Le Mans 2018: The Movie - Releases This November

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
The official movie of the 2018 Le Mans 24 Hours will release this November, showcasing the 2018 running of arguably the most difficult racing event in motorsport.

Set to release November 27th, the new movie will be a video showcase of the 86th staging of the legendary Le Mans 24 Hours race held in France, an event steeped in history and widely regarded as one of the toughest and most daunting challenges a racing driver and team can face.

With 2018 offering a challenging time for world endurance racing thanks to a mass exodus of teams and manufacturers in the top tier LMP1 category, the 2018 event would be most notable for the performances of Formula One World Champion Fernando Alonso in the works Toyota team, and the monumental battle that would take place in both the second tier LMP2 category and the ever fierce GTE closed top class of racing.

Aside from the teaser video atop this article, little is known about the new movie other than a November 27th release date. Distribution platforms, video length and content and the theme of the video, aside from the race itself of course, all remain to be revealed.

Stay tuned for more news when it becomes available... (big thanks to @Paul Glover for the heads up :thumbsup:)

LM24 Movie.jpg

For more motorsport news, head over to the Motorsport Sub Forum here at RaceDepartment and join the conversation today!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Would you be interested in watching an official movie of the 2018 Le Mans 24 Hours? Like the look of the teaser trailer? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below!

Last edited:
'This is the inside story of 5 men risking all for racing glory. 4 years ago, JANN MARDENBOROUGH was a dropout playing car games on his sofa. After winning a PlayStation competition, he's on the starting grid of the Mount Everest of Motor Sport: The 24 Hours of Le Mans. Of course, in a game when you crash you can press reset - not so real life'.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5654164/ - I wonder if it can possibly beat the blurb for this.

2016 almost wrote it's own movie plot though. Last year, too, that was crazy in a different way. This year... not so much.

apex11

@Simberia
'This is the inside story of 5 men risking all for racing glory. 4 years ago, JANN MARDENBOROUGH was a dropout playing car games on his sofa. After winning a PlayStation competition, he's on the starting grid of the Mount Everest of Motor Sport: The 24 Hours of Le Mans. Of course, in a game when you crash you can press reset - not so real life'.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5654164/ - I wonder if it can possibly beat the blurb for this.

2016 almost wrote it's own movie plot though. Last year, too, that was crazy in a different way. This year... not so much.

The barrier to anyone racing a car is money. The amount of gentleman drivers who have entered Le Mans is high. That Jann could be taken in at 19 and put through an academy programme should without doubt put him in good stead for a future of driving race cars....
Not that big a deal.
You could take anyone over 16 on here and they could pilot an LMP car around a track, give them months of training and they could start improving, driving a car around a track isn't talent or witch craft...... we as humans invented driving so we kinda made it accessible to do....
The final few tenths that get you above the competition are what matter....(and then having the better car etc)
Sims honestly make it all seem so much harder than it is.....(that is changing though....even rf2 worked that out eventually that race cars grip..)

If you took a 19 kid playing FIFA but who had to that point played non pro football but was fit and hungry andyou gave them a training programme for a few months, he could turn out on a football pitch and manage.... it was not because he played FIFA though......its because he knew his way around a football pitch anyway..
Jann had done racing before and karting.......

The barrier to anyone racing a car is money. The amount of gentleman drivers who have entered Le Mans is high. That Jann could be taken in at 19 and put through an academy programme should without doubt put him in good stead for a future of driving race cars....
Not that big a deal.
You could take anyone over 16 on here and they could pilot an LMP car around a track, give them months of training and they could start improving, driving a car around a track isn't talent or witch craft...... we as humans invented driving so we kinda made it accessible to do....
The final few tenths that get you above the competition are what matter....(and then having the better car etc)
Sims honestly make it all seem so much harder than it is.....(that is changing though....even rf2 worked that out eventually that race cars grip..)

