Mobile Driving/Flying Cockpit with Motion and Tactile ( Build )

• Deleted member 1449502

This is how I have my exciter wiring. I start sheathing the exciter wires when all 4 sets come together at the bottom. I could black out the exciters and cover the blue spade wrap with black shrink wrap, but the seat belts and G-Belt cables obscure what is behind my seat enough that I'm comfortable with this for now.

For now they are simply pressure fit with the spade connectors. If I find that they come loose over time, I'll cut the spade connectors off and solder them in place.

My exciter placement wasn't achieved through any scientific method. I went with lower back and behind my shoulders. The raised spine on the back of my seat directed placement. I'm happy with the result and I'm leaving them where they are. From the effects I'm feeling so far, I don't think that it's critical to find precise placement.

The G-Belt can only add to what I can feel from them by holding me firmly against the seat.

View attachment 514717
Forgive my ignorance, I have still much to learn, how did you make the speaker wire at the terminals so tidy? is that crimped and soldered on? At the moment I'm considering how to wire mine, and I would rather try to avoid exposed wire. What parts/tools are required to achieve what you have done here?

Forgive my ignorance, I have still much to learn, how did you make the speaker wire at the terminals so tidy? is that crimped and soldered on? At the moment I'm considering how to wire mine, and I would rather try to avoid exposed wire. What parts/tools are required to achieve what you have done here?

These are crimp on Female spade connectors with shrink wrap.

1. Strip the wire.
2. Crimp the connector to the wire.
3. Use a heat gun to shrink the wrap.

Since there are 4 of these going to a similar place, label the wires on both ends and the exciters. Since these are slide on spade connectors, they can still be removed. I've only soldered the other end of the speaker wire to the 8 pole receiver.

ExciterWiring_7026.jpg

exciterCrimp_7028.jpg

Last edited:
Since there have been multiple requests for this. Here are my "current" volume settings and DSP configurations. I'm not suggesting that My DSP settings are final, but these seem to be a good starting point for my rig. Notice that my TST329 and 429 settings are slightly different. The 429 is more efficient and takes less power to make the same impact, so it's curve is a bit lower and I tried to accentuate the high end a bit. TST claims that the 429 is twice as efficient as the 329, and that feels right.

The BK-CT's are 2 ohms and the TST's are 4 ohms, so the TST's are getting about half the wattage of the BK's with the volume knobs set like this. This would "theoretically" be 750W max BK's and 325W max TST's, but that is likely lower. I don't have power limiting. The BK's are rated for the full 1500W( advertised) for each channel into a 2 ohm load. However that is a max rating and this class D amplifier can only sustain that for VERY limited transient. It's RMS value is much lower. Theoretically if that amp was on it's own 15A circuit it would theoretically only pull 1800W from the wall, but it is also driving my Computer, SC2 Pro, NLRv3, G-Belt, 75" TV.

The EPQ-304 is set to 2 notches above 0 and at 80W/channel advertised, it shouldn't be pushing the exciters too hard. Mr. Latte has recommended this setting for the longevity of the exciters which can be blown easily. The 4 of them working together still create an immersive effect.

VolumeSettings_7027.jpg

Dayton 40@ Exciter curves. I'm using this curve on all 4 of my exciters.
Exciters.JPG

BK-CT curve
BKCT.JPG

TST-329 under my foot plate

TST329.JPG

TST-429 under my seat
I de-emphasized a bit of it's power band to try to accentuate the higher end.

TST429.JPG

DSP settings
For instances where different transducers reproduce
overlapping frequency spectra segments of some tactile signal,
their differing phase responses may provoke destructive interference (sharp nulls)
that would be problematic to address e.g. by parametric equalization.
A multichannel volume and delay adjustment VST plugin can address this:

mcfx_gain_delay_8​

Another, more interesting 8-channel VST plugin alternative
that offers MIDI control for both gain and delay.
It gains are from -18 to +18dB, which wants SimHub output reduced
in order to exploit maximum dynamic range control by MIDI.

Delay controls are interesting
for multiple transducers driven by the same signal,
since their responses may be out of phase at crossover frequencies
resulting in destructive interference. Dialing more or less delay
into channels for each transducer enables smoothing response
over that range more effectively than e.g. by parametric EQ.

Since the plugin is still hosted by VSTHost,
configuration procedure is basically the same,
except that there are more (53) possible parameters for MIDI control.
View attachment 515058
The signal generator will be a convenience
for tweaking delays at crossover frequencies.

First world problem.... My new 6 point harness probably won't be here on Monday! I was hoping when I ordered this a week ago that I would have it by now, but if this is the biggest thing in my life that I can complain about, life can't be that bad :)

Break out that world's smallest violin for me !

1636056199358.png

In similar news, the place I ordered a couple extra sizes of racing gloves for guests contacted me to say that they were out of stock and waiting for the next shipment.

All together now..... Awwwwwww!

Last edited:
With the last couple packages I have been expecting, I have seen things in the tracking I have never seen before. Its like they are making stuff up and throwing in new excuses.

With the last couple packages I have been expecting, I have seen things in the tracking I have never seen before. Its like they are making stuff up and throwing in new excuses.

I had never seen the word "sortation" before, so that tracks!

It appears that the package went from Las Vegas to CO, but it was initially supposed to go to UT before coming my way.

Edit: revised to Tuesday.

I have another package that came from China and wasn't supposed to be here for 2 more weeks, but according to the tracking information, it got to my local post office Oct 28th and I guess it's sleeping for now.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 1451080

Deleted

Last edited by a moderator:
(out of the 8 exiters that I have ordered ass I realized that with the SFX motion rig, I need more of all these transducers to feel these)

Do you have a seatbelt tensioner?
At the moment my feeling is that 4 works well. I'm not saying 8 won't be better, just that if you are held against your seat well, you will feel 4 whether you have a motion rig or not. YMMV but Peter Winkle has a full chassis motion rig and is using 4 exciters as are some other people.

Anyway. The more transducers the merrier :)

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 1451080

Deleted

(My wife starts to think that my rig is a never ending project and cost a fortune :roflmao: Well my previous wife would say that is extremely cheap compared to real racing :D).

My wife has already resigned herself to the fact that all my projects become EPIC in nature until I lose interest.

I once rebuilt and restored a houseboat ( engine, generator rebuild, rewire, new hoses, batteries, chargers, repaint, recarpet, refiberglass the roof. It had a good hull :) It was about 17,000lbs with a flybridge large front and rear decks and some serious power. When I purchased it, it was a sinking hazard, fire hazard, explosion hazard, and illegally dumped sewage overboard. It took me 3 months to get it to the point where I could insure it. When I sold it, it was immaculate and had many upgrades and I was COMPLETELY OVER IT!!!!

That was a project that made me swear off projects for a time, but then slowly I started working my way back.....

The houseboat was just an accessory for my purchased new custom for me tournament ski boat. A Ski Nautique 196 dialed in speed control system with magnetic timing system for record tolerance pulls through the slalom course. Any guesses on how anal I was about that ski boat?

It's a slippery slope and a natural tendency of mine.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 1451080

Deleted

• Deleted member 1451080

Deleted

• Deleted member 1451080

Deleted

• Deleted member 1451080

Deleted