Load Cell or Hydraulic Brakes

Ok so getting ready to purchase a high end set of pedals and set of budget of $1500 USD for a set. With that said their are a lot of high end pedals out there but trying to decide I want to go with a load cell type pedal like the simworx or huesinkveld pedals or try and find a hydraulic brand like HPP or BJ sim pedals.. Any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated

• Deleted member 197115

Possible but not necessarily due to load cell vs hydraulic pressure sensor difference.
Do they both have otherwise identical construction?

Upvote 0
Possible but not necessarily due to load cell vs hydraulic pressure sensor difference.
Do they both have otherwise identical construction?
Of course not, and they never will have identical construction otherwise the load cell will become hydraulic. I think you're missing the point slightly and seem to be expressing a disdain towards hydraulic brake systems. They may not be necessary, more expensive and more needy than load cell brakes for marginal gain in subjective feel etc, but there is a reason they are being produced. I think the point that you are trying to get across is that the Heusinkvelds are much more appropriate for the average user or enthusiast, which I agree with, but beyond that I prefer my pedals in feel PERSONALLY, plus I like to tinker so maintainence is not an issue for me. But I do believe hydraulics have their place.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

LOL, no, I am certainly not HE spokesman. Just did my share of deep research when deciding between HE and HPP. I am sure I'd be just as happy with HPP, they make very high quality product.
All I was trying to say is that "hydraulic" in the context of sim racing pedals (brakes) is a misleading or better say misinterpreted word when people start relating it to real hydraulic brake systems, which they are not, just different way of reading pedal pressure.
I just don't see how pressure sensor alone can affect the feel of the brakes, when everything first goes through the springs and thick stack of rubber washers.
If companies sill makes them, there is a demand, but afraid "hydraulic" in this context works more as a tricky marketing pitch than anything else.

Upvote 0
LOL, no, I am certainly not HE spokesman. Just did my share of deep research when deciding between HE and HPP. I am sure I'd be just as happy with HPP, they make very high quality product.
All I was trying to say is that "hydraulic" in the context of sim racing pedals (brakes) is a misleading or better say misinterpreted word when people start relating it to real hydraulic brake systems, which they are not, just different way of reading pedal pressure.
I just don't see how pressure sensor alone can affect the feel of the brakes, when everything first goes through the springs and thick stack of rubber washers.
If companies sill makes them, there is a demand, but afraid "hydraulic" in this context works more as a tricky marketing pitch than anything else.
I'm sorry if you were mistaken that I was trying to say the sensors make a difference. You could absolutely use a load cell in conjuction with the hydraulic system. The "hydraulic" part of the pedals certainly exists, and is much more evident on Simtag or my pedals, whereby real master cylinders are used, with brake lines and a slave cylinder (maybe that's why the HPPs feel closer to the Heusinkvelds, as the HPPs are direct with a much much lower fluid volume). Perhaps the HPPs do not have enough of a hydraulic system, with their own system to create a difference in feel over loadcells, and thereby nullify the advantage of hydraulic?

Upvote 0
Another point I would like to make is that if you look at a braking system without ABS or servo assistance, the basics are exactly like a Simtag or Ricmotch etc pedal. Master cylinder to hydraulic line to "brake caliper" which is simulated by a slave cylinder (piston inside a brake caliper) and resistance modules (to stand in for a pad going against a disc, with rubber due to the lower overall system pressure). So you could say that this is in fact accurate. One of the earlier designs I visited for my own project was actually using a Go Kart Caliper against a disk, but in the end it was worst than my current solution as it was not adjustable.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Good point, not all hydraulic systems are created equal. HPP is the closest in design to HE with the main difference hydraulic pressure reader.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back