If you took a 19 kid playing FIFA but who had to that point played non pro football but was fit and hungry andyou gave them a training programme for a few months, he could turn out on a football pitch and manage.... it was not because he played FIFA though......its because he knew his way around a football pitch anyway..
Jann had done racing before and karting.......
"If you took a 19 kid playing FIFA but who had to that point played non pro football but was fit and hungry and you gave them a training programme for a few months, he could turn out on a football pitch and manage"
e8a.gif

Dude. A simracer driving real race cars has nothing in common with a FIFA player playing professional football. Simracing actually translates to reality, unlike football games. I understand your comparison, but the example was awful.

"If you took a 19 kid playing FIFA but who had to that point played non pro football but was fit and hungry and you gave them a training programme for a few months, he could turn out on a football pitch and manage"

e8a.gif

Dude. A simracer driving real race cars has nothing in common with a FIFA player playing professional football. Simracing actually translates to reality, unlike football games. I understand your comparison, but the example was awful.

Correct. With simracing you can really prep yourself for Motorsport. Track knowledge alone is worth a lot. It's common for race drivers train on a simulator (the poor ones on simracing games). Not sure if pro footballers train playing FIFA. It's pretty much simracing and flight Sims the only ones that can prep you for the real thing I think. So yeah, anyone of us could be successful on the track. We'll never know though :( $$$

if fifa was played from first person view on some sort of treadmill rig with a crazy wireless motion ball then maybe the comparison would work.

but in that case you'd be wrong because you'd need to demonstrate physical ability and skill. like in real life.

apex11

@Simberia
The blurb i quoted states "Jann went from being a drop out playing racing games sat in his sofa...to Le Mans..."

I gleen from this the idea was he is using a console and controller...... so the FIFA analogy fits....

Yes us lot with fancy rigs and wheels etc etc... but a console kid wit a controller sat on sofa playing gran turismo is nothing like it...

Jann was already someone who had raced cars and could drive a car.....all he really needed was some taining, but even the pros still get training....

Well that went a strange direction, I was just quoting part of the movie blurb for the 2016 film - "LE MANS! 3D!" - just to show how silly it was ( read it in your head in a usual movie trailer voice - actually follow the link and read all of it like that ).

I have great respect for the GT Academy guys, I used to race one of the early ones online all the time before he went through it, and he ended up racing GT cars in the US a lot, all the way up to the Daytona 24hrs.

apex11

@Simberia
Focus will be on Alonso, a guy who moaned about F1 because you have to be in the best car by a mile to have any chance of a win (unless others break), ((he didn't moan when it suited him in the Renault though....))
To celebrating his greatness in a race where you have to be in the best car by a mile....difference was, this time he was in that car....

apex11

@Simberia
Correct. With simracing you can really prep yourself for Motorsport. Track knowledge alone is worth a lot. It's common for race drivers train on a simulator (the poor ones on simracing games). Not sure if pro footballers train playing FIFA. It's pretty much simracing and flight Sims the only ones that can prep you for the real thing I think. So yeah, anyone of us could be successful on the track. We'll never know though :( $$$

I totally agree, but the PR gumph was around Jann using GT and a PS4 and a controller... load of rubbish, that is no different to saying FIFA 19 will make you a good footballer.....

But yes regards football as a sport compared to motor racing, a kid can go play football in the park for free with a ball... a kid can't simply do that with a kart.... money talks and the sheer amount of rich Daddies kids who end up racing as pro's is not because rich kids are born to race..... but a kid from any back ground can become a footballer and they do....

Well, it's certainly far cheaper to become a footballer, but you still have to pay for fitness trainers & even just diet so it's not like there's no expense at all. Most of the expense with karting properly will be travel, and that's only going to get worse :(

apex11

@Simberia
There is a lot of racing drivers only there due to money, paying to drive..... i doubt there are many footballers just playing for a top team because they paid to be there in the first team........

Yeah I didn't want to mention rich parents just on the basis of not offending anybody here ;). But it's true that talent and willingness without money is with nothing. Ok there's a few who got a chance based on their simracing success. But then how many of us would do much better when feeling the car through the g-forces and all. Anyways than god god simply racing ;) at least I can scratch some of that itch wit it :D

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 86 19.4%
  • €151-500

Votes: 121 27.3%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 73 16.4%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 39 8.8%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 43 9.7%
  • €3001-5000