Mobile Driving/Flying Cockpit with Motion and Tactile ( Build )

Merry Christmas!!!!!!

Yesterday while my wife and I were visiting friends, I had a 4th print in progress. Unfortunately I found some side to side motion, a bit of rotation and just a bit of fore/aft twist that I couldn't feel in game, but I could see visually and it bothered me.

I consider this just a small iteration rather than something new. That's how I'm justifying it.

I incorporated my earlier profile slot capture design, but shortened it to the height of the slot, so I'm still happy with the appearance. This design prevents both side to side motion and rotation. I also widened the entire part and included a third bolt on the bottom while increasing the infill to 30% The additional width and stockiness removed that last bit of twist at least visually I can no longer see any.

FourthPrint_8942.jpg

A new end cap was required to allow for the slot capture.

FourthPrint_8940.jpg

With the bottom rib raising the two hole nut the knobs don't need to be turned nearly as much.

FourthPrint_8946.jpg

The end result is working well in game and has no visible motion. It's also faster and easier to put into place now that there is a guide.

FourthPrint_8944.jpg

Merry Christmas!!!!!!

Yesterday while my wife and I were visiting friends, I had a 4th print in progress. Unfortunately I found some side to side motion, a bit of rotation and just a bit of fore/aft twist that I couldn't feel in game, but I could see visually and it bothered me.

I consider this just a small iteration rather than something new. That's how I'm justifying it.

I incorporated my earlier profile slot capture design, but shortened it to the height of the slot, so I'm still happy with the appearance. This design prevents both side to side motion and rotation. I also widened the entire part and included a third bolt on the bottom while increasing the infill to 30% The additional width and stockiness removed that last bit of twist at least visually I can no longer see any.

View attachment 625874

A new end cap was required to allow for the slot capture.

View attachment 625875

With the bottom rib raising the two hole nut the knobs don't need to be turned nearly as much.

View attachment 625872

The end result is working well in game and has no visible motion. It's also faster and easier to put into place now that there is a guide.

View attachment 625873
Merry Christmas, Mark!

Did you happen to upload that endcap file to Thingiverse. I would like to print similar endcaps which permit profile adjustment without the need for endcap removal.

Merry Christmas, Mark!

Did you happen to upload that endcap file to Thingiverse. I would like to print similar endcaps which permit profile adjustment without the need for endcap removal.
I'll get something out to Thingiverse later, but here is the STL file.
Merry Christmas!

Print it small flat side down. ( You will need to scrape a bit of filament off the unsupported area in the center. This doesn't snap into place. It assumes you've threaded the end of the profile and are using an M8 socket head bolt to hold it in place.

Attachments

• EndCapV2.stl
    222 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Deciding which series I want to focus on. I think I'll stick with a fixed series first.

Also want to reasonably master one Helicopter enough for missions in DCS.

Edit: Spent some time practicing on Virginia International which is the Ferrari GT3 EVO fixed track this week. I missed the first race of this series. Interesting track. It's taking me a while to get reasonably fast on it while staying on the track. Today was my first day on the track and so far I'm within 7 sec of the VRS time. I'd like to shave off 2-3 more seconds and run an AI race or two to make sure I can stay on the track with full grid before I join a real race.

FYI, the current tire model seems pretty forgiving. I was able to recover from and even manage 4 wheel slides on this track, but the track itself requires some care.

I just had someone asking me in iRacing still had "the tree" at Virginia International, which I hadn't noticed. I was told it has been removed.
A few people in my league are racing the Toyota 86. It seems to race well and may be a better series than the Ferrari fixed which is a bit of a mixed bag.

Looks like for S1 , out of the 12 weeks they share 8 tracks.

For the other 4 weeks GR series runs rudskogen, oulton, tsukuba and okayama. Ferrari runs Sebring, Daytona, Sivlerstone and Barcelona.

I would say the Ferrari tracks are more interesting but still, Oulton is always good, rudskogen has seemed to be fun and not a bad mix for the 86, okayama is a staple you will come across in many series often and tsukuba I cant stand in anything but a small open wheeler.

I would get in practice sessions for both and check out your pace against real people. Seven seconds of the pace is a long way and you may find yourself more competitive in a different car that offers closer racing.

Having said that, comparing to a VRS time is not necessarily indicative of how you compare. VRS laps will be based on their setups, not a fixed series setup and weather/track conditions play a big part. The best way is to get in real sessions and see which one you might feel more comfortable in for car control and pace relative to others. Run a whole bunch of practice sessions, there is no pressure to jump in a race, follow faster people, look at what they are doing from their driver view.

Hy Mark,

when you do the tactile profile for the GR86 please remember it has a for cylinder boxer engine (2.4l)

A Ferrari engine or a V8 would be wrong on so many levels

Merry Christmas Carsten

I tried the GR86 and it is a very easy to drive car. It starts losing traction early and is very controllable while sliding and very beginner friendly. The engine and brakes are quiet. Definitely feels like a street car and more tuned to understeer.

The Ferrari 488 EVO requires being careful to let off the brake while turning so there is enough weight over the front tires. I still like driving it more. I've been AI racing on Virginia International full course which is fun to drive. I'm still learning where I can insert myself to overtake on the course.

This is a classic case of understanding that I probably should be racing the GR86, but enjoying racing the Ferrari more at least in AI races with the AI's set not to hit me which I'll admit is a big cheat compared to real races.

