Liuzzi handed Singapore grid-penalty

Liuzzi has been handed a 5 grid penalty when he qualifies at the Singapore GP, for his extremely poor start and being very stupid to overtake on the grass, which led to him knocking 3 cars out of the Italy GP.

Here's the Article below.

hispania-liuzzi-hrt-2011-uk.jpg

Vitantonio Liuzzi will start the Singapore Grand Prix five places lower than he qualifies, though that will likely be last, after causing an accident on the opening lap of the Italian GP.

He also received a reprimand for causing the collision.

[ Read the rest at thef1times.co.uk - Click Here]

So basically the FIA have handed him an advantage, as now he might as well not show up for qualifying, not use any tyres and still have the same grid spot as he would've qualified in anyway. Only this time with more fresh tyres for the race. (New teams always burn a set of options in Q1)

The FIA should use a sense of perspective with teams at tieback of the grid. A fine would be more damaging.

So basically the FIA have handed him an advantage, as now he might as well not show up for qualifying, not use any tyres and still have the same grid spot as he would've qualified in anyway. Only this time with more fresh tyres for the race. (New teams always burn a set of options in Q1)
Just making sure he sets a good time in FP to get into the 107 window.

Just making sure he sets a good time in FP to get into the 107 window.

Other than the first race of the season, the 107% rule has been redundant.
D'Ambrosio was outside 107% in Canada and they still let him race.

I think they should make this a strict rule, regardless of who you are.
With 2 or 3 appeals per season.

For example, Webber/Alonso/Hamilton, etc crashes in FP3 and can't take part in qualifying and doesn't set a time. 107% rule is enforced, but the team can use one of their 3 appeals.

Or Liuzzi qualifies last, outside the 107% rule for the first 3 races of the season. Uses all of his appeals to be able to start the race. On race 4 he qualifies outside the 107% rule again. Tough luck, hit the showers.

Make it more of a rule rather than a pointless page in the regulations.

The accident similar type than the Vettel - Button one at Spa 2010, he lost the car while overtaking and went into other car.

I can't see the relation with 107% rule as he was actually faster in the start, he just went into the grass (like Alonso or Vettel did) and lost it.

I think the 107% rule is fine as is. All drivers need to prove they can get their car within that time and occasionally some unexpected circumstances means that they fail to do it in Q1. The rule is there to stop cars that are ridiculously off the pace (ie HRT @ Australia) and not to disadvantage the ones that have a bit of bad luck.

For Liuzzi, he still needs to do a time within the 107% and he may as well take part in Quali as he's only going to lose 1 set of tyres and still have plenty of fresh sets for the race.

If I was him, I'd just put in the best possible times in practice sessions with the tyres he has to give back then just put in a banker lap on prime tyres in Qualy.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back