Monitor dilemma...what to do?

I don't really want to break the bank and I am not a die hard sim racer, but I already know pretty much what everyone is going to say. So here is my question. I am looking to upgrade my monitor situation. I am on a budget so it is either one 32" curved monitor with TrackIr or triple 27" monitors. What should I do?

Last edited:
I made the mistake of going single 27" then, now I want to go triples and everything has moved on so much that I'm going to have to buy 3 x new monitors and end up with a spare 27" so I wouldn't count on that philosophy!

Upvote 0
I made the mistake of going single 27" then, now I want to go triples and everything has moved on so much that I'm going to have to buy 3 x new monitors and end up with a spare 27" so I wouldn't count on that philosophy!
For me, that philosophy will stick. The fact that I am going to spend another $400 to upgrade my GPU on top of the new monitor is enough for me. I don't have a whole lot of time to race, maybe 2 or 3 hours per week. I don't see the logic in dropping so much money for the amount of time I can invest in playing. I would rather spend my money on other things. I like to travel so I will save the money to do that as well. I will be completely happy with a single 1440p 32" and RTX 2060 Super with high FPS counts. It will be way better than what I have now with my 8 year old 23" monitor and a GTX 1070.

Upvote 0
I am currently running triple LG 32" 144Hz 1440p G-Sync Monitors on a 9900K w/RTX 2080Ti. I average AC w/SOL 1.0 and every maxed 90-120fps, ACC everything set high or Ultra avg 80-95fps, PC2 everything maxed avg 100fps. This is all with a TrackIR 5 in use as well. Very immersive and better then VR is some respects as you can use physical button boxes. Highly recommended setup.

Upvote 0
I am currently running triple LG 32" 144Hz 1440p G-Sync Monitors on a 9900K w/RTX 2080Ti. I average AC w/SOL 1.0 and every maxed 90-120fps, ACC everything set high or Ultra avg 80-95fps, PC2 everything maxed avg 100fps. This is all with a TrackIR 5 in use as well. Very immersive and better then VR is some respects as you can use physical button boxes. Highly recommended setup.
What cpu/gpu and resolution are you using?

Upvote 0
Interesting post.
I'm running an old 37" 1080p TV. Do you think that getting a QHD curved 32-34" monitor would be a good investment in terms of immerssion, taking into account I would be forsaking 3-5 inches but on the other hand I'd be adding a wider monitor and a higher resolution or maybe it won't be worthwhile due to the loss of several inches?

I'm considering a MSI Optix 34" LED UltraWide QHD 100Hz. However for this price range I could consider a Rift S. I guess VR should provide a greater experience than a single 34" UltraWide monitor. Is that assumption right?

Triples are out of the question due to their volume, PC performance requirements and price.
I have a GTX 1070ti + i7 8700 + 16GB RAM

Upvote 0
This has been a fantastic thread, as I'm debating a triple screen setup as a secondary system to my VR devices. Looks like the Ideal size is debated as being between 27" to 32" And if you have the PC to keep up - 144Hz and 1440 are the specs you want.

Do I have that all right?

Upvote 0
Not sure but I heard that you needed display port to get to higher refresh rates?
Not sure where I read that. But I guess it you could get 3 x 27 inch 144hz monitors you'd have some beefy PC specs to power it all

Yeah, I’ve read that as well, but ill be running display port outputs, so it’s not a problem.
I’ve got an 8700k with rtx 2080, so not by any means top of the range, but decent enough to run it, from all my reading, just hoping I can play with decent quality and good size grids, maintaining a decent FPS, expecting above 75 throughout or I would I’d save a few quid a get the 75hz monitors

Upvote 0
This has been a fantastic thread, as I'm debating a triple screen setup as a secondary system to my VR devices. Looks like the Ideal size is debated as being between 27" to 32" And if you have the PC to keep up - 144Hz and 1440 are the specs you want.

Do I have that all right?

Judging by peoples feedback if your running 27” then 1080p will be fine, but stepping up to 32” you’ll want 1440p.
32” 1440p 144hz monitors are decent money, I was looking at prices with Black Friday, but I couldn’t find a monitor to do what I want for the money I was willing to pay, and then I was also thinking if my 2080 would give me enough, so I won’t be greedy and ill Stick with my 27”s

Upvote 0
Judging by peoples feedback if your running 27” then 1080p will be fine, but stepping up to 32” you’ll want 1440p.
Basically true, but it really comes down to viewing distance. You can place 32" triples a little farther away than 27" and get basically the same experience. In my case this helped with cockpit setup.

I'm getting 97fps in AC benchmark at 5760x1080/144Hz refresh with a 1070ti and a combination of high and ultra settings, and I think that's about all my old CPU (FX8350) is capable of.

AC is very enjoyable at this rate (things fly by fast enough for my old eyes lol) but my son says the card will do better with a faster cpu. I'll find out soon, I'm upgrading to a 7-2700X and an X570 motherboard tomorrow!

