F1 2010 Manual Gears

F1 2010 The Game (Codemasters)
I see alot of people on this forum dont use manual gear. Currently all my races are manual gears. I was wondering if maybe i could race one of you guys and see how much of a difference it is from automatic, and if i need to hone my skills a bit. It seems to be second nature to me using manual gears. ( not that am a skilled driver ) but every sim game i play is manual. and i get the feeling that switching from automatic to manual could be scary.

I would like to get opinions on using manual gears from you guys.

Out of curiosity does anyone else use the same configuration of button as what i used before i bought a steering wheel.

I personally found the configuration (below) to be spot on but my mates that tried it thought i was nuts and that it felt un-natural.

Accelerate - right trigger
Brake - left trigger
Gear up - left button
Gear down - right button

This makes sence to me as you are not trying to do to much with one hand all the time. you are using both hands while accelrating and going up through the gearbox and the same braking and shifting down. I would give it a go, feels very much in-synq to me :)

that seems pretty sensible alright i might give that a try and @shinzah thats a good setup but i feel using buttons is tricky as its harder to control the acceleration but thanks ill give it a go and see how it goes

Changing gears manualy with a wheel's paddle shifters is extremely satisfying and really makes the game feel like a driving experience.

It's not bad on the xbox pad either (my prefference was x and b buttons) but the wheel makes it so much easier and enjoyable.

... i'm not sure but there's a word for this behavior... Oh yeah it's FANBOY!!! a PS3 FANBOY... i don't care which is better, you don't go to a new place and start trolling about the xbox and/or the ps3. period!

Manual gears is everything on motorsports, everybody should try, theres no fun without it.

Um. Im a PC gamer. I own just about every console that came out in the last three decades, and enjoy them also despite this. Including an original XBOX. You know. The one that doesn't RROD. If this is directed at me, I urge you to PM me so I can ignore you in a more satisfying manner, and the rest of the people here can discuss manual gear changes without posts like this.

I know this sounds strange but it depends on that game mode im playing on. If im offline i prefer to use manual gears and no driving aids to give more of an experience. However, Sprint mode is more of an automatic gear box and medium traction control job ! I find it saves me getting frustrated by other drivers doing stupid things.

Setup wise i use:
Right Trigger - Accelerate
Left Trigger - Brake
X - Shift down
A - Shift up

^ I dont know why, just feels right for me.

I think its marginally quicker to use manual gears, takes some getting used to though but ultimately satisfying!

Automatic is arcade you mean , no ?

Yes, but maybe thats just me. In our F1 LAN league, where we held 3 championships with face to face racing ;-) while I was chairman, with Qualify and Race, most drivers used manual as I recall. Some went for the automatic. To be honest and direct, I *was* back then, a very fast driver, and I enjoyed very much manual as you gain specific control of "enginebraking" - eg. you use your gears to brake, which makes your "turn in" to apex in a corner faster and more direct. Anyway its up to personal temper, and how much in control you like to be. As for the league, most of the drivers who won races used manual...

As I drive now is with every helpthing disabled, besides the TC set to 50%, manual gear, and boxed in the cockpit view. Thats how I find it fun to drive ;-)

PS: platform is PC with Logitech wheel.

I use manual recently and it is much more fun. Yes, more difiicult but it adds more to the driving experience. Also i think when done correctly you can get better lap times, but this i still have to discover :)

Overall you are quicker with manual thats for sure. But you can always find guys who are extremely quick with automatic. We had a guy in the Danish league who won several races and 1 championship, and he was an AUT guy ;-) Also back in the days some of you may remember Atomic, an online racer from Germany, for the sims F1RC and F1C, he was also driving with Automatic. We had some serious sharing of setups, addons etc. Fantastic days, hope F1 2010 can bring some of the F1 sim glory back ;-) cheers peter

Just to add my bit, f12010 is the first racing sim i have been able to use manual gears. I have found that using controllers in the past that its just to fiddly to do everything but having a reasonably priced steering wheel and pedals i have found that the transition from auto to manual was pretty simple. My advice is hunt a round for a wheel and its a darn site easier. I have knocked seconds off my lap times.
Console i use is the xbox but i wouldnt say no to a ps3 if anyones giving one away.

Hi Guys.
New to the forum as well, cheers to all.
AS for the manual shifting, just give it a go, and be patient.
Don't expect to be ace right from the start, the more laps you do the more you will get the hang of it.
And believe me, when you got it right, all it will will make sense and it will feel very good and rewarding.
With manual you can control much better corner entries, and power control under the turns under the same gear and get speed out of the corners much faster than auto shifting.
You will be faster, and that is what racing is all about.
Hope to give you guys some inspiration :)
Good races out there.

Hi, I always drive manual because I like it more. Ofcourse like naifexx said, you need to be patient. It also took a while for me to master it but I mastered it when I was like 11-12 years old so it shouldn't be such a challenge.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.