Lap times

i have to ask the question? How is it that some people can be sooo much faster than everyone else? Bathurst for example. 2.01 in a GT2 car. How??

I'd love to see in the leaderboards if it's possible to show things like.
Controller and custom setups. Just so we know it's a level playing field.

BTW, I think your time is pretty darn fast Sean! I can't even come close yet, but will keep trying. Bathurst is a really tough track to get right (not that I ever will get it perfect)! Peter is definitely good to get that time on the default setup:alien:
Sean, I have set up your ghost to follow and you beat the pants off me, particularly through turns 3-9 (see attached image) and 21,22 gives me fits also!:thumbsup:
I guess you will have to follow the best guy to see how he does it.
map_v8bathurst1.jpg

I understand your angst but once you start watching or following others then you can see that it is usually only a couple of tenths or so per corner that they are faster than you. But the most important thing is that they come out of the main corners about 5-7 kph more than you and this translates to very fast times at the end of each straight. Little things add up and soon you are a few seconds behind even though you think you can't go any faster. I am usually 4-5 seconds behind the top guys and sorry to say it but they are just better at driving! Set ups, gears, Driving wheels, pedals and other things can help but I make the most progress when I concentrate on my driving rather than those things. Analyze the track to see which are the most important corners (usually leading to the longest straights) and then see if you can improve on those corners first (set up your car to be fastest on these corners). Then see how much more your top speed is before you have to brake for the next corner. Bathurst has 23 corners and if you can improve a bit on 10 of the most important ones then you could easily knock off 1-1.5 sec. Really improve on corner 1 (faster speed coming out) and see what that can do for you. I'm definitely not that good of a driver but hope that helps.

Thanks, makes sense.

I would like to blame something, definitely not me, its the controller :D

I think the leader board challenge has showed me a few things from the other guys. Too bad I can't see that for the 'DTM Experience Time-Attack: Zandvoort', just to see exactly where I am losing time in that. The good thing is I seem to have the majority of the turns down for braking and turning, so at least I am doing something mostly correct.

I really want to get a wheel, but I don't know what to get, seems like the g27 may just be the easiest option.

Thanks

Thanks for all the advice guys. I've been racing Bathurst since Toca and absolutely love it.
I agree I can probably find some time, particularly going up the mountain. But definitely not 3 seconds without some serious tuning. Also I guess the experts are probably adjusting brake bias and traction on the fly? I really don't understand how the traction settings work in the game.
Also setups are not my strong point. It would be great to see some sharing love happen here as it does with the F1 games.

I remember that code masters games used to compensate for controller users so they had a chance against wheel users. Is that happening in Raceroom?

I messed around a lot with my set-ups for the first time, I can see how it is advantages. I would eventually muddle myself with too many changes, but I did find the gear ratios to be useful so far. I knocked a bit off my best time, but I messed up on a personal best lap right at the last corner, probably would have been .7-9 seconds faster. I am hoping to get to 1:33.5 on the DTM Experience Time-Attack: Zandvoort competition.

This is when telemetry would be your best friend, dunno if R3E supports recording it outside the game like iRacing does? In any case, you would need a faster players telemetry to compare with for it to be of any use, but that would tell you exactly where you are loosing time.

Yeah, that was sort of how I figured out a couple mistakes I was making on the important corners. I did the challenge ghost with the ADAC GT cars, which act very different than the DTM cars, but I could see on the track where I took some corners incorrectly.

I believe I am at a point where I need to understand my style of driving...no idea if that makes sense, but when I switched cars in the DTM I could feel slight differences in how they handled, I started out with the Audi,went to the Merc, but now use the BMW.

Can't say that I enjoy setting up the car. Not something I'm in to. Usually when I end up chasing my tail as the knock on effect of any adjustment must be understood. Plus the fact that you can't save a set up is very annoying.

Dashmeterpro saves all kinds of telemetry. I'm still getting familiar with it so I have no idea what it all means, but it's all there.

I sometimes watch alien's hotlaps, and it rarely looks like they're doing anything different from what I'm doing while setting my slow times. I just remain happy finishing mid-pack. :)

Telemetry would be awesome! As would the ability to save and share set ups.

To be honest, I wouldn't worry competing against the aliens. I personally find it more interesting to look at the lap times of tracks from real races and try to match my performance with those. That's how I gauge my performance.

I'm not a very fast driver myself, if you're doing 2:05's around Bathurst, I would consider YOU an alien, I'm doing it in 2:11's in a BMW M3 GT2 (using the stock setup though).

Basically, I highly doubt these aliens who do blistering lap times in sims would do those same times in reality (something to do with a little thing called mortality).

I think Jeremy Clarkson sums it up absolutely beautifully

Latest News

What does easier access mean to you?

• Free access

Votes: 72 69.9%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 27 26.2%
  • Better structured forum

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • Standard game content

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • No 3pa registration pages