Mobile Driving/Flying Cockpit with Motion and Tactile ( Build )

Unsprung flat fit is pretty good. I think this will work.

InitialFit_8138.jpg

The pedal deck is suspended on the PLA brackets.
The linear bearings are aligned. Vertical motion is smooth.

I tested the vertical supports by themselves with no springs and pulled the pedal deck back as hard as I could. I got about 1/8" of a crack at the very front of the pedal deck. looks pretty rigid :)

I did reverse the top isolation brackets to make it easier to reach the bolts while adjusting the height.

I couldn't see any deflection under brake pressure, but I'll need to have video watching from the side to confirm. Given the PLA mounts and very weak yellow springs I currently have installed the vertical supports seem to be providing a lot of support. I can still go to blue or red springs depending on how everything feels after I make the aluminum brackets.

suspended_8144.jpg

Suspended_8143.jpg

Last edited:
I am wondering if I'll need a cross piece under the foot plate to better support the TST-429. I'll try it without first, but it will be in the middle of about a 230 x 500mm unsupported area.

My honey do list today started with deadheading and pruning the rose garden. Below is a sampling of the roses from the bushes that frequently bite me.

Next she asked me to clean up the garage( my shop area). I may have to spend some time in there now :)

Sedona_8173.jpg
FallingInLove_8172.jpg
RockandRoll_8167.jpg
VetransHonor_8176.jpg
Octoberfest_8174.jpg
StPatricks_8169.jpg
ChaChing_8161.jpg
GrandeDamme_8159.jpg
StainlessSteel_8158.jpg
Moonstone_8150.jpg

Last edited:
they look like arrows, right down to the word sparco on them?
I just searched my email history and thought I found them. You could be right. I think I purchased them directly from Sparco. Their labels don't identify them.

I like them, but they do shed white stuff a bit.
gloves_8190.jpg

Last edited:
Got the plate mounted and got the garage cleaned up so my wife's happy too.

The plate fits like a glove, but given this is probably my 6th? pedal deck foot plate design, I guess I've had practice.

The action from the linear bearings feels good. I have it lifted up a ways in the picture below and it was not binding at all. For tactile motion it will not be traveling very much, but the fact it can move freely across many inches of travel shows that the bearings are aligned past the accuracy required for this application.

platemounted_8187.jpg

Last edited:
That looks really professional, Mark. I look on with great admiration for the amount of thought, planning and precision you put into your workmanship :thumbsup:

Every time I scrape my heels across my non flush and poorly aligned countersunk bolts I will think of you with envy :D

The steps involved to get good bevel holes are not hard.

Use a drill press. Mine is a cheap table top version. Get good bits. Use cutting fluid.

1. Through drill the bolt size, M8 for example. I use an 8.5mm bit for beveled bolt holes.
2. Use a good chamfer bit.
3. Set the stop on the drill press for consistent depth. Creep up on the right depth and when the bolt is perfectly flush save that stop point.

Rinse and repeat.

It also helps to precisely measure where the bolts go and use an auto punch to set your bolt hole centers.

If you have a very square piece to start with. Then you can use a caliper to score a line with an offset like 20mm for the centerline of 40 series profile.

For a smooth edge a deburring tool is helpful. I also recently got a chamfering deburring tool as a deburring aid for freshly drilled holes. I just run it around a freshly drilled hole to remove any sharp edges.

For finishing a 100 grit random orbital sander will create a nice speckled finish.

A 220 grit sandpaper with a soft supportive backing run in very parallel fashion will created a nice brushed finish.

For a mirror finish polish and a hand drill with a foam pad works well. A buffing wheel can be helpful.

Last edited:
The will is weak... I didn't need them, but I wanted them... <sigh>
You are only here once… you can’t take it with you when your gone… you are only here for a fun time, not a long time… (and all the other sayings you can think of)…

Trust me, you won’t be disappointed…

Last edited:
Poor excuses people use to justify sim purchases.

1. You only live once.
2. You could be wasting your money on drugs, alcohol, gambling.
3. It will improve your lap time. ( LOL! )

I knew I had gone down the hole already. I was watching and re-watching reviews, reading articles. Looking at the dimensions to make sure I could fit them to my rig. I think they they call this "getting the bug".

In the words of George Best…

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars (and sim racing gear*). The rest I just squandered."

… *I added the sim racing gear bit ;)

Last edited:
Made a little more progress with the BK mount. Wish I had more to show for today. This bandsaw blade has lost a lot of its cutting ability.
BK_Support_8194.jpg

5 bolts is probably overkill, but why not?
BK_Support_8195.jpg

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 50 12.3%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 42 10.3%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 48 11.8%
  • Thursday

Votes: 46 11.3%
  • Friday

Votes: 141 34.6%
  • Saturday

Votes: 240 59.0%