Massa Announces F1 Retirement - Williams Seat Fight Hots Up

So goodbye Felipe...Again.
Kviat is too much emotional unstable. Nervous and for now without motivation. So...No.
Pascal after contusion is really slow. Last time slower as worst F1 driver and his teammate - Erricson. So...No.
And both are too young for general sponsor - Martini.
Di Resta - Well...Remember the time when test driver dove for Ferrari after Massa terible crasch in Hungary? SO...Former F1 driver was more as 2 sec. slower from other guys. Slower as slowest cars on track too. This is DiResta problem. He shows nothing as F1 driver, what can he show now? And what is more important - he is still Williams Test Driver. Williams knows him and...says nothing about. So is an...really way, way, way eventualy possible to hire as regular driver.
Robert Kubica - risky. Yes. Only he knows how much he can doo. For real. Ok, he shows with Renault - double race distance is nothing. Even on Hngaroring which is not too easy for...One hand driver. (I try in F1 2017, sooo...After 10 laps I quit. What is more important - Kubica is still fast. Now, after 6 years without F1 contact is still the same, succes hunger and will to win. And still damn fast. For now is good choice.

Even if Kubica drive in 2018 for Willimas it's no problem to write an provision to get him out if he has more health problems to drive all season and than give a chance for DiResta or others...

Only seems like 2 seconds ago since I saw him on TV crying because he was leaving ,
then saw him so excited he was returning with another seat in 2017 and now hes leaving again / retiring ,
do not know what to think , like the boy who cried wolf , getting the feelings and impression of this ,
before felt a little sad he was a great driver in F1 , now all I feel is bye bye the little boy who cry cry .

let's not forget Massa's near fatal accident at Hungary where that spring from the car in front hit his helmet. never thought he'd come back from that. So, adieu Felippe, probably deserved a championship somewhere along the way, just never in the right car at the right moment with the right second driver.
As for replacement, I'd say Wehrlein, but his recent performance has been ... He seems to have given up about halfway through the season, never a good sign.

Kviat is the only real contender.
Wehrlein might get in if Daimler Benz still regard him as one of their own, and as much as I respect both Paul Di Resta and Robert Kubica they are not really competitive or practical choices.
Kviat is a driver who will thrive in a supportive team, he's young enough and IMHO hungry enough to have a real go at kicking the RBR/STR Svengali in the nuts.
In a stable environment he could rebuild his confidence and I imagine his backers would inject a fair amount of $$$ in the Williams coffers.
:thumbsup:

I was never particularly fond of Massa.. That was, until that fateful race in Brazil 2008. The way that he conducted himself after such a cruel twist of fate, denying him the title on the final lap of the final race was admirable.

Back on topic, it seems that I'm in the minority - thinking that Kvyat is the most logical choice.
Kubica - Nothing more than a publicity stunt I'm afraid..
Di Resta - Didn't impress enough for me, either at Force India or covering for Massa at Williams in Budapest.
Wehrlein - There's a reason that Ocon was favoured for the Force India drive over Wehrlein..
Kvyat - Yes, he's a little reckless at times and his judgement is sometimes questionable. That being said he's a decent point scorer, and people are very quick to forget his sterling debut season at Toro Rosso.

Kubica - Nothing more than a publicity stunt I'm afraid..
- Wrong. We are thinking this too, but before Hungaroring Test in 2017 car. Before this was a show maybe. But now we know what he doo and what he said after. And much more imprtant is - we know how Kubica is. If he said - "Suprisingly not as tough as I think to be" - He siad the truth. Really. Befor test he think - I'm not ready, i can't do it. But he have not oportunity to try. Now is all clear. And yes - F1 is one circus, no doubt, but not in time when one or other team think really about driver as one of the options. For publicity stunt givs that nothing for both sides. And if You look at all - it is not. We have really less infos about situation. What this gives for publicity? 1 or 2 posts on facebook or Twitter is not a stunt...
Di Resta - Didn't impress enough for me, either at Force India or covering for Massa at Williams in Budapest.
- I agree 100%
Wehrlein - There's a reason that Ocon was favoured for the Force India drive over Wehrlein...
yes, and after contusion more reasons too. After is other Wehrlein i like to say. Not the same, fast and talented. More like scared and irregular.
Kvyat - Yes, he's a little reckless at times and his judgement is sometimes questionable. That being said he's a decent point scorer, and people are very quick to forget his sterling debut season at Toro Rosso.
- Well. We have more as 100's drivers which have great F1 debut and then comes...nothing more. I think Kviat is in this group. After his debut shows more unstable form, nervousness and impetuosity. And...This is for Wehrlein too one point minus - Williams have one Young Driver. They need one more but experienced, what can gives tips for Stroll for the future. What can gives Kviat - How to crash Vettel twice in first corner?

i'm missing option "someone else"

Yes that's a valid point. We're focusing on the people we know that have driven the car or maybe have connections with the team.

The possible surprise (maybe) is with the loss of Porsche in WEC could one of those drivers be a possibility? Or could a works DTM Merc driver be in the frame. Just thinking out loud...

I care not who it is, I just hope Williams can find a replacement for Massa that can help bring them back towards the front so we have more intense battles to watch, instead of the boring procession that has become F1

ROBERT KUBICA.....No hesitations!

The only issue that was of concern was his ability to get out of the car quickly and unaided, which he proved to do.

I think what people fail to remember is what talent Robert actually has; And i say has because he does still have it!
I have every race of the 2010 Formula One Season on DVD and i watch them on occasion to relive one of the most close, exciting and action packed seasons i've witnessed since being a child.
F1 in 2010 was in my opinion at it's peak...and unfortunately has declined ever since :cry:

Robert Kubica in 2010 was a real show in terms of what he did with the machine he'd been presented with - A little reminiscent of Ayrton Senna in 1984 in the Toleman.
The Renault car had potential and Robert managed to drag as much as possible out of it - He was leaps & bounds above Petrov (But a little of that could be due to experience).

One also can't forget Vitali Petrov in Abu Dhabi - He managed to fend-off Alonso for the whole race due to his pace; a feat not easily done when talking about Alonso!.

However, we're talking about Robert Kubica here...
I think he should be given the drive for a number of reasons, but the fact is he's proven he can drive and through testing, i think he can regain his speed and familiarity with the new cars.
Even if it is only for one season, i think Kubica deserves to be remembered for what we knew him best - A great Formula One driver!

Let's face it guys Massa is only there because Stroll's Dad paid him off and Bottas moved to Merc, he also pays for the engines.

So his time was always likely to be short lived, win win for Williams as he cost them nothing other than bonuses perhaps.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • More leagues

Votes: 41 19.5%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.5%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.4%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 14 6.7%