Mobile Driving/Flying Cockpit with Motion and Tactile ( Build )

This thread has degraded from

"Hey interesting" to

"Look how good I am at doing things" to

"Look at how rich I am"

Kinda meaningless to follow your endless shopping spree ..

"Hey interesting" to

"Look at how rich I am"

Agreed.

It's much more fun to see interesting solutions to things that many people can either use directly or get ideas from.

I'm hoping to come up with a better flight pedal mount next. Granted that is only possibly useful to a smaller subset who like both driving and flight sims.

I almost feel like this is the last push before my rig is hardware complete. Of course I've said that before.

At some point this thread will come to a logical conclusion. All good things.....

Last edited:
When I added full motion to my rig and started using some of the haptic effects, this was the one thing that I guessed would become a problem. Lots of little screws holding lots of little wires are shaking loose in my button box. With nearly every input off my 64 input Bodnar board mapped, and 2 wires per input except for rotaries, that leaves a lot of wires to secure and glue gun.

Should I have used a glue gun when I first built this? Absolutely!!!! I intended to, but when I finally got it together and it worked, and I didn't have glue gun. So I just left it be and it has been working fine for for the last 18 months, but not anymore. I just fixed the right arrow joystick the hard way working from the back and noticed the Cancel button had a dangling wire too.

So I've ordered a glue gun and I'll remove each panel and finish this job the way I should have.

Ughwiring_8638.jpg

When I added full motion to my rig and started using some of the haptic effects, this was the one thing that I guessed would become a problem. Lots of little screws holding lots of little wires are shaking loose in my button box. With nearly every input off my 64 input Bodnar board mapped, and 2 wires per input except for rotaries, that leaves a lot of wires to secure and glue gun.

Should I have used a glue gun when I first built this? Absolutely!!!! I intended to, but when I finally got it together and it worked, and I didn't have glue gun. So I just left it be and it has been working fine for for the last 18 months, but not anymore. I just fixed the right arrow joystick the hard way working from the back and noticed the Cancel button had a dangling wire too.

So I've ordered a glue gun and I'll remove each panel and finish this job the way I should have.

View attachment 608413
Hi. If you recall, in earlier posts on this thread, I highlighted the value of using the 3M lock (locking strips) for attaching certain items to the rig, including button boxes - because of the intensity of dbox movement and haptics, and the reduction of vibration gained by using them.

It’s not a complete solution for everything, but as I said before, it really helped.

@RCHeliguy
Just note on the 3d print dbox actuator foot ring you created. Great and really accurate design. I would recommmend one change. Get rid of the inner lip which I think is intended to surround the rubber on the bottom. When the rig is fully weighted, due to the softness of the rubber being more soft than the 3d printed ring, the weight of the rig ends up on the outer ring of each foot instead of the weight being evenly distributed across each foot, because the lip serves as a shim around the outside of the ring.

That will be a sad day for me.
My far more modest attempts have been substantially enhanced by this thread.
The sentiment is appreciated. My intentions have always been to find/design solutions and share them. Be that with 3D printed solutions I can easily share, or off the shelf products. I enjoy the process of finding a better way to do something.

However, I have in recent history pressed the WTF button ordering things quite a few times and I can see how that might look to some.

I would like to create some videos explaining how the Race Base Tactile plate works and D-Box operation. For the tactile plate, I did design it and an explanation video seems appropriate. I've actually attempted to create a recent sim rig update video a few times now. The problem I see is that I passed a threshold. Since I don't create reviews for a living, and am not a monetized YouTuber who needs to evaluate these products, I come off as "just a guy" with more money than sense to a larger percentage of the community. Rather than giving people ideas for their rig, it becomes either voyeuristic like watching reviews of a Ferrari, or causes resentment. The actual number of people who can make use of what I'm doing is dwindling to a very tiny percentage. So when I look at the video footage, I'm now thinking that I need to be more careful and handle this better politically.

It's easy to say, just do it, but I actually do care about these things. I'm not afraid to admit that I love showing off something I designed that I think is cool. But when it just looks like I'm showing off what I paid for, that is no longer cool. Unless I added some real value that can help others, it becomes a statement of wallet size and nothing more.

a very tiny percentage
A wider audience correlates with shallower content.
Without cloning Peabody;s janitor:
PeabodyJanitor.jpg

...assiduously generating B roll and other content pretty much becomes full-time work, like SRG or Boosted Media.
Few apparently push the limits for sims as true amateurs, paying retail from other employment, while also reporting about it.

