Kimi Raikkonen

• Wido Rossen

Kimi Raikkonen will not participate in the 2010 Formula One campaign, according to reports in the Finnish press.

Local newspaper Turun Sanomat quoted Raikkonen's manager, Steve Robertson, as saying that following the breakdown of talks with McLaren the Finn would not be persuing a race seat with any other team, preferring not race at all rather than be in a car that could not challenge for the title.

"The options in F1 were with McLaren next season or not at all," said Robertson.

"Kimi and McLaren were unable to reach an agreement, so he will not drive at the F1 level - at least not next year."

"A gap year means nothing for Kimi. He is more interested in fighting for wins and the world championship. F1 will miss Kimi.

"He worked hard over the summer - doing things in a Ferrari that only the best drivers are capable of," he added.

The sabbatical could see the 30-year-old focusing his efforts on the World Rally Championship instead.

An early Christmas present for WRC!

I think he is not coming back to F1 anymore. He'll spend his first WRC year learning all the stuff and then wants to fight for championship next year.

I'm disappointed he's not in F1 anymore. But hopefully he'll be back.
I'd rather see him race against other drivers, rather than drive against the stopwatch in rally. Don't get me wrong, I really like rally, but it's not as public as the F1, where u can watch it on many TV-stations.
As for Rally, I can only watch the summary. It's not as close as F1.

That prolly the biggest problem...

Kimi's 2008 wage: approx € 45 million
Jenson's 2008 wage: approx € 3,5 million

Jenson can expect to double his wage at McLaren. Why spending 6 times for a driver who is maybe just 1 little notch better then Jenson....

Ye thats the problem. I don't think Kimi really had a desire to be there in 2010 otherwise he would of happily dropped his demands. I think he wants some WRC action!

BREAKING NEWS: RAIKKONEN TO MERCEDES GP IN 2010

Long time F1 journo Lito Cavalcanti (who broke the news on Rubens to Brawn in 2009 - Globo cable channel SporTV) is reporting Raikkonen signed with Mercedes for 2010.

News 1

Kimi Raikkonen will not take a sabbatical year in 2010. According to SporTV journalist Lito Cavalcanti, the Finn closed a deal with Mercedes GP for the next season.

The contract duration or values are still unknown. However, the 2007 WDC is extremely valued by the team board for his good results when he drove for McLaren between 2002 and 2006.

Raikkonen clinched 9 of his 18 wins driving a car with Mercedes engines. Besides, he grabbed two vice-championships, in 2003 and 2005, 11 pole-positions and 44 fastest laps. It was with McLaren-Mercedes that the Finn established himself as one of the main drivers of F1.

The announcement of Kimi´s exit of F1 by his managers, the Robertsons, was made before the deal between Button and McLaren was unveiled. The vacancy in Mercedes would have been the initial step to a quick negotiation between the Finn and the German outfit.

Source: http://tazio.uol.com.br/f-1/textos/15098/

News 2

The story of Raikkonen to Mercedes, according to Lito, is a result of McLaren´s thirst for 'vendetta'. "It happened because Brawn lost Button, a revenge of McLaren who left mercedes with Nico Rosberg and Nick Heidfeld, almost nothing", said the journalist.

"Rosberg and Heidfeld never won a race, very little for someone who had a WDC at hand", explained Lito about what remained of the Brawn/Mercedes. "And since Mercedes was closing the partnership with McLaren, the Woking team couldn´t resist to bounce back taking Button with them".

"Robertson, Kimi´s manager, is finishing the details right now, but they are already settled", said Lito. "The basics of it are done and dusted".

Source: http://esporte.ig.com.br/grandepremio/formula1/2009/11/18/raikkonen+assina+com+mercedes+para+2010+af irma+jornalista+9125594.html

More news to follow.

http://translate.google.com/transla...+ACERTA+COM+KIMI+RAIKKONEN.html&sl=auto&tl=en

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back