PC1 Latest Build testing.

Andy_J

I hate Race cheats ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
As you all know, Ian gave me a free pass to test the latest builds and that's what I have been doing for the last week. I will report here as and when I see fit to tell all about my findings.

But I will say that the latest build (296) is quite good. Now lets make some sense of my statement. I used a Lotus 98T in helmet cam using my antique MOMO red wheel and I can honestly report it is coming along much better than I anticipated. The actual feel and immersion is damn fine at this point. The handling is strange at first compared to say...RF2 and FVA, but it grows on you within minutes. At this point in time, this actual car feels good. I like it and I love the Milan circuit. The damage model has come on leaps and bounds.

I am doing some more testing all of next week using a G27 and I will also test some of the other cars that don't interest me as much (I am a F1 nut) and see how the feel in comparison to Shift 2, because that is what I was initially comparing PCars to.

I would like the replay function to have a directors mode though. Something that jumps from action to action and from car to car.

Aside from that, the replay's do crash my PC quite often but I understand that is being looked at.

Watch this space.

That's why there will be a pcars 2, alot people don't realize this project was only funded with $3 million dollars which really isn't a whole lot compared to other titles once you factor in the licenses, employees, tech, marketing etc. The money raised is done and probably was quit awhile ago that's why the game is being released to bring in money so they can continue support, content, features and pay staff.
What sms has done with $3 million compared to the GT & Forza title which have a $80 million + budget is pretty damn impressive if you ask me!
It wasn't 3 million dollars. That's only the money they made out of "normal" funding as far as I know. Do you know the details? Otherwise that's <Mod Edit: No need to swear like that.>

Feel free to list the combined cost of development.

Forza outsources a lot to companies outside of the US which is cheaper. For PD in general Japanese developers are underpaid compared to the US and Europe. I don't know where all that money went in case of those games, on the other hand both Forza and GT always provide a good racing game package. The 10+ million the console manufacturers state also include marketing and other costs.

Last edited by a moderator:
It wasn't 3 million dollars. That's only the money they made out of "normal" funding as far as I know. Do you know the details? Otherwise that's <Mod Edit: No need to swear like that.>. Feel free to list the combined cost of development.

Forza outsources a lot to companies outside of the US which is cheaper. For PD in general Japanese developers are underpaid compared to the US and Europe. I don't know where all that money went in case of those games, on the other hand both Forza and GT always provide a good racing game package. The 10+ million the console manufacturers state also include marketing and other costs.

Sorry my numbers were way off....These are the numbers I got from the form.
Members 2,255,975€
Slightly mad studio's 1,500,00€
Total funded 3,755,975€
What they did and how they outsourced it doesn't change the fact of what they accomplished on a much smaller budget compared to forza and gt

Thanks for correcting it. Suddenly "3 million dollars" are 4+ million :)

I have seen no data at all on the cost of the Turn10 Studios + outsourcing and PD on the other hand during the development of each of their games. Sony and MS both sponsor (real) race events for example, and advertize their respective games on those events. PD works with car manufacturers and designers.

Since were being petty and debating which is basically pennies in the grand scheme of things 755,975€ to be exact ;)
Pcars also worked with car manufactures, a few race drivers and has ties to (real) race events as does pretty much every racing title so Iam not sure what your point of adding that in was about? Unless you thought pcars was built apon fictional content?

http://www.wmdportal.com/projectnews/the-24-hours-of-le-mans-join-project-cars/#more-6646

Thanks for correcting it. Suddenly "3 million dollars" are 4+ million :)

I have seen no data at all on the cost of the Turn10 Studios + outsourcing and PD on the other hand during the development of each of their games. Sony and MS both sponsor (real) race events for example, and advertize their respective games on those events. PD works with car manufacturers and designers.
Gran Turismo 5 - $80Million
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...of-all-time-8815504.html?action=gallery&ino=6

I'm aware they pay drivers to market their game. But thanks for mentioning it :)

Sony sponsored VLN events, see those GT banners on every car?

http://www.racingblog.de/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/vln-2011-10-15-028.jpg

Sony (GT) is official sponsor of Super GT http://supergt.net/en/

The extremely high numbers you state are the aggregate of combined cost. Unless I see Project Cars logos at Le Mans plastered everywhere it's simply no comparison. Realistically we are looking at 10+ versus 4+ million dollars. Why bring up (or make up) numbers you can't back up?

