes the race more difficult and tactical, and sadly not so attractive or even discouraging for the average driver.
Personally, I found it very realistic and a kind of challenge.

Tell me more about this programmed weather. I thought setting the weather to random does the trick. I hardly believe the public servers running random weather have any additional programmed weather except the built in one. Whats the difference?

About the tire - dry and wet are even more challenging since there is a greater gap. :p
Then again, if somebody complains that something in a sim is difficult, there is a wide array fo Codemasters and EA games that should be way more appropriate for his simpler needs. I cannot stand servers with less than 100% damage on publics since even that is not realistic enough. But that's just me. I play sims because they simulate reality and I play arcade games as GRiD because they are fun.

Simply using the Autosim Weather Generator GTR2 by Alexz ... and adapt the weather.txt for Race07.

Easy, because the difference between GTR2 and Race07 is mostly:
- 2 qualify sessions for GTR2 ... 1 for Race07 ( Qualify1 has to be replaced by Qualify )
- 1 race for GTR2 ... 2 for Race07 ( Race has to be replaced by Race1 )

+ other precisions as 'Read only' for the weather.txt + respect of the sessions times in game + no time acceleration, etc ....

I have a tutorial ready in french with all détails and advices, but not yet fully translated in English.
I'm very busy since a few months and didn't find the time to finish: nearly ready but only nearly :D

I'll try to finish it in the next days and give a download link.

This system may be used in private races offline and in races on server online. In this last case, only the server needs the weather file ... the driver don't need it.

PS: In the game without this programmed weather.txt file, random weather ... because it can be rain or sunshine ...but the weather changes from session to session but it seems that it does not change in the same race session for example.

Edit when the weather creator drives also for the race, best is prepare a weather forecast for all drivers, for example the day before the race.

Example of what I showed in the late evening of the day before the race:

s6dp.png

Last edited:
But your idea of a kind of championship is not a good one in Racing Clubs.

Just giving the results of the race in the race topic is of course a good idea.
But for the rest, Racing clubs are not League Championship.

It becomes an obligation in place of a free race for all levels of drivers. And that is one of the aims of RD Racing Clubs.
I began here at RD with these ones, mostly with the 80 minutes Mini Races ... before I began driving in a french league and more responsabilities afterwards.

Prosm tip, če greš vn.

This weather system is way too complicated. Race07 does shift from bad to good or vice versa mid sessions. Only "un-realistic" thing is maybe that its not connected over the sessions.

If you read the thread carefully from start to finish you see its not a league and there is absolutely no obligations other than to maybe stick to the same car for 4 months... once a week. For 2 hrs.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back