Ist Generation VR: Worth it?

Hi Guys
Now that I have my CPU and GPU overclocked and running nice, my attention has turned to VR. I'm fastinated by it, but I don't want to jump in with both feet until I'm sure.
First of all: Oculus rift or Vive? I'm guessing Oculus, that seems to be the most popular system for driving sims, and the Oculus costs € 449 here, the Vive is more expensive.
If I buy the Oculus, do I have to buy the whole caboodle with two controllers that I don't need for use in a driving sim, or is a version without controllers available? And how many sensors do I need? One or two? And how far away from the headset must the sensors be to work properly? Will they work when they're only 50cm away, or will I have to modify my cockpit so that they are further away? And what are the problems, if any, with VR? I have an i5 @ 4.6Ghz, and a GTX 1080 @ 2088Mhz, I think VR will run well, but will I encounter any other problems?

The CV1 is just the regular Oculus Rift. It means Consumer Version 1. Look on eBay their are pages of them going secondhand. You'll just need to single sensor for sim racing.

An alternative is a Microsoft headset which you can find a bit cheaper and easier to setup. No tracking sensors needed and they have slightly higher resolution. Again eBay has plenty of people selling them on. Search for 'mixed reality headset'. Other than the more expensive Samsung one), they all have the same specs so it doesn't matter which brand. And they work with Steam VR games.

And... your PC will run racing titles just fine in VR. Some visual in-game setting will need to be tuned down for VR as it effectively rendering 4k.

Thanks for the great advice: I've just ordered an Acer AH101, from Steam recommended ;) I only use Steam driving sims, so it should be painless with the Steam VR App :thumbsup: I just hope my headset fits together with it, I have a sound blaster wireless headset, so at least no cable spaghetti :thumbsup:

Hi Guys
Now that I have my CPU and GPU overclocked and running nice, my attention has turned to VR. I'm fastinated by it, but I don't want to jump in with both feet until I'm sure.
First of all: Oculus rift or Vive? I'm guessing Oculus, that seems to be the most popular system for driving sims, and the Oculus costs € 449 here, the Vive is more expensive.
If I buy the Oculus, do I have to buy the whole caboodle with two controllers that I don't need for use in a driving sim, or is a version without controllers available? And how many sensors do I need? One or two? And how far away from the headset must the sensors be to work properly? Will they work when they're only 50cm away, or will I have to modify my cockpit so that they are further away? And what are the problems, if any, with VR? I have an i5 @ 4.6Ghz, and a GTX 1080 @ 2088Mhz, I think VR will run well, but will I encounter any other problems?

Full disclosure, I have a nice comp. I7 7700 16GB SSD gtx1080 I am not a early adopter in any way, but I am, a sim racer. I am also not a huge fan of MS but.... Last Dec. 20th I got a Samsung odyssey after demoing an Oculus at a best buy with some goofy game. It has been 9 months and I want to say I have been a bit tough on MS working through the "beta", apologies, but at least for sim racing the future is here. Last night I ran an online race with 20 competitors on Assetto Corsa and was getting a solid 85-90 FPS the whole race, no stuttering, no video glitches, just racing! It has been a challenging process getting all the elements together... win 10, WMR software, SteamVR, the Odyssey hardware, etc. but kuddos to all involved in bringing this system to the masses, it is amazing and I am now living the dream since childhood of driving formula cars against real opponents from around the world, all of your efforts have paid off. For anyone who is considering VR, especially for seated experiences, sim racing and I would expect flight sims, just do it, it has finally exceeded my expectations. I am geeked for the future improvements in the tech.
Cheers....

Agree with Motowntom about the MS headsets. The software have improved greatly and it is now a great experience with race- and flight sims.
For me it is not an ether or with VR / monitor I enjoy both setups.
Take your time with setting it up. special when it is the first VR headset.
Also to begin with use it for shorter time periods to get your VR 'legs'
Lower the graphics settings for more FPS and figure out what settings you can increase from there.
With WMR headsets you can try "Motion re projection" later on to use higher graphics settings but it is not for everybody.
Would suggest to begin with just lower the settings and get used to VR with 90 fps first.

Today my Acer AH101 VR Headset came with DPD, two days earlier than amazon said it would arrive :D
I can't wait to get home and try it out. I'm wondering whether I can install it without having to configure the controllers, as I have no interest in using them?
I'll only be using it for AC, ACC, R3E, PC2 etc, with the Steam VR app, and have absolutly no interest in pacing round the room virtually killing dragons, or whatever people do in these games..:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Yes no Problem without controller execpt if you get into steam home or clift house where you need a controller.
I do not switch on my controllers most days ether as I stick to race and flight sims too.
That said there are some nice VR museums and universe simulation that are great in VR.
You can setup a sitting experience and that will be ok in race sim but I make a small room setup that way you get a better head movement with leaning and looking around.
If your room is light in the day remember to switch on lights or you will lose the boundaries when it gets dark.
Remember to install the SreamVR Beta for Windows Headsets or you will have problem with the steamVr programs.
Have fun!