What numbers Iam I making up that I can't back up? Everything I've posted is numbers from multiple Web sources regarding development and marketing costs for the total build of the game. You've yet to show me any break down cost backing your claim That the majority of the cost goes to sponsoring a real life series.
And even if you do find something that lowers the actual development cost to $10 million that's still twice as much as pcars. Iam truly struggling at this point to wrap my head around what we're arguing about, why and what your point is.
80 or 10 million is still much more than 3.7 and I would love to see what sms could have done with that kind of budget

You made it sound like the development budget of Forza and GT is 80 million dollars which is simply not true and disrespectful towards those developers. You made it sound even more money in comparison by understating the development budget of the game from SMS by almost 40%.

And even if you do find something that lowers the actual development cost to $10 million that's still twice as much as pcars. Iam truly struggling at this point to wrap my head around what we're arguing about, why and what your point is.
80 or 10 million is still much more than 3.7 and I would love to see what sms could have done with that kind of budget
That's a complete different situation than what you stated in post #1811. So now it might be just around twice the budget. You obviously got my point so I hope we can just agree on that and move on with the actual discussion of this thread :)

Forza and GT. Great games. They were the starting point for many a sim racer. SMS realized, along with members of their community, that it was time to expect a little more from a sim racing title. IMO they will be bringing more of the PC features of a racing title to the console. Some of these features are in both GT and Forza but will be brought up a level. Some old fashioned features will be tweaked. Like career mode. Players will be able to start their career wherever they want. All the cars will be available right away. No need to grind for Cr or XP to "unlock" cars. We've all been there and done that. Some of the features will be new to console racers and will probably be well received. I, for one, hope they enjoy great success with PCars and it affords them the resources to advance the genre some more.

Don't want to start a new thread for one quastion so just asks here.. In career mode when you start in Formula C or something other low class. Will you then have to drive good to get offer from better classes or can you chose what you want for the next season?..

There are a few modes for career. You can try to "climb the ladder" so to speak which is having to drive good to move to the next level, or you can try to stay consistent within your own class (i.e. keep racing Formula C, season after season), or you can just jump around as you like.

You made it sound like the development budget of Forza and GT is 80 million dollars which is simply not true and disrespectful towards those developers. You made it sound even more money in comparison by understating the development budget of the game from SMS by almost 40%.

That's a complete different situation than what you stated in post #1811. So now it might be just around twice the budget. You obviously got my point so I hope we can just agree on that and move on with the actual discussion of this thread :)
The development budget for GT5 was $80Million, that's a fact. If you have some other information that disputes that feel free to link it. If you have some information that shows that Sony's advertising spending is included in that $80Million, then feel free to link that as well.

The development budget for GT5 was $80Million, that's a fact. If you have some other information that disputes that feel free to link it. If you have some information that shows that Sony's advertising spending is included in that $80Million, then feel free to link that as well.
It's not fact and informations about the actual development costs (R&D plus licensing if you want to include that) are not available to the public. Even if I knew exact numbers (I don't by the way) I would breach NDAs by listing them.

Hey all,
What's the name of this thread? "Latest Build Testing", right? Can I ask people who still have access or who will have pCars at release to send me a PM here or a FR on Steam so we can get together and run some laps? I've grown tired of the development budget talk, funny sim comparisons and other non "Latest Build" info. Hope I'm not being rude. Anyway, the invitation is open for a FR so we can do some "testing". If you are not getting the title or are planning on waiting for user reviews feel free to get in touch with those of us here by posting any questions you may have. Thanks

BTW - There is no sarcasm or antagonistic tone intended with this message, so please don't take it that way.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.