Upvote 0
Basically true, but it really comes down to viewing distance. You can place 32" triples a little farther away than 27" and get basically the same experience.
The main reason to pay for larger monitors is to increase the fov, particularly when you're aiming for a realistic fov. When you place larger monitors farther away, you're reducing the fov, so be careful how much further away you put them. My target vertical fov(*) is 39-40 deg, which is where you can see high-mounted cockpit rearview mirrors like in NASCAR and low mounted gauges, like the speedometer in a Cobra.

For instance, if your 27" monitors are 55 cm away (22") and you put 32" monitors at 65 cm (25.6"), then there's no reason to get 32" monitors as the fov would be the same. If the fov is the same with a 32" monitor, then 1080p will look the same as 1080p on a 27" monitor at the closer location. Unfortunately, as you increase the monitor size, it has to fit behind the steering housing rather than floating above it, which means you must move the monitor further away.

The moral is to measure carefully before purchase!

I'm getting 97fps in AC benchmark at 5760x1080/144Hz refresh with a 1070ti and a combination of high and ultra settings, and I think that's about all my old CPU (FX8350) is capable of.

AC is very enjoyable at this rate (things fly by fast enough for my old eyes lol) but my son says the card will do better with a faster cpu. I'll find out soon, I'm upgrading to a 7-2700X and an X570 motherboard tomorrow!

Very good compromise! Where people will become dissatisfied with it is if they want to run night/rain with that combination in ACC or rF2 or PC2.

(*) I calculate vertical fov for a single screen even with triples because that's what matters even if the game uses horizontal fov or the weird fractions like Raceroom. Edit: by the way, the fov calculator at https://dinex86.github.io/FOV-Calculator/ is wrong... it says vFOV changes when you change the aspect ratio, like going from 16:9 to a wide screen 21:9 and that simply isn't true.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Another thing I should touch on is I prefer to measure minimum fps rather than average fps. It's always those awkward hiccups during the first lap or two that are the most frustrating, so minimizing their impact is more desireable than having a high average fps. Obviously, you still want your average fps to be above a target refresh rate, but there is no reason to obsess about it.

Upvote 0
Agree with SOLO59. TrackIR is amazing! It takes a bit of getting used to but feels very natural quite quickly. Proper FoV is crucial though. I have my rig parallel to my desk. With an Ergotron monitor arm I just swing my 32 inch curved 1440 monitor over with precise positioning to use it.

Upvote 0
Picked up ACC today since it was in the Steam sale. As I expected, my GTX 1080 is not up to the task of running it. Default graphic settings, triple screen multiview, BMW at Silverstone, minimum 50 fps and peaks around 55 fps. Add a full grid of AI and we're in the 30s for fps.

Upvote 0
Picked up ACC today since it was in the Steam sale. As I expected, my GTX 1080 is not up to the task of running it. Default graphic settings, triple screen multiview, BMW at Silverstone, minimum 50 fps and peaks around 55 fps. Add a full grid of AI and we're in the 30s for fps.
I bought ACC last week as well on sale. I am getting about 75 fps with just me on the track in practice with my GTX 1070 on a single screen. I have not tried a race yet with other cars on the track. Amazon has the ViewSonic 32" curved 1440p 144hz monitor I want on sale today for cyber Monday. It was $379 and marked down last week to $359 but today it is $246! I jumped on it right away. I also got a Gigabyte RTX 2070 on the way for $399, same price as a couple of the RTX 2060 Supers. With prime delivery, everything will be here by Thursday so I will give an update on my performance increase once set up. I can't wait!

Upvote 0
Just grabbed an Asus Tuf gaming 32" in the sales. 144hz, 2560 x1440p and £140 off retail. It was between this and a few others of similar spec and price, but the fact it's height adjustable was the clincher.

Upvote 0
I bought ACC last week as well on sale. I am getting about 75 fps with just me on the track in practice with my GTX 1070 on a single screen.
Following the tip in https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/i-got-my-fps-back.172350/ helped me a lot. I also had gone through the graphic adjustments one-by-one to see which ones had an fps difference and whether I could stand the visuals if they were turned down.

So ended up with High overall and then changed
  1. Post Processing to low
  2. AA to either High KXAA or High Temporal
  3. Foliage LOD to low

Upvote 0
I just bought a 32 inch 1440P monitor moving up from a 27 inch 1080P. I’m really happy with the purchase. For single monitor 16:9, 32 seems to be the sweet spot for me and it gives me a 40 degree vertical fov in my rig. With Raceroom triple screen default at 40 degrees, that’s the fov I wanted to hit and everything feels right in Raceroom and the other vertical fov games I’ve played. Probably because they all max out at a 120 degree FOV. Haven’t tried IRacing yet. Might feel a little different though since 27 inches with a 60 FOV is probably right since the horizontal fov maxes out at 179. I should be at a 66 fov now.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

This buddy is back in stock at newegg

Or you can wait for their newer model with HDR 1000 https://www.asus.com/Monitors/ROG-Strix-XG43UQ/

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back