Yes no Problem without controller execpt if you get into steam home or clift house where you need a controller.
I do not switch on my controllers most days ether as I stick to race and flight sims too.
That said there are some nice VR museums and universe simulation that are great in VR.
You can setup a sitting experience and that will be ok in race sim but I make a small room setup that way you get a better head movement with leaning and looking around.
If your room is light in the day remember to switch on lights or you will lose the boundaries when it gets dark.
Remember to install the SreamVR Beta for Windows Headsets or you will have problem with the steamVr programs.
Have fun!
Thanks for the heads up :thumbsup: Downloading the software now...Update: Yeah! finished, now over to Steam to dl the VR app for Windows :)

Thanks for the heads up :thumbsup: Downloading the software now...Update: Yeah! finished, now over to Steam to dl the VR app for Windows :)
So, the first problem: After installing the Steam VR app, and then starting it within Steam, I get the message that it can't find my headset. And when I click on " find headset", it's trying to find a VIVE, which of course it can't find, 'cos my headset is from Acer.Going round in circles at the moment....
I'll try changing the USB port, maybe that'll help, already tried re-booting, no difference.

I have bought Oculus CV1 1 month ago .
Distance to the sensors is just over 1 meter ( there are 2 ) .
There is only 50 cm between the 2 sensors .

Oculus tells me that wont work minimum 1 meter ---But it do work --because I am sitting .
To make it work in windows 7 I had to use a crack --I am a bit stunned that Oculus haven't fixed that yet. ( how many normal consumers are being caught by this )

Until now in racing games I only use for wow effect.
Racing online I don't use it--because I go much slower :whistling:--when I use it.
The speed sensation is in my opinion much lower with VR than without

One of the main reasons is that your cockpit wont shake . when using VR.

The big VR thing for me is using it in my flight simulators there it really shines :):)
and is a big help especially in combat...

Today my Acer AH101 VR Headset came with DPD, two days earlier than amazon said it would arrive :D
I can't wait to get home and try it out. I'm wondering whether I can install it without having to configure the controllers, as I have no interest in using them?
I'll only be using it for AC, ACC, rF2, PC2 etc, with the Steam VR app, and have absolutly no interest in pacing round the room virtually killing dragons, or whatever people do in these games..:rolleyes:
I have not touched my WMR controllers for months, but you will need to at least use them initially to figure out the WMR software(cliffhouse). After that you can launch at least AC from content mgr. or the vanilla launcher, don't know about the other titles. Read up on the implementation of the SteamVR software as it has a huge effect on performance. Good luck and have fun.
Cheer

Thanks very much for pointing me to that, that was the missing piece of the puzzle. I'm getting there slowly, the only game that really seems to work as it should is PC2, and in that, VR is f*cking brilliant! It was worth the money just for that. I drove in LeMans in an LMP2 Ligier, and I could've sworn I can touch the switches! And you really have the feeling that you're sitting on the right side of the car, and not in the middle.
In the other games it's a mixed bag: in R3E I can drive, but in the menu it's almost impossible to select things because the mouse doesn't work properly. And in AC and ACC, most disapointingly of all, I don't seem to be able to select VR alone, when I try to select it, I get a warning that they will run VR and desktop, I can't seem to seperate them. And it was mainly because of those two games that I finally decided to take the plunge with VR.
I guess I'll get that sorted out too, I'm probably doing something silly, and missing the wood for the trees ;) Slowly, slowly, catchee monkey...:D

Thanks very much for pointing me to that, that was the missing piece of the puzzle. I'm getting there slowly, the only game that really seems to work as it should is PC2, and in that, VR is f*cking brilliant! It was worth the money just for that. I drove in LeMans in an LMP2 Ligier, and I could've sworn I can touch the switches! And you really have the feeling that you're sitting on the right side of the car, and not in the middle.
In the other games it's a mixed bag: in R3E I can drive, but in the menu it's almost impossible to select things because the mouse doesn't work properly. And in AC and ACC, most disapointingly of all, I don't seem to be able to select VR alone, when I try to select it, I get a warning that they will run VR and desktop, I can't seem to seperate them. And it was mainly because of those two games that I finally decided to take the plunge with VR.
I guess I'll get that sorted out too, I'm probably doing something silly, and missing the wood for the trees ;) Slowly, slowly, catchee monkey...:D

Make sure to set " rendering mode" in AC settings to openVR.
Cheers
also ACC does not currently support VR.

Last edited:
ACC do not have VR (yet) as far as I understand.
In AC you setup all on monitor and use VR as you start simulation.
I rarely use AC but that was how it used to be!
Rf2 works great in VR but some track/ car combination are hard on frame rate

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea