Mobile Driving/Flying Cockpit with Motion and Tactile ( Build )

• Deleted member 197115

I just bought a new sewing machine - sew there's that :)
New knitting kit here.
knit-knitting.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably time to buy a plane. Should take care of your excess time and fun money resources…. On second thought you really need to buy a kit plane like an RV7 or RV10. You would be a fantastic builder!

I don't have a pilot's license.
I don't have room to build anything large like a kit car or plane.
I have time to design things from my computer, but I don't have lots of time to be in a shop.

I have no idea what my next project will be. I'm starting to feel like I need to learn how to live without a big project in my life.

Last edited:
I just saw a screen shot of a conversation with ProSim that says we will have an update next month and a timeline for the release of the hydraulic lockout for their h pattern shift :)

OMG!!!!

This next month should be pretty exciting for other reasons as well.
Fingers crossed!

Last edited:
Currently my seat is on sliders and my pedal deck is adjustable fore/aft.
I can with effort adjust my seat height in 1cm increments to get it where I want it.

I'm not worried about going from a GT3 to F1 seating style on my rig.

There is one place that could be better. Right now adjusting my steering wheel height and tilt is a time consuming process. I wouldn't want to motorize anything because of the weight and complexity issues and because it's mostly just me on the rig.

However I could see trying to improve the current operation of adjusting the steering wheel.

Edit: I looked at my options and there is too much trickledown to consider this.

Last edited:
I may have found a new project :)

But I needed to ask permission and I haven't heard back yet or had the discussion to find out if it's remotely possible and I would be allowed. It's in my wheelhouse and even within an interest of mine in this niche.

In preparation, but may be completely unnecessary.
I have a pair of USB cables running through this ferrite core 3 times.

Only one of the USB cables currently has a signal on it from my 10 port USB hub. The second cable is only for diagnostic purposes when a vendor asks that a device have its own USB connection.

FerriteCore_8980.jpg

Last edited:
I really like my Index off ear speakers, so this is definitely a compromise.

I wanted to try ear buds since they shouldn't get hot, so I'm testing out the Sure 215's which appear to be just efficient enough to be driven by my old S8 phone and have some sound isolation with the ear plug style foam ear inserts.

Edit: I've been told these improve how the ear buds sound, so for $12 inc. tax I figured why not.

They don't hold a candle to my AKG-701's but they also don't require a headphone amp to work. I'm trying to keep this as light and simple as possible.

Sure215Test_8981.jpg

I've also got some Sennheiser HD 569's coming for visitors, but I'm expecting they will get warm with use. They are also efficient enough not to require additional amplification.

The Aero has a 4 pole 3.5mm jack and the 569's and 215's both have a built in microphone and have a compatible 4 pole plug. I would prefer to avoid any latency issues and want to have a simple direct connection if possible. I'm sure the microphones are pretty bad, but I have very little use for a mic and that is more to make sure the 4 pole plug fits.

I'm also looking at the potential of retrofitting some Index speakers to the headset.

Last edited:
The 569's are easy to drive with my old phone so they will definitely work without inline amplification. They do sound better than the 215's, but I can tell they would be dripping after a sim session. I'm sure I'll use them some, but they will be perfect for visitors.

HD569_8985.jpg

Suggestion for the next ‘big project’;

Join a iRacing league of choice!
No risk in SR/iR, you get to know people you race repetively over time, more respectfull racing than in officials, and you now have a goal/reason for daily practise to prepare for the weekly league event

So... Why the Aero and why now?

First let me start out by saying that nothing in VR is an investment. Everything becomes obsolete quickly, and please don't buy something just because I did.
  1. I got my Index in the summer of 2019. I've recently replaced the main headset cable and my left off ear speaker. It's been a great headset and it's very well constructed, but it's getting old.

2. I've got a 4090 in my computer now that I specifically got to push a more powerful headset. This may be a matter of good money after bad or one purchase to justify another purchase, but it felt like I had half of a solution.

3. I want the next generation Valve headset, but I got impatient.

4. I tried a Reverb G2 and got a taste of higher resolution and I liked it even if I couldn't live with that particular headset long term. The G2 had better color and I loved the detail in the center of the lenses. So it got me itchy for something better.

5. When the Aero was released two years ago my 2080Ti wasn't remotely powerful enough GPU for it and the 30 series scalping because of crypto offended my sensibilities. Varjo was also still working out software issues.
In a perfect world after I got the 4090 I would have gone straight to the Aero, but the G2 was cheap enough to just try out and I sold it and got most of my money back, so it was a good learning experience. I also was not sold on the Aero yet.

However getting the G2 was a learning experience and I learned about OpenXR, Open Composite, and various tools I had never touched. This is all good because the Aero in addition to having it's own software layer will likely require OpenXR and OpenComposite for most titles.

How my priorities pushed this.

One of my highest priorities is comfort. My two long term headsets the CV1 and Index were extremely comfortable and the Aero is supposed to be the most comfortable yet. I've heard many people comment about this. The over the head support is highly adjustable and is supposed to allow lower pressure on the face gasket.

I have been told by people I know that it is very solidly constructed and well executed. One person said it is like a professional quality Index which is saying something.

