Let's see how much people agree with this statement.

The physics in GTR2 is by far one of the weirdest in racing gaming history.
I mean, when you go down the bankings in a superspeedway, your car flies into the air!

Current counter of people who agree: 0

That sounds like it might be an issue with the track mesh and not GTR2 per-se? Can you give more details and more importantly, reliably reproduce it? I have never experienced anything like this in the game

I've never experienced that, but I don't run many ovals in GTR2 (Talladega, Daytona, IMS, and Brooklands; and original Monza circuit). But cars can get airborne (forget to slow for the drop at Monthlery and you'll go sailing, to land on your nose fifty yards down the track ...plays hell with laptimes).

I guess you mixed bad track + bad car physics : not everybody is a physics expert and many mods (cars or tracks) are pure crap.
Moreover GTR2 is a GT game and not NASCAR where suspensions are not symmetrical so you must go in garage setup and untick box symmetric then spend lot of time to adjust separately left and right physics.
If cars fly then cgheight value is set too high in respective car HDC setup files so replace by
CGHeight=0.20
Do not exceed 0.30 or car will fly at each bump, it also depends on car speed, suspension and aero settings of course!
And increase rear wing aero downforces to limit car fly.
Depending on the track banking curve maybe car ride height is set too low so try to increase suspension height too.
GTR2 is a simulator so 50% of the work is to fine tune garage setup, this is clearly not the kind of game you can drive without spending hours in garage setup (unless you already know the car/track and how to set it up). If you prefer to select a car and make a race instantly without knocking your head on desk then you should consider to try EA NFS SHIFT 2 or any codemasters GRID which are excellent simcade with instant joy without taking care of garage setup.

GTR2 is actually rFactor 1.5 exactly between rF1 and rF2 physics, it was acclaimed as the best simulator in history back in 2007 with multiple awards winner. As any simulator, physics are considered as realistic as long as you keep values inside working window, so if car/track mod use bad range values then it becomes unrealistic.
Today you can attack GTR2 on graphics (old dx9) part but certainly not on its physics engine which is still better than many newer racing games/sims.

Last edited:
Done a few hundred hours in GTR2 now - it's all bliss for me. I know we all have a friend, but I really do have a friend who I have over who uses my rig to practice all of the UK tracks he takes his GT car to (older gentleman racing if you like). We were using AC for the last 2 years but he kept complaining his Porsche felt nothing like the modern Porsches we were using in AC so a few weeks ago put him on GTR2 and he loved it but I didn't have a copy of Croft (which was the next track visit) for him to practice on at the time. He felt GTR2 was much more on point and tbh aside from the Formulas in AC I sorta agree with him. I think GTR2 gives a great feel of contact with the tarmac, weighty in a good way.

And btw - I agree about the bad mod oval track thing - I know it's just specific tracks as I've been bombing about classic monza with the high banked oval style corners with no problems whatsoever. I think Daytona track mod is nuked also btw.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back