Low poly vehicle TSOs wanted

It's been surprisingly hard to find simple car objects. I've found some at the Nurburgring which are okay, but they're all Mercs and BMWs. That hardly matters to people who are driving, but if there's a car park which gets seen from a trackside camera, it might look a bit odd.

So does anyone know of any other sets of low poly cars?

Couldn't find anything on Google :/

edit (16th March): see this post

I can give you a whole bunch of low to medium poly cars in 3ds and max format, tho im not sure about the user rights to them, its part of a objects collection I got many years ago, and there is a subcatagory folder titled "vehicles".. in there you`ll find comercial and private vehicles, like trucks, family cars.. race cars, even boats and trains etc.. in terms of quality most of them are basic (in terms of using them for CGI) but for games some of them will pass for trackside props etc. If your interested in it, ill grab it off my work pc on monday zip it and up it next week.

just on a side note, a simple search in google for "free 3ds objects" gets decent results, sure the stuff you`ll find is low quality but thats more or less what your looking for isnt it? ... most sites offering free objects will have a vehicles category

Also if you happen to already have a load of high poly cars, 3ds max has tons of options to optimise mesh and cut down the number of faces..etc while maintaining a good shape and texture coordinates.

regards
pan

Around 40. Also, someone's changed my thread title, but I don't even know what a TSO is. Whatever it is, I want some apparently.

Hmm all those abbrivations. TSO ? Wild guess: Terrible String Objects ?

I think Im not able to create a car with only 40.
Just to give you an idea about my progress, made with SketchUp 6 and not even ready. Dont get
irritated about the materials/textures ;) Just a test.
testcar001_as.jpg

Depends if staying up the 4:30am is a smart thing to do :D Seriously, they're not the greatest models you'll ever see. The back end looks a bit lumpy. I think 83 polys each. An 8 car "sheet"/"atlas" 512x1024 dds, all cars have a left and right side, useful for race numbers/names. An Alpha shadow (separate texture) on a 2 poly plane undreneath, 2cm above ground to avoid flicker. I also made a non-shadow version of each car in my xpack. The wheels on my beetles are perhaps a touch modern though...

FWIW, Strava's Forumla Vee mod, i've dressed them up in liveries inspired by the Tasman Series and pre-Tasman Series openwheelers that raced at Longford from the late '50s to the late '60s. A Graham Hill #1 down the front, a Bruce McLaren #10, A Denny Hulme #2 parked, and a Jim Clark #6 way back there, heading down the paddock path. A Jackie Stewart #3 parked up there too. The last one up there might be a Phil Hill #11 too.

A couple of days ago I found this website. I used Anim8or to convert the high poly models to 3ds format and then used Blender to start experimenting with those that could be converted. Pangaea gave me this link, and I grabbed a couple of objects from there too. For each car I took a screenshot of the front, side, back and top, being sure to keep everything in proportion.

I now have a texture atlas consisting of 9 cars, each in 4 colours. So far I've generated 12 objects (3 models, 4 colours each). I expect that all the objects will be between 35-50 polygons.

One of the sites also had a truck & trailer. I haven't started on them yet but I can't imagine them being too hard to make.

It's coming along nicely:
carpark.jpg

Each of those cars is an individual object, placed via the line tool. I can start on the truck(s) soon. Should I make them a part of this xpack or keep them separate?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back