Mclaren Confirm Double DRS Concept in Development....

Mclaren have confirmed that they are developing a device similar to the double DRS used by Mercedes.
This comes despite confirmation on the device being banned for 2013, after a majority vote by the teams. This comes at a big disadvantage to Mercedes and Lotus, who already have key data and knowledge of the device.

Mercedes have used the device on the W03 since the start of the campaign. The device brings air through a hole in the rear wing when the DRS is enabled, making the air travel forward through the car and out in front of the front wing, stalling it. Lotus also started development on the device and tested it during Friday’s free practice sessions in Germany and Hungary.
So it comes as a surprise that Mclaren are developing a similar device, despite its ban for next season. They have the funds and resources but is there much point?
Sam Michael told Autosport “It’s not like the Lotus one, but we have got a system like that, as for the chances of us bringing it, I don’t know yet. We will look at all the programmes and see if it is feasible, because it requires work and it detracts from normal upgrades as well. So it is quite difficult to make the system work, as Lotus are discovering. But like anything in the pit lane, if we see a new idea then the guys jump on it, they analyse it and, if we decide that it will be a benefit to the team, then we will bring it in.”
On resources, he said “There is possibly the question of a wasted resource on it. As for Lotus, they are damn quick already, and if they add that then they will be even quicker.”

Mercedes have been nowhere this year. I'd hardly say the system has given them edge at all.
It´s not like the Mercedes system though, and it´s not the same car.
Judging by what he´s saying it will be something completely new.

Even though it gets banned next year there´s still only halfway to go and if you can get even 2 tenths from this then they´ll take it.
The grid is so tight this year that it´s worth going for these types of things and see if there´s an advantage to get.
Lotus was ridiculously quick in Hungary. Imagine adding the system on top of that.
At tracks like SPA Monza i think you´ll see a huge advantage on straight lines. If you get it to work properly.

Renault´s is rumored to be passive which basically means you can use this "smaller DRS" all the time in the races.

Renault´s is rumored to be passive which basically means you can use this "smaller DRS" all the time in the races.
There have been many rumors about Mercedes' system as well - which all turned out to be way over the top. Remember the concept where the air came through the nose, and then depending on whether the car was turning left, right, or driving in a straight line was fed into different channels and came out of different parts of the front wing?
That, and all the other ludicrously complicated concepts turned out to be false. I often get the feeling that the real updates on F1 cars fall way, way short of what people conjure up on F1 Technical, simply because it's not that easy to actually implement those (admittedly, pretty cool) ideas.

Remember the concept where the air came through the nose, and then depending on whether the car was turning left, right, or driving in a straight line was fed into different channels and came out of different parts of the front wing?
Yea, quickly shot down as it was against the regulations to use the nosecone hole as anything other then cooling components/driver.

Yea, quickly shot down as it was against the regulations to use the nosecone hole as anything other then cooling components/driver.
I'm aware of the rule, but...
1. Didn't Mercedes actually use the nosecone hole last year for some DDRS prototype (in Japan, if I recall it correctly) but then stopped using it because the drivers said it felt weird (which is why they tied it to the DRS)?
2. And the RB nose hole also (apparently) serves the purpose of reattaching the airflow after the bump.

1. not sure, don´t think they raced such a version but yea i´ve seen those pictures where the "grill" is gone.

2. that´s what many think yea, it does seem like it. Some think it´s creating an air-cushion as well to "eliminate" the bump.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back