Monitor & TV

Very nice mate ... if I can ever afford to buy a dedicated 3rd 22" monitor for this setup, then I might also be able to invest in a Th2Go ... but for now this was just a quick test, which in some ways thankfully I did not get working, else I might start really wanting :D

you would start wanting its amazing. Really changed my racing experience. Its so in your face, add high volume and its a world away from a quick run out in a game :)

yes and different resolutions on each monitor too. Theres lots of info on how to do 2 monitors on the forum of SofTH.

it will still render all 3 screens but only display 2.

• Kyle Evers

Wanting a 32" Screen

Any recommendations? I'm looking for a 32" LCD TV for about $340 or less. I've been looking at Westinghouse refurbs, which I don't mind it being refurbished.

Right now I have a 19" Envision, and to be honest it just doesn't cut it anymore. I want more immersion. So I figured a 32" would do well.

• John Mactavish

If you want a big screen monitor for gaming...check out the Hanns G 28" gaming hd monitor.

Its 1920X1200, has vga and hdmi port, comes with the cables. fast 3 ms response time for its size. Has speakers hidden behind the monitor.

Only $349.99 brand new at amazon with free shipping. It may be 4" smaller but you won't regret being able to play games at 1080p.

I bought it last wednesday...it will arrive tuesday.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TJV9KW[/ame]

update: price went up --$369.99

• Kyle Evers

Yeah but trying to play at 1900x1200 with a single 4850HD would cut my FPS in half easy...

• Kyle Evers

Meh. I still want a 32". I initially wanted a 37", but they were too much. A 28" would be too little.

A friend of mine got a 26"1920*1200 and imo that's far too big already as a screen to work on. At least you need to have it further away than 2.5ft else you have to go left/right/left if you're just viewing a website.
Also the dotpitch gets bigger with a bigger screen..

I think you underestimate how far you need to sit away from a big screen.

• Kyle Evers

Not really. A friend of mine (who has since moved away) used to have a 32" LCD for his computer and it was maybe 2 1/2 to 3 feet away and I never found any problem with it. Never seemed to overwhelming or anything. I though it was really nice, which gave me the idea to get one for myself.

• John Mactavish

oh i thought you were gaming on an xbox 360 or maybe watching hd movies. sorry, i forgot about the pc. amazon is a good palce to order from...if the product is coming straight from amazon you will have no problem with replacements if ever.

If you're going to get a 32 inch try to find one with < 5ms response time if your using it for gaming.

i just got it today. from a 17" dell its huge and as fast as my small monitor.

3523144221_c61aa079b6_b.jpg
i
17" dell monitor on left, hanns g on right.

• Kyle Evers

Is the one on the right a 32"? Because for me it's be quite similar. I have a 19" right now and I just think it's time for an upgrade.

The problem with a 32" for that cheap is you won't be able to get a 1080p, and IMO, that is a must to use a TV for regular PC use. Lower resolution is alright for gaming (I say alright because it still won't look the same as a higher resolution TV), but for doing anything else, that 720p resolution is pretty limiting.

You have a 19" monitor right now, so I'm assuming if it's widescreen then it has a res of 1440x900. A cheaper 32" LCD TV has a resolution of 1366x768 normally. Although you're gaining 13" of size, you are actually losing around 20% actual screen real estate that you can see and use.

Anyways, I know people who use that resolution and don't mind, I just say that if you have the option to wait a bit or save a bit of money, I would save for a 1080p monitor. And I guarantee you that your 4850 will run any sim out there right now at that resolution.

• John Mactavish

Is the one on the right a 32"? Because for me it's be quite similar. I have a 19" right now and I just think it's time for an upgrade.

it's the 28" i received today that i got for $350. i put it beside my 17".

i was checking amazon and for the same price you can only get a 32" used and only 720p.

I think 28" is enough for racing sims (but if i had money i would really want a 42" hehe)...

heres a pic of my new 28" 1080p lcd monitor and my mS wheel

3524206516_2daaaff747_b.jpg

3526301546_170430a331_o.jpg

• John Mactavish

720p on 32" is just rubbish. Imho far too low resolution that gives ugly images on such a big screen. No I'm happy with my FullHD 22" monitor :).

yeah 720p is just not enough for gaming.

my 28" above is 1080p.

• Kyle Evers

Well my real concern is just the resolution being too high for my 4850. I'm running 1280x1024 right now, so something like 1900x1200 would be much higher in which case my FPS would greatly suffer. I get about 60FPS with full settings in Test Drive Unlimited right now. But with a 1900x1200 I'd get maybe 35FPS, which is unacceptable because that's the whole reason I bought a new graphics card is for better FPS. I can hardly stand anything under 50FPS now.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eQsvhtH3vc[/ame]

And:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-4850,1957-13.html

According to that, you can get away with 4xAA and 53 FPS.

Anyways, like I was telling you before, I'm not sure you realize what the drop in resolution will do for everything else other than games. If you are going to do any type of work on your computer, even normal web browsing, it will feel more limited for sure.

Going from 1280x1024 to 1366x768 is like a 25% decrease. You'll be seeing more horizontally, but vertically you're losing a lot of space.

Anyways it's up to you. I've heard Samsung make good TV's for PC use. If you can find one in your price range it'll probably work out well.

Well my real concern is just the resolution being too high for my 4850. I'm running 1280x1024 right now, so something like 1900x1200 would be much higher in which case my FPS would greatly suffer. I get about 60FPS with full settings in Test Drive Unlimited right now. But with a 1900x1200 I'd get maybe 35FPS, which is unacceptable because that's the whole reason I bought a new graphics card is for better FPS. I can hardly stand anything under 50FPS now.
Sir, I run 1920*1080 @ 8xAA and 16xAF without any problem! With a HD4850!
I run TDU also full settings except HDR, simply cause I don't like HDR. And I've always been @60fps..

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • More leagues

Votes: 22 22.7%
  • Prizes

Votes: 20 20.6%
  • Trophies

Votes: 10 10.3%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 6 6.2%