Let's bring the fun back to racing!

Daiman Patel

rFactor 2 Technical Assistant
Hello all!

Of late there has been a distinct lack of club and fun racing, using rFactor 2, here at RaceDepartment. Due to staff shortages, and the seeming lack of interest (in spite of guys continuously questioning where the racing has gone, beyond league events), hosting such races has been difficult, and thus seldom.

However, @Dennis Coufal, @Gijs van Elderen and I plan to change this, with the help of @Rupe Wilson and other members of the RD team who support rF2. Our aim is to bring back frequent club events that will cater for all abilities and styles of racing.

If you are genuinely interested in committing to and partaking in such events, or have any suggestions for types of events that you want to see (we already have a few in mind, but we're also keen to hear your ideas, so that we can give you what you want), then we look forward to hearing from you.

Once we begin organising events then hopefully we'll regularly see you online, as well as on TeamSpeak - as much as the intention is to increase the amount of racing, it is also an attempt to bring the community closer together.

I would like to invite my comrades to explain the type of event we have in store, and also invite the rest to you to leave comments expressing ideas and / or interest.

Let's bring the fun back to racing! :D

Well done guys!
My suggestions depend a lot on what leagues are/are not planned in the future.
One thing which worked very well was the friday mini series lasting 80 minutes. I would like to see something similar in gt cars for a pro-am

I mentioned in another thread that the f1 xbox league has a great bunch of guys for their league. This group came together through an ongoing weekly pro-am race. Fun, no pressure but still competitive. Doing something similar in GT cars might increase the interest and number of teams in future VWEC races.

in terms of leagues, I would like to see a formula 2 series as a kind of mini feeder for the FSR series and a bi-weekly gt event lasting say 2-3 hours on a sunday... a kind of mini endurance series. All races should use well known tracks with a bid of width. for example, the autodrome de mores and croft in gt cars would be carnage - as proved even in the clio series. we need pretty much any gp track, le mans or nordschleife.

So in short? lol GT mini endurance, formula 2, pro-am event(s) for recruitment and popular well known tracks which appeal to the imagination.

and...An advert/article each week on the front page to draw people in. I know there was the odd article previously announcing weekly events...but no offense, they were bland articles.
I would be happy to write one for the first race and have offered my support through a job application. Nothing back but I don't mind -because you guys have the passion and I hope everyone will back you on whatever your plans are!:thumbsup:

I would be happy to write one for the first race and have offered my support through a job application. Nothing back but I don't mind -because you guys have the passion and I hope everyone will back you on whatever your plans are!:thumbsup:

Hey Andrew, did you emailed us? Do you know when that was exactly? Maybe it was caught in the numerous google filters :)

Great to hear guys.
Personally i would like to see a 2 hr mini endurance event in line with VWEC spec.
Also many of us are testing and practicing for the upcoming FR 3.5 League.
So a race on the upcoming League track eg this period its Bahrain for the FR3.5 might be easy to fill as a test.
So a practice race or same track different car like the Formula 2 for variety.

I do not know how many are in my situation but here it goes:

1. I never take part in any races with powerful RWD or open wheeler because I am dead slow with these, on average always around 4 to 5 seconds slow...even more depending on track/car.

2. I do not want to be danger to others due to being slow/making many mistakes plus I'd have to always run at the back by myself getting bored.

I'd love to take part in races with rwd/open wheel cars so....

IF there are many like me, who are interested but never take part cause of same issue like me....could we maybe have 2 categories.....the fast and aliens and the not so fast like me.

Maybe there are not many like me, but if there are many who feel the same, maybe it will be worth while.

PS: You might tell me train train train and then take part....I did for the last 10 years and its a fact that I am just not a good rwd driver no matter how much I try, so this will only be the solution, racing with others like me.

Cheers

I do not know how many are in my situation but here it goes:

1. I never take part in any races with powerful RWD or open wheeler because I am dead slow with these, on average always around 4 to 5 seconds slow...even more depending on track/car.

2. I do not want to be danger to others due to being slow/making many mistakes plus I'd have to always run at the back by myself getting bored.

I'd love to take part in races with rwd/open wheel cars so....

IF there are many like me, who are interested but never take part cause of same issue like me....could we maybe have 2 categories.....the fast and aliens and the not so fast like me.

Maybe there are not many like me, but if there are many who feel the same, maybe it will be worth while.

PS: You might tell me train train train and then take part....I did for the last 10 years and its a fact that I am just not a good rwd driver no matter how much I try, so this will only be the solution, racing with others like me.

Cheers

Club racing is all about having some fun. For some (like me), it is the challenge to reach the finish line. For some it's the battle for P1. Only 1 can take P1 and 1 will finish last. I take last position with proud if i'm able to finish. ABS and TC should be available for those powerful cars (a lot of the real GT cars have it for a reason).

I don't going to say "train train train". I say "sign up, sign up, sign up" and have fun with car/track.:thumbsup:

Club racing is all about having some fun. For some (like me), it is the challenge to reach the finish line. For some it's the battle for P1. Only 1 can take P1 and 1 will finish last. I take last position with proud if i'm able to finish. ABS and TC should be available for those powerful cars (a lot of the real GT cars have it for a reason).

I don't going to say "train train train". I say "sign up, sign up, sign up" and have fun with car/track.:thumbsup:

What I like most is close racing, battling with other racers at my level. Im not interested in P1 at all and also not interested racing by myself....I want to have fun by doing some close racing with others and that is only possible if one races with others at same level.

Know what I mean? Senna vs Prost feeling ;)..but of course in a softer way :p

Wonderful initiative. rF2 needs some attention again, in the midst of all the new and shiny stuff coming along.

Still, nothing can challenge ISI products for me, so i'm thrilled. My suggestion would be low spec fixed setup club races, like clios with fixed sets, maybe civics... Level playing field and beginner friendly.

I have persuaded lots of people recently to take up rF2 but to promote this idea of racing here to them, we may need a lower point of entry...

And not just for new ppl. either, as i myself find closed spec, fixed setup races most enjoyable, due to the fairness of it.

I'm in, and i will promote events around my buddies and prospective racers.

I would love to do some races in rF2. Unfortunately, I am in the US time zone so I can reasonably only race on weekends.

Would it be possible to consider a midweek and a weekend race maybe? Weekend races could enjoy more participation from the US. If I recall 20:00 (8pm) time works out well for everyone in the US. It's around 11 or 12 in the west coast (where I live) and 2 or 3 pl for the east coast.

Earlier than that would catch some east coast guys but not msany east coasters.

One other idea: Regardless of the time or day, it would be nice if you guys could publish a Calendar appointment link in the race thread. That way a single click sets the race at the right time and it overcomes the time zone issue as most calendars do the calculation. This would be nice for all races as a matter of fact, along with a sitewide calendar that includes both club and league races. It also makes it easier for the organizers to consider overlap with other races.

Anyway, if at all possible I'll be happy to participate.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back