Mobile Driving/Flying Cockpit with Motion and Tactile ( Build )

Gloves get a purpose made 3D printed shelf and shoes get nothing.
Shoe lovers are not going to be happy about this. :roflmao:

Ahh yes, but my shoes perform a valuable function. If I didn't set them in my seat when I wasn't using my rig, it would be COVERED with cat fur. We have 3 cats and they all absolutely love that seat. The picture taken below happened when I left my rig for a momentary bathroom break.

catswheretheydontbelong.jpg

I always assumed that most "shoe lovers" were more into something like this. Maybe I completely misunderstood the sim racing community!

1612883699196.png

Last edited:
Now that the casters have arrived I have measurements and know what I need to fabricate out of aluminum.

I also had to order more M6x20 bolts and M6 locknuts since the casters come with wood screws.

aluminumMounts.jpg

I've also got the casters modeled showing their full range of motion so I can now design aesthetically pleasing covers that won't interfere with their movement.

RangeOfMotion.jpg

aluminumStock_6075.jpg

I thought I've be clever and make a spherical hole for the wheel to move around in, but I'm just not loving the result below, so back to the drawing board....

I've had a lot of designs that I was very happy with just come off the top of my head, but apparently this will not be one of them. Fortunately I'm still waiting for bolts and locknuts before I even make the aluminum parts and fit the new casters to my rig. I suspect I may get them mounted this weekend, but I'm just not sure how long it will take to come up with a cover for them that I like.

attempt.jpg

Last edited:
Ahh yes, but my shoes perform a valuable function. If I didn't set them in my seat when I wasn't using my rig, it would be COVERED with cat fur. We have 3 cats and they all absolutely love that seat. The picture taken below happened when I left my rig for a momentary bathroom break.

View attachment 443921

I always assumed that most "shoe lovers" were more into something like this. Maybe I completely misunderstood the sim racing community!

View attachment 443962
Did you add the lights to the steering wheel? Very sharp!

Did you add the lights to the steering wheel? Very sharp!

I've not touched the wheel. It came lit. That PSE wheel is as near perfection as I can imagine for a wheel.

Of course since I only sim in VR, I don't notice the lights much. Then again I put lights on my button box because I thought it would look good..

Last edited:
I've not touched the wheel. It came lit. That PSE wheel is as near perfection as I can imagine for a wheel.

Of course since I only sim in VR, I don't notice the lights much. Then again I put lights on my button box because I thought it would look good..
Weird, I have the same wheel and don't ever recall having lights. I too race only in VR, it doesn't make much of a difference but still looks very cool.
I emailed Simon at PSE, hope he gets back to me with good news...

Simon's super quick response as usual... "Only a couple of units ever had backlit buttons, it was something we tried but it didn’t work for mass production so we stopped it very quickly"

RCHeli, I guess you're one of the lucky ones. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Not too bad. I might be able to work with this.

My camelback cup holder is currently tacked on with two corner braces. This will be more integrated with the 40x40 profile bolted to the angle with beveled bolts from the back.

I'll be using a piece of 3x3 angle on the left rear and cutting down a 4x4 angle on the right rear.

It's not final but getting closer. I still need to do the front covers, but I'll base them off of the rear covers.

CasterCoverRev2b.jpg
CasterCoverRev2c.jpg

Last edited:
The Caster covers are pretty well laid out and it will take about 4 days to print them all and use most of a 1kg spool of filament. The fronts ended up being from scratch but are better because of that. I want the casters mounted before I start printing in case I decide to change anything.

So $30 filament (including shipping), $41 for the casters, ordered another $20 in M6 bolts and locknuts, probably using $10 in aluminum. So about $100 all together. Not too bad.

Additional M6 bolts and locknuts arrive today as does more Galaxy Black filament. So I should be all set to begin machining aluminum this weekend.

FrontCasters.jpg
CasterCovers.jpg

Last edited:
All the fasteners to bolt the casters to the mount plates, to bolt the mount plates to the profile chassis and to attach the 3D printed covers.

fasteners_6077.jpg

Double checked all my measurements and tolerances and decided to start the first print. So it will be ready tomorrow morning. I expect to machine the aluminum done tomorrow morning, and I will fit the first 3D printed part before starting on the rest just to be safe.

PrintingLeftRearCover_6078.jpg

Just had a vision of a 3D printed seat belt tensioning system that fits inside something that looks like a race car fire extinguisher....

lead-image-1085497-1556819198.jpeg

Hmmm.... maybe someday, but I'll have to noodle on this this for a little while.

STOP IT! I say slapping myself in the face!

lol..

whats funny is that I can tell you that is the passenger side floorpan of a miata. I'd know those seat mount rails and floor drain plugs anywhere. I have a similar dual pull fire bottle...different vendor, tho'.

A few things about these casters. First they do roll much easier and I only have the front casters mounted so far. Second they lock into place when down which works great! The old casters could creep up slightly at times. They also look better. I may need to add something to help hold the rubber cushions in place as I had one pop off on me a couple times.

Last night I cut the Aluminum to size so it could drill this morning early.
AluminumCutToSize_6080.jpg

Beveled on the back.
DrillFrontPlates_6083.jpg

Caster mechanism mounted
FrontMounted_6085.jpg

They installed very easily and with just the front casters mounted it is already rolling much easier :)
FrontMounted_6091.jpg

Now for the failures I need to adjust for.

1. Cosmetically I knew it wouldn't handle a shallow curve off the bed. So I'm not sure why I even tried this. I attempted sanding the mess and the results are crap as shown in the picture below.

2. The BIG failure is that while the caster mechanism will only fit into this cover with some effort before it is mounted. It will not drop down from the top after the caster is mounted to my rig. So I need to make more access from the bottom so it will drop in.

3. Based on the front casters the lever will come up a bit higher than I allowed for.

4. Something you might not have noticed is that I reversed the casters 180 degrees on the plates between the first picture showing them mounted to the plates and the picture above showing the caster mounted to the rig. In the initial position the rig's feet were dragging too much. Rotated which drops the casters 13mm is a just bit too low and the lever will pop all the way up hitting the 8mm bolts at the top of the mount plate, in front. The back doesn't have bolts there, so it should be fine. For now I'm going to leave the front brackets alone and adjust how I drill the rear brackets which I think I'll drop 10mm from where I was planning to drill them.

FirstPrint2Issues_6088.jpg

So I'm going to drill up the rear mounts now and adjust the covers based on what I found.

Drilled the Angle and got the rear casters installed.

It is very easy to move around the room now :)

DrillAngle_6093.jpg

The camelback cup holder is solid enough that I put a grab handle on it.
NewCastersRightRear_6095.jpg

I think these were a good upgrade to my old casters. I think I'm going to take a break from this now. I have 3 day weekend with almost no work and I want to use my rig.
NewCastersLeftRear_6096.jpg

45 degree angle off the build plate.
Enlarged opening at the bottom so it can drop into place.
Top lever stop area moved further back.

Printing now. Tomorrow morning if this looks good, I'll change the others and print them next week.

NewCasterCover.jpg

Next Month On 3D Printing Workshop
We have 3d printed side skirts, front splitter and spoiler. ;)

I think your getting carried away with the printing rather than racing.
It seems the 3D printer motor gets more action than the steering wheel.

Well that would just be silly....

Hmmm.....

I just need to build one of these and I could print those as single parts. :D

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 27 15.1%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 23 12.8%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • Thursday

Votes: 23 12.8%
  • Friday

Votes: 63 35.2%
  • Saturday

Votes: 100 55.9%