Image quality: Aspheric lenses, auto-IPD adjustment, high resolution, great color 99% sRGB gamut, very sharp image across the lenses. Absolutely no screen door effect, no glare, and no god rays. I also found out with the G2 that I'm sensitive to the focal depth of field that the lenses allow and the Aero is supposed to be nearly as perfect in this category as the CV1 and Index. Fortunately it appears that the Aero is very forgiving of frame rates not matching the 90fps refresh rate. People are running it with 130% SS and high graphics settings with 60-70 fps coming from the GPU in flight sims and saying it looks smooth. I'll have to see that for myself.

Light House tracking: I still love my Index controllers and my light house tracking over the last 3.5+ years has been flawless.

Support: From what I can gather from people in the Aero community, Varjo is actively working with their driving software to make improvements and add features and they stand behind their hardware. Based on what I have seen, I have a level of trust that I will get a good headset or if I don't they will make it right.

The compromises:

The Aero has a 4 pole headphone/microphone plug as an audio solution. I'm going to try to get used to ear buds, have over the ear headphones for visitors and I still may end up 3D printing a Valve Index off ear headphone solution. While this is not ideal, I'm pretty sure that I can work around this. I've also only used my microphone a few times in the last few years. I'm not a VR Chat type person and I don't talk while racing. If I ever started to use Voice Command, I might care more about a good mic solution.

The FOV of the Aero is not as much as I would have liked for my next headset, but I've been assured by a number of people that the clarity is so outstanding across the range of the lens that I will get over this quickly. I think from what I saw with the G2 that if it were clear across the entire lens and the depth of field were more accomodating that I could have dealt with the FOV.

Like it or not the Aero will max a 4090 out. The lenses stand up well to super sampling, so the image quality can be improved well past what a 4090 can drive. So it will likely look better with a 50 series GPU.

What about other competition?

Nothing else that is released has my interest. Make of that what you will.

In the near to distant future the Pimax Crystal on paper looks like exactly what I'm looking for in my next headset. My biggest concern is their implementation of the aspheric lenses. The human eye tends to automatically focus into the distance and they don't appear to be handling this well. I've proven that I'm very sensitive to this issue so I'm likely not a good candidate for their headset. My next biggest concern is comfort. Although the Crystal is supposed to be an improvement it is a very bulky headset and comfort has never been a strong point for Pimax. I'm not happy with their tack on support for lighthouse tracking that takes a large headset and makes it even larger and introduces an additional battery. I have numerous other concerns, but I'll stop there. I don't consider them a viable choice for me personally. For others it may be exactly what you want. Don't let me stop you.

So those are my thoughts behind this. VR sometimes feels like a treadmill and I'm expecting Valve to announce something by the end of the year. Varjo may introduce an update to the Aero. Who knows what's coming next?

Last edited:
You will love the Aero, it's monitor spec sharpness edge to edge.

At the time i had it, i send it back because my 3090 couldn't drive it at the native resolution and there's wasn't anything faster available. The fov is very narrow, but you will get used to it i'm sure.

Did they already solve the barrel distortion through software ? That was an issue about a year ago.

For me personally i would like to make one large investment in a VR headset which should be good for years to come ( like with a monitor )

The Aero did tick that box for sharpness, comfort and tracking, but the FOV was a big compromise for the price.

Index 2, i'm starting to believe that may never be. I was waiting on / expecting an announcement from Valve a year ago when i ordered the Varjo Aero.

Varjo 2 with bigger FOV could be interesting:rolleyes:

You will love the Aero, it's monitor spec sharpness edge to edge.

At the time i had it, i send it back because my 3090 couldn't drive it at the native resolution and there's wasn't anything faster available. The fov is very narrow, but you will get used to it i'm sure.

Did they already solve the barrel distortion through software ? That was an issue about a year ago.

For me personally i would like to make one large investment in a VR headset which should be good for years to come ( like with a monitor )

The Aero did tick that box for sharpness, comfort and tracking, but the FOV was a big compromise for the price.

Index 2, i'm starting to believe that may never be. I was waiting on / expecting an announcement from Valve a year ago when i ordered the Varjo Aero.

Varjo 2 with bigger FOV could be interesting:rolleyes:

They have fixed the barrel distortion issue according to others. I've heard the CA is pretty well eliminated. I've read some comments about a red shift issue that some are waiting for a response on. Another issue some are complaining about is having to login via the Varjo server to use their headset.

DCS is supposed to have native support for the Varjo, but it's currently 4 lens support for the VR-3 and ED is working on that. However you can just use Open Composite to get around it with the Aero.

With 4090's I know some people are driving it past it's native resolution.

From what I can see people are getting good results in all the sims now flight and racing.

I've had a few Aero owners tell me I'm getting in at a good time. Hopefully they are right. And yes an Aero 2 would be interesting and I can say that with a straight face not having received my Aero 1 :)

Last edited:
Did red shift appear after they made progress on CA? could be they had to make a compromise on colours to help with the CA a little.

It's definitely a possibility. I don't hear a lot of complaining going on. I Iisted every complaint I've heard. So overall, this sounds pretty well sorted.

Anyway, I hope to get notification of shipping sometime soon. This should be fun!

Last edited:

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 35 15.1%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 28 12.1%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 31 13.4%
  • Thursday

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • Friday

Votes: 79 34.1%
  • Saturday

Votes: 132 56.9%