Kovalainen Returns As Caterham Reserve Driver

OverTake.gg

Administrator
Staff
Heikki Kovalainen is to return to Caterham with immediate effect in the role of reserve driver. Kovalainen was dropped by the Leafield-based marque after last season as Caterham opted to head down the pay driver route, initially taking on Charles Pic from Marussia before promoting reserve Giedo van der Garde.

That left Kovalainen, who had been in Formula One for six seasons - with the last three of those with Caterham in its various guises - out of work. But with Caterham struggling at the back of the grid this season, as they have even fallen behind rival tailenders Marussia, Kovalainen has been asked back to help develop their car.

The Finn returns to the track on Friday for first practice for the Bahrain Grand Prix, and will also get behind the wheel for the opening session in Spain early next month.

"It's obviously great news I'll be on track in Bahrain and Spain and I'm really looking forward to getting back to work and helping the team as much as I can," the 31-year-old told EuroSport.

"I'll be taking part in the two FP1 sessions to give the team my input on the new parts we're bringing to those races. I'll also be working closely with the race drivers and the engineers on track and back at Leafield to help everyone get the most out of the new package. I'm physically ready to get back into the car. I know my experience can help give the team new ideas and options for directions to take on set up and strategy."

Current reserve Alexander Rossi moves across to Caterham Racing to compete in this year's GP2 championship in the car raced by Ma Qing Hua at the season-opening race in Malaysia.

Caterham claim Ma, who last Friday became the first Chinese driver to take part in an FP1 session in his home country, remains a core member of their team, with an announcement to be made in due course with regard to his revised race plans.

Assessing the changes, team principal Cyril Abiteboul said: "Heikki returns to track work with us and we are delighted to welcome him back into the team. He has six years of F1 experience behind him so he is perfectly placed to provide us objective feedback on the various types of configurations we will run and to give us an objective view of the 2013 tyres against his experience with the 2012 compounds. Having invested in Heikki for our first three years of competition it would be a waste not to leverage the valuable expertise he brings. As F1 is a team sport, he will also provide support to Charles and Giedo, who are both doing a good job in their first months with the team."

Image: leblogauto
View the Post on the Blog

Great to have Heikki back. Must be the beginning of the end for one of the two current drivers at Caterham. Doesn't show a lot of confidence in the current driver pair if you need to hire an ex-pilot to do the testing of an upgrade.

I hope he gets a permanent seat again with the team.

Lol that picture is scary. Anyway, I guess Giedo has to enjoy this year as much as he can, because I don't think he'll keep the seat for 2014. I think Caterham asked Kovaleinen to come back since the car is a pile of shite, perhaps he can help them. Good luck to them, but since this year I'm favouring Marussia over Caterham.

My guess is they're lining him up to replace van der Garde sometime soon. They need to take the fight to Marussia, and at the minute Giedo's results are holding them back a little.

Lol Bobby Davro, good call.
Nice to see Heikki back he's a class driver. They never should have got rid of him in the first place. Giedo will last 2 more races then Heikki will be in.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back