Tracks Lets say I wanted to build a track?

Hello, I'm just wondering, as someone who doesn't know anything about AC modding, how hard would it be for me to get started? Where would I get started, what tools would I need to develop a track?

Last edited:
Hello, I'm just wondering, as someone who doesn't know anything about AC modding, how hard would it be for me to get started? Where would I get started, what tools would I need to develop a track?
You need
- To review the pipeline documentation from Kunos
- KSEditor
- a polygonal 3D modeling program like Blender, 3DS Max, etc
- an image editing program like Photoshop, GIMP, etc
- comprehensive tutorials for you chosen programs, so you can learn how to use them as well as general video game asset terminology
- a hell of a lot of time to learn
- a hell of a lot of time to practice
- a hell of a lot of time to do the steps required to create whatever you want
- a lot of time to gather the needed resources and references for the track you want to create (if real or based on reality)
- a level of insanity sufficient to commit thousands of hours to creating toy cars and tracks for a video game

That last point is probably the most important. It is not hyperbole. If you're coming at it with no knowledge of polygonal 3D modeling, image editing, general video game asset creation processes or the moderate level inner workings of modding for AC, you will literally spend thousands of hours to finish your project.

Still up for it? There's a lot of resources around on the site here to help with various aspects of AC modding, but the first step will be to learn your programs of choice. I'd recommend Blender for the 3D side of things as it's very capable, completely free, and has a massive community around it producing tutorials, how-tos and addons. If you can't afford Photoshop, the GIMP is a free alternative (which I have no experience with).

Good luck! It's a hell of a lot of work, but very worth it.

Last edited:
@Ryno917 hit the nail on the head.

Even knowing quite a bit of 3ds max, it still took me almost 2 years to finish my first major track project. But you get more efficient, you find automated tools… it does get easier

Or do like me and be less efficient (1000's of hours is not a joke, really) , take 5+ years to make a really good version of the track you dreamt of (to play toy car in a video game) and still think it was worth it.
Insanity is a good way to put it.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 71 29.7%
  • More leagues

Votes: 49 20.5%
  • Prizes

Votes: 49 20.5%
  • Trophies

Votes: 30 12.6%
  • Forum trophies