Live for Speed - Impressive New Graphic Shader Previews

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Live for Speed Rockingham 6.jpg

Live for Speed is a game that refuses to lay down and retire - the developers now showcasing some rather impressive graphical updates currently in the works...

One of the better sim racing games some 14 + years ago, Live for Speed should by all rights have been relegated to the back of the sim racer memory, something that would be of no surprise to those who followed the game back in the day as much of the development support around it from the three man team slowed to a crawl following stage 2 release in 2005.

However like a phoenix from the flames, recent years have seen something of a resurgence for the title, where a steady stream of rather impressive looking updates have been released and done much to breathe new life into the simulation. In the theme of pushing the current game engine to its maximum potential, the Live for Speed development team have a rather tasty looking shader update in the works... aimed at bringing a much improved graphical appearance to a title that continues to defy its grand old age.

In the latest blog posting from the team, we see a selection of images from the virtual rendition of the Rockingham Speedway in England - really showing off the excellent work that has been undertaken by the small group of dedicated developers.

Live for Speed Rockingham 1.jpg
Live for Speed Rockingham 2.jpg
Live for Speed Rockingham 4.jpg

Live for Speed is available exclusively to PC.

Check out the Live for Speed sub forum here at RaceDepartment for the latest Live for Speed news and discussions.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Do you still play LFS? Do you like the look of the new shader update in the pipeline? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below!

Don't get me wrong, back in "it's day" this was the sim of all sims, but with track builder came ramps and silly online races and nobody "raced" anymore, it lost it's edge. You can update the GFX / shaders everything you want, but it is miles behind now, which is such a shame, as like I said, it was right up there, and will always be one of my fondest memories, as I met (alot of RD community) there.

Glad to see Scawen, Eric and Victor ( have met Scawen and Victor and raced them in Karts IRL) they are some of the nicest people you will meet, still working on it, but I feel it's just really lagging behind now :(

Shaun

was my first real venture into online gaming after some dabbling in online with codemaster's race driver series. loved it and played a lot for a couple of months back in 2005 (?). Since it is extremely well written, it uses very little space on my harddrive and still sits there waiting for a day i have some more time on my hands and nothing better to do. the online was impeccable, all else is probably severely dated by now.

shadow118

Premium
Well yeah, but the fact that the car is no longer made might have an impact too ;)
It's actually kinda impressive, if you think about it. They first announced the car in 2008, the same year the Scirocco started production, and now they've delayed for longer than the car has been in production. The unfulfilled promise of a car has outlived the actual car

I love the game, but I get so annoyed it takes forever to finish the "new" physics. Everytime I see news about the game, I instantly think "here we go again". I love the physics for drifting especially and I've played it on and off since 2007. The open maps was a great addition to the game, but I really miss something fresh and new.. We were promised the Scirocco and new tire physics years ago. I've nearly lost my patience.

I even upgraded to S3 just to support the devs...

Neilski

Staff
Premium
Ah, I'm still not remotely sorry that I upgraded to S3.
Quite apart from showing support, it was no more than the price of a few beers and I've had way more fun at ROK than the beers would have been :)
I have more than had my money's worth from LFS!

I haven't had nearly as much fun in any other sim as I've had while racing in LFS, whether it was by putting some serious hours into it (hi NDR) or just by taking part in a bit of light-hearted public multiclass server racing (I miss you, cargame.nl...and I haven't forgotten you either, CTRA).

I don't believe it will ever get as popular as it once was due to the sheer number of great content available nowadays, but Live For Speed is like that old friend you haven't seen in ages, but when you meet again it feels like it was only yesterday. (And there are so many other metaphors that could suit this sim to a tee)

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 80 19.0%
  • €151-500

Votes: 117 27.9%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 69 16.4%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 36 8.6%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 42 10.0%
  • €3001-5000