Let's settle this once and for all: sim racing or simracing

Our hobby is spelled:

• Total voters
It's GOT to be Sim Racing hasn't it?
The online Cambridge Dictionary reckons that simracing isn't a word, but lists both sim and racing as separate words.
I rest my case, m'lud!

EDIT 1 : Oooo... what about "sim-racing"?
EDIT 2 : and as for "Let's settle this once and for all"... I think you might be on the wrong forum for that :laugh:

Last edited:
In Norwegian, splitting words is a big no-no.
Like "Pineapplerings". That is rings of pineapple. While Pineapple Rings is a Pineapple that uses a phone to call (ring) you.
Our word for hospital can be translated to "sick house". However, writing sick house, means that the house is sick, while sickhouse(sykehus) is hospital.
Bits of Tuna, or "Tuna Bites" would mean Tuna that bites you, Tunabites however would be bits of Tuna.
And so on.

To unlearn this when writing English is kinda hard. So for me, regardless of it being right or left wrong, I am way more likely to write it as simracing rather than sim racing.

Since the software we all use is called a Racing Simulator, or Racing Sim for short, it makes sense to me to describe what we do as Sim Racing (or Simulated Racing). They are two separate words, with one abbreviated.

Without the abbreviation, you wouldn't say 'Simulatedracing', so why say 'simracing'?

I vote for Sim Racing :)

p.s. Google search for simracing vs sim racing... 11 million results vs 75 million :p

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back