Mobile Driving/Flying Cockpit with Motion and Tactile ( Build )

Yes i noticed these small stutters when racing with the G2 and have seen reports of other sfx users complaining about this issue to. We all know the light house tracking is superior.

There's a feature in open composite which allows you to filter headmovements, maybe this will help.

With OpenXR, the Index and a RTX3090 i have no problem to wait another 6-12 months for the Index 2, but if any new next gen VR headset comes out i will probably give it a try.

Yes i noticed these small stutters when racing with the G2 and have seen reports of other sfx users complaining about this issue to. We all know the light house tracking is superior.

There's a feature in open composite which allows you to filter headmovements, maybe this will help.

With OpenXR, the Index and a RTX3090 i have no problem to wait another 6-12 months for the Index 2, but if any new next gen VR headset comes out i will probably give it a try.
Time will tell. I am curious how much pain and aggravation will be involved getting the G2 to perform well. The Index has always just worked with no futzing, BUT I haven't gotten very deep into DCS and I'm reading about how some planes and campaigns are just abysmal even if other planes and campaigns work well. I've also pretty well avoided ACC.

Last edited:
I got one of the first G2's, we were lucky we got stock before most of the world.

One of the very first things I noticed was the shaking. HP/wmr had a few updates following the release of the G2 because of some issues and at one point I noticed that the issues were gone.

They specifically had updates for tracking smoothing, reliability.

So one of two things, they fixed it or I got used to it. Either way its not a problem for me now. Sometimes with extreme judder on motion it bounces around but they are all going to do that on the right track motion profile sometimes.

I also dont get constant crashing etc, its really just as reliable as my index was. I would say in my DCS group full of local NZ/aussie people 8 have the G2 with the only issues being DCS sucks at VR.

I've read a number of articles and posts that suggest that support(software) for the G2 has become more stable, so fingers crossed that between OpenXR and a 4090 & 13900K I can get this to look reasonably good.

Last edited:
In iracing with my 5800, 3080 openxr i get it looking great. It's a good thing iracing is pretty easy on VR compared to other sims. If I only ever drop below 90 it will be on a race start with lots of cars and seems to sort itself out soon as things spread.

The only major graphical thing I dont have is all the shadow options and HDR but I dont think I am really missing out on HDR, better for videos than in VR having ths sun stop you seeing various corners at times. Although openxr now has sunglasses that I have mapped so maybe try it again, it does look better for sure.. Just a hinderance at times.

I recently found out that FB doesn't like links to Printables.com but is perfectly OK with Thingaverse.com. I have had posts banned by FB for violating community standards simply by including a link to a 3D printed design on Printables.

This is unfortunate because I like Printables a lot better. However a LOT more people download my designs from Thingaverse. So I guess I'm stuck using both and using Printables links where they are not banned.

I know many of you do not like FB and I understand why. Still I find it useful.
This is the Sim Racing 3D Print group and there are many interesting prints shared there.

On an interesting side note, I was recently made an administrator on this site, just to try to get to the bottom of why FB was retroactively going back and banning my posts. Recently they pulled a post from Aug 22nd which I just reposted with a link to Thingaverse.

Last edited:
I've been slamming this into place to get a snug fit and well....

I'm reprinting with 40% vs. 15% infill and 4 vs. 2 perimeter walls. Hopefully that will hold up better... Time will tell.
brokencounterweightarm_8705.jpg

Looks like its time to take another trip to your maker shop.
Not unless I want to make this out of solid aluminum :)
I have a new one printing now with perimeter walls twice as thick and over 200% the original infill.

Edit: Much heavier and feels beefier. Hopefully this will hold up for a long while.

newcounterbalance_8706.jpg

Last edited:
Do I need WMR before I setup OpenXR, or can I go straight to OpenXR with the G2?

I'd definitely like my Index hand controllers working with it as well.

Last edited:
As its a WMR headset its always required. WMR provides the OpenXR runtime and the toolkit is just giving you goodies on top. Opencomposite, the other program is what allows you to bypass steamVR on the WMR headset.

So far I have WMR running, and Steam Integration working.
For non-sim games it's working reasonably well.
The display is clear, and I can definitely notice the smaller DOF.
Looks very clear in Half Life Alyx.
Now I need to get my Index controllers working with it.

Last edited:
I don't think you can use the Index controllers with it? I never tried as I never had the controllers when I had the Index, but I don't know how the headset works with the base stations and you'll need those for the Index controllers.

The 2080Ti will be fine to try the headset out. I ran mine on a 1080Ti for ages, albeit I was one of the few that could tolerate 60hz mode and just use the extra headroom for SS or in game settings. For games like iRacing, you'll be more than fine even at 90hz I'd suggest.

I don't think you can use the Index controllers with it? I never tried as I never had the controllers when I had the Index, but I don't know how the headset works with the base stations and you'll need those for the Index controllers.

The 2080Ti will be fine to try the headset out. I ran mine on a 1080Ti for ages, albeit I was one of the few that could tolerate 60hz mode and just use the extra headroom for SS or in game settings. For games like iRacing, you'll be more than fine even at 90hz I'd suggest.
I had my Index controllers working fine with the WMR, BUT they had to stay plugged into the USB cables. There are two programs that you need to install to make it work. One is funky and requires that you calibrate one Index controller while moving both. So you have to hold them tight together and move them in a figure 8 while WMR calibrates the index controllers relative to the headset, but you only have to do this with one of the controllers.

It turns out I need a usb dongle for it to work. I could get this one for Sunday. Otherwise I could save money if I wanted to wait for 10 days.

The HP hand controllers are total CRAP!!! They burn through 2x AA's very quickly. I really don't like them at all and the Inside/out hand tracking is just usable, but not precise.

I'm putting my G2 away until the dongle gets here on Sunday. Then I'll get SteamXR fully setup and see if I can live with it in iRacing.

To be clear I use room scale more than I'm in my sim so sub par hand controllers are not an option for me and if I couldn't use the G2 with my Index controllers, that would be a deal breaker to me leaving the G2 set up.

Maybe I can get OpenXR working and improve my Index performance in DCS while I wait for the dongle.

Last edited:
This morning I was running AccuRC which is an RC Helicopter flight simulator. The physics of this are very good, but the resolution with the Index was not quite enough to fly any distance from yourself while still being able to maintain orientation of your heli. You had to keep the heli uncomfortably close in VR.

With my 2080Ti, I was getting about 40% SS in Auto mode with a VERY stable 90fps and the GPU was at about 70% pushing the G2. Granted you are typically just looking in a pretty stable direction and a very small amount of the screen is moving around.

I dusted off my my Jeti DS-16 transmitter and plugged in my USB-Jeti reciever and was surprised that I was flying in all orientations pretty comfortably. I still haven't lost my muscle memory.

I still would need more resolution to get out to the distance required to do speed flying. That would require a full retina display, but for acrobatics it was doing well at a comfortable distance. So not bad at all !!!!

My new Index Tether arrives tomorrow as well as the USB dongle for my Index Controllers.

I think I could get used to the narrower field of view after a little while. I don't consider it a deal breaker like I initially thought it might be.

Last edited:

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 36 13.6%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 30 11.4%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 36 13.6%
  • Thursday

Votes: 33 12.5%
  • Friday

Votes: 87 33.0%
  • Saturday

Votes: 153 58.0%