In addition to working on my driving and racecraft, I'm back to left foot braking and feeling pretty good doing it. My left ankle fracture has been healed for a few months no so there is little excuse for me not doing this sooner.

The bottom line is things are feeling better. I dropped another 2.5 seconds off my lap time at Virginia and I'm driving more consistently.

Practice, practice practice!!!! I just need more driving time.

Last edited:
Hy Mark,

when you do the tactile profile for the GR86 please remember it has a for cylinder boxer engine (2.4l)

A Ferrari engine or a V8 would be wrong on so many levels

Merry Christmas Carsten

Speaking of tactile, I finally installed that extra pair of exciters in series with my bottom pair on the back of my seat. I only added one click on my amplifier for the bottom two exciter channels. They were just sitting on a shelf and I guess I had forgotten about them. Not going to feel guilty about that. Spent a few hours practicing and racing this morning, so all is good.

AddedExciters_8949.jpg

Mark what exciters are the two you have just added please.
The bottom two, making 6 total on the back.

The bottom two, making 6 total on the back.

Cheers for this

Sure, ultimately drive what you are happy with. I do jump around a bit, depending on whats happening but one thing I do encourage you to do is get in practice sessions with real people.

You will find a lot more speed in practice sessions, I have seen it time and time again, the shock people get when they have not been racing against people and then they do and its a completely different story. Fixed ferrari can be very competitive, there are a whole lot of people that only drive that one car.

The car is good to drive, I have found no real issue with the fixed setups, it may suit some more that others but you are all in the same boat so I like fixed setups because of that.

Now, if I didnt already say it a few times I will say it again :) Out of ai/solo sessions and in to practice sessions, there is so much more to learn there from other people that will get your lap times down and more consistent leading you to do better more consistent driving.
Things you will find out in your first session - people are taking different lines in key corners - people are going through some corners in higher gears and carrying more speed - people are braking later - people are taking big chunks of kerb that you are going around losing tenths in just one spot.

There is a lot more to learn there than in solo - a practice session is a great place to practice. Quite of ten you can have a lot of fun just battling a couple people as you close in on each other. No one is going to complain if you come together, its just practice.

I don't disagree with anything you've said. FWIW I'm a class C driver and about a year ago I was regularly placing in the top 5-6 places in the Ferrari Fixed Class D races. I'm just rustier than I should be. I need to get some laps under me. Not saying I was very good, just that I'm trying to get back were I was so I can start to make progress from there.

Edit: I should probably qualify that statement about were I placed with the fact I was normally in the bottom or 2nd to bottom split for each race.

Last edited:
It's all in the GV documentation that you should have access to.
Yes understood was just a quick double checking as had Amazon open to see availability on there… appreciated :)

My tactile set up is so very much ‘off piste’ as was cobbled and hobbled together from Buttkickers with also Dayton random shakers and pucks, well before GV or Mr Latte’s prescriptive teachings…

And the TST stuff is not easy to get into the UK unfortunately (and to import them one does need to rob a bank to ensure the necessary funding is in place… joke)

Strangely we decided to vote that that the uk is so great that we can remove our selves from Europe and other such international trading partners (I didn’t vote for this)… as we don’t need to buy any of that ‘foreign stuff’ as we are really great!…

and then our lovely financial traders threw the pound under a bus, so it’s now hardly worth nothing at all, if you actually try to buy some of that ‘foreign stuff’…

But the good news is that the financial traders did make a nice lot of profit for themselves though… so not all bad..

Rant over…

Getting back onto the point, I would be great to pull it back into line so that it can be set up with the shared profiles on GV… but my kit is so far away from the GV recommend level unfortunately I am left in using it as a bit of a reference only at the moment to tweak my set up against…

Sadly not ideal in anyway really at all, but I have enough settings currently to enjoy some flavour of the GV directive.

Last edited:
Yes understood was just a quick double checking as had Amazon open to see availability on there… appreciated :)

My tactile set up is so very much ‘off piste’ as was cobbled and hobbled together from Buttkickers with also Dayton random shakers and pucks, well before GV or Mr Latte’s prescriptive teachings…

And the TST stuff is not easy to get into the UK unfortunately (and to import them one does need to rob a bank to ensure the necessary funding is in place… joke)

Strangely we decided to vote that that the uk is so great that we can remove our selves from Europe and other such international trading partners (I didn’t vote for this)… as we don’t need to buy any of that ‘foreign stuff’ as we are really great!…

and then our lovely financial traders threw the pound under a bus, so it’s now hardly worth nothing at all, if you actually try to buy some of that ‘foreign stuff’…

But the good news is that the financial traders did make a nice lot of profit for themselves though… so not all bad..

Rant over…

Getting back onto the point, I would be great to pull it back into line so that it can be set up with the shared profiles on GV… but my kit is so far away from the GV recommend level unfortunately I am left in using it as a bit of a reference only at the moment to tweak my set up against…

Sadly not ideal in anyway really at all, but I have enough settings currently to enjoy some flavour of the GV directive.

Mr. Latte has been working on an 8 exciter solution that he has been excited about in terms of bang for the buck and a solid entry point.

It’s non-invasive, with no impact on motion systems, with inexpensive exciters, inexpensive amplifiers, and he said worked well without DSP's.

Last edited:

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 20 9.9%
  • Monthly

Votes: 9 4.4%
  • Yearly

Votes: 18 8.9%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 3 1.5%