I would like to create some videos
explaining how the Race Base Tactile plate works and D-Box operation
Credibly sorting trade-offs between motion and tactile
appears to be largely uncharted territory

Last edited:
On the other hand some people here like whatching your process and how you develop abilities and solutions.
Part of it is your honesty when "a plan didn´d come together" ;)

So I´m with @blekenbleu here and perceive your thread as an inspiration and entertainment, but not as flexing.

(You do know that you are completely crazy with this sim thing, don´t you :p)

Carry on, Carsten

"Hey interesting" to

"Look at how rich I am"

I would say that in some ways the thread has outlived its original purpose, but is still an impressive showcase for custom design and engineering of parts, and I am glad rcheli continues to share.

I would also say that what has really become a detriment to this thread as of late (and perhaps one other thread too) is the arrogance and snobbery; the “it’s my way or the highway and unless you are going to praise me, you don’t exist” type of attitude.

RCHeli’s new “discovery” of the impact of dbox haptic vibration on delicate components like a button box is a perfect example. Solely for the purpose of being helpful when he first got his d-box, I shared my experience as a current dbox user. I shared a solution (3M lock). He was completely dismissive of what I shared while praising his 3d printed parts (apparently the solution to all). All it took was an open mind . A thread like this should always supports information sharing in all directions.

View attachment 608413

Attachments

• 034015557774_ml.jpeg
    034015557774_ml.jpeg
    20.1 KB · Views: 22
I'm not afraid to admit that I love showing off something I designed that I think is cool. But when it just looks like I'm showing off what I paid for, that is no longer cool. Unless I added some real value that can help others, it becomes a statement of wallet size and nothing more.

'Showing off' would be just dropping repeated bragging post with no context or follow-up.

Personally I've never seen that from this thread (which I very much enjoy following). It's a modern hobby story and for a small niche group of people, it's a lot of fun to watch unfold.

But, nothing is really different vs. 20-30 years ago and hobbies of that time, except the internet and reach (which for niche hobbies, is a very good thing). There were always critics and jealous commentary, even before the internet. OK, I guess that's their right, and they feel they have something to contribute from that. F-them.

I perceive each update (you post), or sharing of new things, with an excitement you might share amongst friends with similar interests. We are not 'friends' in the usual sense, but we are in 2022 and the definition of friends has changed. If we cannot celebrate some fun things with those that share our interests, then life would be pretty boring and far too practical.

And let's be honest, our hobby is not so popular compared to others. But it's our hobby. Every hobby has inside/outside critics.

You always share a dialogue that follows with information that many people appreciate. Lessons learned, advice needed, just the same as people would do in a local club dedicated to any hobby, but it happens to be in a forum.

I for one really enjoy your adventures. You are not an investigative journalist held to standards of 'truth' vs opinion. You are sharing your passion, and there are a lot of people that enjoy watching and learning what you share.

This morning I decided to setup No-Limits Roller Coaster just for grins. I typically only fire this up for visitor's children, but it's not bad.

This is another example where the NLRv3 is much better at making you feel the motion with a lot more angle. However with the NLRv3 while little kids feet would be dangling off the seat mine would be on the floor which breaks the immersion.

I could feel the D-Box in action once in a while. For some coasters that moment at the top of the climb before you drop it would tilt me so I felt like I was coming over that crest. That sensation worked well on some coasters and did help sell the immersion.

The D-Box haptics have two effects for No-Limits. One for the climb and one for speed. I liked the exciters on the back of the seat better for the SimHub Speed and Carving Speed effects it felt much more like the vibrations you actually get in a rollercoaster ride. The climb haptic effect was OK, but I embellished that with the SimHub acceleration, deceleration, and other effects.

The Hero of No-Limits Roller Coaster is definitely the G-Belt. It's pulling on your outer shoulder hard as you go through the corners and slowing down. The G-Belt made it feel MUCH MUCH more realistic than with out it and for the roller coaster I would take tactile and the G-Belt over the D-Box motion. This is a great example of a title where having a lot more range of motion makes a huge difference. As much as I like the G-Belt, it stood out more on this title than in any other title I've used it.

All that said, I barely touch No-Limits so it doesn't factor into much.

I spent a chunk of the early morning playing Dirt Rally and I'm really enjoying the D-Box and feeling much more connected than ever. In Dirt Rally the D-Box motion is MUCH more important than the G-Belt. The G-Belt definitely adds, but the D-Box is the star of that show. Tactile also adds, but the motion in Rally is what really matters. But I still like having all three working together. ( Taking FFB steering as a given here )

Good decision to buy glue gun!

Everybody should have glue gun at home.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes