LG New 45" OLED Ultrawide Monitor

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
Finally a new generation of monitors!
IPS has clouding/bleeding, peak brightness and colour banding issues.
VA often crushes blacks and smears during movement.
OLED solves both while improving response time.

Gonna be interesting to see how text clarity is compared to the Dell oled monitor and how they solved the burn-in issues.

800R is massive though. I guess it will turn quite a few potential buyers away from it. It sure would be too curved for me personally!

Not mentioned probably because it's wayyy to curved, the image will be distorted because of that and it has a way to low resolution for 45 inch, will be pixelated/not sharp enough. The price is better then expected so it promises a lot for future monitor oled screens. How are the "burn in issues" of oled these days? Something from the past? Or still an (possible) issue?

• Deleted member 197115

Dang, I hadn't noticed it was only 1440p instead of 4k until you mentioned it!
It's 21:9, not 16:9, so pixel density is about the same as 2160 on 4K.

I mean the image isn't distorted if you're 80cm away. But 45" 21:9 at 80cm distance is pretty big!
Btw I can't really wrap my head around FOV with curved monitors.
Isn't the viewport calculated to be drawn onto a flat plane (your monitor)?

I mean the image isn't distorted if you're 80cm away. But 45" 21:9 at 80cm distance is pretty big!
It is. A monitor curved like that is going to be closer to a triple screen setup in terms of image distortion if the curvature isn't taken into account by the rendering logic.

• Deleted member 197115

We're talking here about a 45 inch screen. So even with 21:9 the pixel density is very low because it's spread over a very large screen, to low for my taste.
With 49" G9 5120 x 1440 I cannot see any pixels from my seat even with reading glasses on.
But it's 32:9 ratio so height is different.

1670868991557.png

21:9 LG 38" from desktop setup is 3840x1600 though, which is probably better density for that ratio.

Biggest question though is what pixel layout this OLED is using, hopefully not Pentile or some other "smart" diodes saving scheme.

But seems like all new OLED monitors use the same panel resolution/size, perhaps coming from the same bin. No doubt we will see higher res later.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Deleted member 197115

If sim properly supports triple screens, this is the best way to set up Ultrawide, or like ACC use Projection correction. But honestly, even with super ultra wide G9 it's not big of a deal, some distortion at edges making side mirrors stretched, not something you would pay lots of attention when racing.

With 49" G9 5120 x 1440 I cannot see any pixels from my seat even with reading glasses on.
But it's 32:9 ratio so height is different.

View attachment 623032

21:9 LG 38" from desktop setup is 3840x1600 though, which is probably better density for that ratio.

Biggest question though is what pixel layout this OLED is using, hopeful not Pentile or some other "smart" diodes saving scheme.

But seems like all new OLED monitors use the same panel resolution/size, perhaps coming from the same bin. No doubt we will see higher res later.
The point with sim racing is not seeing separate pixels but having less shimmering.

I don't see pixels on my G2 or on my 1440P screen. But on my 1440P screen(27inch) and even above native G2 resolution, I still see A LOT of shimmering. It's for 100 percent sure that you also have/see shimmering with fences/shadows and other details in ACC or AMS2 with a 49 inch screen with such resolution, even with high/8x MSAA it will be visible.

Probably about the same or even more then on a regular 1440P 27 inch screen, since the pixel density is about the same. So imo higher resolution is really mandatory to get rid of it. A monitor is always a purchase for a long time, at least for me, so it should be future proof. In my opinion this screen simply isn't future proof. It has around the same pixel density as my 5 year old monitor (and this kind of pixel density was already available for a longer period of time).

• Deleted member 197115

It's for 100 percent sure that you also have/see shimmering with fences/shadows and other details in ACC or AMS2 with a 49 inch screen with such resolution, even with high/8x MSAA it will be visible.
I think you are talking aliasing. Good antialiasing technique combined with supersampling eliminates all of that. Has nothing to do with pixel density.

I think you are talking aliasing. Good antialiasing technique combined with supersampling eliminates all of that. Has nothing to do with pixel density.
If you make the pixels as small as the multisample/supersample sub-pixels, you don't really need anti-aliasing.
Although I'd say it's smoother to have some grey pixels around a black line to smooth things out than making the pixels so tiny that you can't see the "pixel crawl" of the sharp black transition anymore.

• Deleted member 197115

If you make the pixels as small as the multisample/supersample sub-pixels, you don't really need anti-aliasing.
Although I'd say it's smoother to have some grey pixels around a black line to smooth things out than making the pixels so tiny that you can't see the "pixel crawl" of the sharp black transition anymore.
I remember when 4K came out the word on a street was you don't need AA anymore. Right. :)
You probably need at least 8K with all the mighty power to render in native resolution before this could happen. And still I am not sure.

Impossible. It's always a combination. There is no anti aliasing that eliminates all of that with such low resolution.

You need a super high resolution AND the best possible anti aliasing to get rid of it. This screen simply doesn't have that.

With a 45 inch oled and such low resolution there will be major shimmering with 8xMSAA. And there is nothing higher then that.

Of course without TAA/MSAA it's even 10 times worse but even with it maxed out: There is still loads of shimmering at such resolution. If you have a 8K resolution on 45 inch then maybe you can eliminate it completely. Even with 4K+8xMSAA there will be slight shimmering en but it would be wat WAY better then with this resolution (good enough for 2023 standards). This screen is simply outdated at its release for that reason IMO.

Shimmering has everything to do with pixel density. You need very high pixel density PLUS the best anti aliasing to eliminate it. Not just one of the two, it doesn't work like that.

I thought that every sim racer knew this from experience.. so your reply kind of surprised me.

This is true but then you need an INSANE resolution. At least 8K for small screens and probably 16K for larger screen sizes(such as this 45inch screen). So it's really not the way to do it. Since you're completely out of balance performance wise. It's always a combination, highest possible anti aliasing plus highest pixel density that your screen/gpu can provide.

• Deleted member 197115

Which titles and on which monitors/resolution you experience said shimmering?
I haven't seen one in ages on my monitors (38" 3840x1660, 49" 5120 x 1440), but remember those from VR days. And most artifacts I've experienced were from AA which are usually mitigated by supersampling (larger image downsized to smaller res will always look cleaner).

Even with 4K+8xMSAA there will be slight shimmering
Just one thing to drop in:
Msaa doesn't apply to transparent/foliage objects and most dx11/12 titles use rendering methods where there are lots of things msaa doesn't apply to.
Shadows, fences, grass etc.
Sadly supersampling on monitors isn't efficient (acc at 200% resolution scale shimmers only 30% less imo).

Forcing sgssaa to AC1 works quite well, but the TAA from csp works even better.
DLSS does a good job in ACC.

Older games where msaa applies to everything look absolutely mega smooth with 8x msaa even on my 55" 1080p TV!
Games like Witcher 3, which only supports some custom fxaa shimmers heavily even with 4x dsr.

I’m 54cm away from my g9 and fov calculator says 37, I use 33/34 depending on car. The fov calculator was updated to include a curved monitor calculator but it just gave me the same 37 as the normal one. There’s also an interesting thread on Reddit about it and the guy worked out a spread sheet also. I’m happy enough at 33/34 so I have just settled on it and left it. Always smile when I’m on the grid and the cars look the right size etc. coming from vr I never thought monitor would be realistic and immersive and for that reason I am now considering triples over the pimax crystal fs. I just don’t like money lol

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • More leagues

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Prizes

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • Trophies

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 5 7.1%