Massa Announces F1 Retirement - Williams Seat Fight Hots Up

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Felipe Massa Announces Retirement 2.jpg

Felipe Massa has announced his retirement from Formula One at the end of 2017, bringing to a close a successful 15 year career in Grand Prix racing.

At 36 years of age the season closing Abu Dhabi Grand Prix will mark the final occasion Felipe Massa will sit on a contemporary Formula One grid, closing out a career in Grand Prix races that has seen the popular Brazilian rack up an impressive 267 Grand Prix, 11 race victories, 16 pole positions, 41 podiums, 1160 points and a runners up spot in the 2008 World Championship.

Having retired and then returned to the world of Formula One at the end of 2016 as a late replacement for Williams Mercedes bound Vatteri Bottas, Massa has taken the matter into his own hands ahead of his home Grand Prix by finally putting to bed speculation about who will fill the second Williams seat heading into the new season.

"As everyone knows, after announcing my retirement from Formula One last year, I agreed to return this season to help Williams when the call came" said Massa of his announcement. "I have now enjoyed four great years with the team, but my career in Formula One will finally come to an end this season. Once more, I would like to say a big thank you to everyone who has supported me throughout this time: my wife and my father, my whole family, my manager Nicolas and all my friends, colleagues and sponsors. I would also like to add a huge thank you to all of the fans who have been incredibly supportive and passionate over the years. I take so many great memories with me as I prepare for my final two races in Brazil and Abu Dhabi, and although they will be emotional, I am looking forward to ending on a high note and preparing for a new chapter in my career.”

Williams are thought to be assessing options as to who will drive alongside Canadian teenager Lance Stroll in 2018, with Massa, test driver Paul di Resta, Mercedes protégé and Sauber team leader Pascal Wehrlien plus fan favourite Robert Kubica all in with a shout at the best seat left on the 2018 grid. With the announcement of his F1 retirement today the former Ferrari star has removed himself from the running for a drive and very much ramped up the interest around who Williams will choose for the year ahead.

Following his retirement from Formula One Massa has made no secret of his desire to continue racing in another series, with a seat in the Brazilian StockCar Series regarded as the most likely destination for one of the most likable drivers on the current Formula One grid.

Check out the Formula One sub forum for more news from the world of Grand Prix racing ahead of the upcoming Brazilian Grand Prix.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Will you be sad to see the end of Massa's F1 career? Who should Williams sign for next season? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Might be unpopular opinion... But i can only see Kvyat/Wehrlien getting that seat. They're the best choice out of the current suggestions. But they come under the 25 age clause Martini enforce on Williams. If Williams break/over rule their wish could they lose their title sponsor? PDR and RK are both over that age but whether Williams want to take a risk and put Robert in the car is yet to be determined. Paul is a solid driver and could be good fit, but i enjoy his insight when watching sky and would be sad if didn't have it no more haha

Well firstly I think Massa has driven a pretty good season. The car was good at the beginning of the year but as the season has gone on the development hasn't kept pace with the others and the team is starting to drop back slightly.

He's driven some pretty strong races this year and I felt compared to last year he can certainly move on with his head held high. He's battled hard and got points out of the car when it shouldn't have.

Yes Stroll has outscored him but only due to that podium in Baku. On the whole Felipe has been the more solid member of the team.

I hope he gets a good result in Brazil.

Who will replace him? My money's on Di Resta. I can't see the team wanting to take a risk with Kubica (sorry) and the others don't match the sponsor profile.

All the best to Felipe and I would prefer to see him in WEC in a prototype but I think it's gonna be Formula E.

I've always liked Massa, but this is as good a time as any to hang it up.
He should have plenty of financial security to ride off into the sunset with Rafaela and Felipe and enjoy life.
Time to give it up to a young 'starving' gun for hire.

XPB_279699_1200px.jpg

Brazil 2008...

This remains as one of the most painful races I have ever watched as a Ferrari fan.

As to who should replace Massa at Williams, as much as I would like to see Kubica back in F1 as a sentimental favorite since it feels as if we were all robbed of another tenacious driver that can fight for the title with the right machinery, but in all honesty, Wehrlein or Kvyat will be the more realistic choices here.

View attachment 220419

Brazil 2008...

This remains as one of the most painful races I have ever watched as a Ferrari fan.

As a Massa fan I agree with you. Especially afterwards when you think about crashgate at Singapore. He had that race in the bag until the safety car came out and that bodged pit stop.

What I like to remember though is his drive that day in Brazil was on another level. He was pure class that Sunday :)

He can leave with his head held high. In my opinion he had a strong season, even might have snatched a win at Baku if not for the problems.

As for who replaces him, I think it's gonna be Wehrlein. Kubica and Di Resta don't really seem to make sense. Both have been out too long, and Kubica probably is quite a risky choice. While Wehrlein doesn't meet the Martini age criteria, he likely brings some Mercedes money & engine knowledge. I got the impression Kvyat's name has only been thrown in the mix to get more out of Mercedes by presenting a reasonable alternative to Wehrlein.

If Kubica is physically able, he is the obvious choice: he has proven his skills for many years and he is an ideal choice for sponsors (other than those selling stuff-that-pretendly-makes-teens-high).

Despite i would like to see old dog Kubica back, my bet is on Wehrlien ...
About that Martini 25 yr old clause, in one of sky f1 report (usa i think) they mentioned a "way around" by hiring and reserve driver, that fits the age, for doing sponsorship duties.

Seems a bit soon to retire, but his choice.
Try Kubica Williams - can always do a driver-swap if it doesn't work out (as Torro-Rosso have done this year, with about 14 different drivers).

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back