F1 2010 Manual Gears

F1 2010 The Game (Codemasters)
I see alot of people on this forum dont use manual gear. Currently all my races are manual gears. I was wondering if maybe i could race one of you guys and see how much of a difference it is from automatic, and if i need to hone my skills a bit. It seems to be second nature to me using manual gears. ( not that am a skilled driver ) but every sim game i play is manual. and i get the feeling that switching from automatic to manual could be scary.

I would like to get opinions on using manual gears from you guys.

I'd also like to know how a patented, tried, and true controller design for racing games is a "ripoff", of what? And besides you're flawwd aesthetical values (A suxbox better looking then a ps3? seriously? at the very least, the wii is the most stylish anyway.) what sucks about the PS3? More wheels work with it. It doesn't have horrible games like Forza. And it outputs true 1080p. Not that upscaled 720p garbage that microsoft *thinks* is 1080p because they will it so. Plus. That post was entirely off topic, for a moderator such as yourself. Have some control man. *points at PM buton*

Besides the price the fact that the games IMO on the PS3 suck its like playing an atari or commodore 64 and as for 1080p wow big woop i would rather play a game the it should be played rather than the way a PS3 console thinks it should be played i think ill stick with my "suxbox" as you so adequately put it

I have talked to plenty of people who reckon that the gameplay on the "suxbox" is far better than the PS3 and as for having some control i was merely airing my opinion of a quite frankly overrated console that overcharges for pretty much less than what microsoft has to offer.

Forza is a horrible game how does that figure whats better than it GT5 you cant even do damage to your car on GT5 how is that realistic.

Also when i said the controller was a ripoff i meant money wise not patent wise.

Sony overcharge for a controller that is hardly proven to be better at racing games as the R2 L2 buttons put more resistance on your fingers as you push them thus leading to your hands slipping off the buttons and sore fingers.

You cant honestly say that one controller is proven to be better than another as it will always come down to preference and i honestly prefer the Xbox over PS3 and vice versa for yourself.

Basically is was discussing what i think of the PS3 and the last time i checked this was a forum where you can discuss topics.

And as for your post about big clunky 360 controllers contrary to popular belief, both the PS3 dualshock 3 (DS3) and the Xbox 360 gamepad are quite similar in size. With both controllers laid out, the dimensions of the controllers are roughly 6 x 3.5 x 2 inches. There is a misconception that the Xbox 360 controller is bigger than the PS3 controller, which is false. The Xbox 360 controller however does have slightly more girth around the handle area causing you to cradle the controller instead of grasping it like the DS3.

Im not trying to pick a fight either i was merely airing my beliefs on the PS3 i owned one didnt like it and got a 360 instead everyone has their own opinion just like you and i was just sharing no hard feelings :)

The right answer is that you are both wrong, these kinda "my console is better" arguements lead to nowhere so i think its best you agree to disagree and move on. About GT5, it does infact have very nice damage and it is likely to be an awesome game. As for Forza 3, its clearly a great game and a lot of people love it, some people wont like it and others will as with all things in life.

My view is that i prefer the playstation type controller, it feels nice in my hands and it is what i have become accustomed to over the years, i changed gears using the back R/L 2 buttons and its very natural for me. Graphics wise the playstation is more powerful on paper, but the graphics in a game is more down to the developer making it than the console running it, and how well they optimise it to the hardware. And as for racing games, which controller is best doesnt matter as in most games no gamepad can compete with a good steering wheel.

exactly what he said, i have both consoles and really i have them both because each was is good in there on way, i would never play Call of duty in PS3 just like i wouldnt play F12010 on xbox, because like everything there each good in there own way, now back to the topic, who live in the US and would like to have a race tonight, someone that could drive good, i need to see how good or bad my Manual skills are compared to people in Auto, because i tried automatic yesterday and man it sucks!!! you basically have no control over the car, felt really off to me. So if anyone wants to get on tonight and do some runs for fun let me know send me a PM and i will send you my gamer tag, oh i dont have a mic for the PS3 so the room will be nothing but beautiful F1 noise!

Just to stick in my 2p, I have to agree that the xbox is much more comfortable than the playstation ones, positioning of the the left stick and d pad being swapped is much better for thumb comfort, and the triggers on the back are superior. No contest. I agree with all Anthony has said above.

The other advantage is that though xbox live is a subscription service, at least it weans out more idiots from playing than the free for all playstation network.

Just to stick in my 2p, I have to agree that the xbox is much more comfortable than the playstation ones, positioning of the the left stick and d pad being swapped is much better for thumb comfort, and the triggers on the back are superior. No contest. I agree with all Anthony has said above.

The other advantage is that though xbox live is a subscription service, at least it weans out more idiots from playing than the free for all playstation network.

FYI, not to start a console war on a race game thread for all systems, PS3 does have a subscription service. Netflix. Folding@Home. A Browser. Backwards compatibility with all PSX games. Backwards compatibility on select models. True 1080p output. Bluetooth Support. No region locks. Plays Blu-Ray (Which won a media war btw) A larger exclusive game library. And some others, I'm probably forgetting. So featureswise, I think the PS3 matches, or exceeds, the 360. And having owned both consoles, my 360 RROD'd four times in 16 months, my PS3 has not failed in three years of ownership, and costed THE EXACT SAME. Not fighting, making a valid point in response to thread posts.

As for controllerwise, the 360 controller is FAT this is what I mean by large, the analog stick placement might be comfortable for some people, but it hurts the heck out of my hands if I race for more then an hour, and I dont use the triggers for accel/brake, I use them for gear, and when using them in any other game, I've not had any slippage issues.

And another point to be made. Look up some Rfactor keyboard racers before you claim a gamepad can't be as good as a wheel. You might be surprised at what COMFORT does to some people :D

For stick up/down shift, I've done this (on DS style controllers) it can work well in games that actually use a stick sequential or H shifter, but in formula cars, it can be a bit ackward. I don't see much change in trying it with the 360 controller.

Yes. A paid subscription service. Its entirely optional, and for the record, XBL weeds out nobody in my experience, and PSN is the same way, and so to is PSN+. And if I spend 60-70$ on a game with online support, I sure as hell am not paying even 5$ a decade to use it, let alone the ludicrus (actual) fees for xbl.

I dont find it works better. I use the pressure sensitive X and SQUARE button for gas and brake, and L2 R2 for Gear Down/up, L1 is look behind, R1 is pit request, Circle is pit limiter, Triangle is car status, D pad is quick menu, left analog is steer, right analog is look around, start is pause, select is change view.

... i'm not sure but there's a word for this behavior... Oh yeah it's FANBOY!!! a PS3 FANBOY... i don't care which is better, you don't go to a new place and start trolling about the xbox and/or the ps3. period!

Manual gears is everything on motorsports, everybody should try, theres no fun without it.

Out of curiosity does anyone else use the same configuration of button as what i used before i bought a steering wheel.

I personally found the configuration (below) to be spot on but my mates that tried it thought i was nuts and that it felt un-natural.

Accelerate - right trigger
Brake - left trigger
Gear up - left button
Gear down - right button

This makes sence to me as you are not trying to do to much with one hand all the time. you are using both hands while accelrating and going up through the gearbox and the same braking and shifting down. I would give it a go, feels very much in-synq to me :)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 355 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 249 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 178 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 302 13.3%