Is VR dead?

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
Why all the secrecy i they had an amazing headset give spec now. with the reverb and index etc coming out if they had such an amazing device id hold of buying their competitions.

So tell me, if you're into VR and have spent enough to ramp up your rig, are you going to try to save a few bucks on the headset?

Absolutely because the use case for any set is going to determine its viability. It might be great for sit down sims but not so good for stand up room scale type of games. It's controllers might be amazing for a certain type of audience but not so much for others. It might have portability that others don't.

Pure visual fidelity isn't going to be everyone's main criteria. The VR market is fragmented because the use cases are quite varied and that's a good thing.

In a visual medium, there's always going to be a very subjective element involved in the decision making process. A close cousin for comparison is the monitor market. Hardly a one trick pony with varied sizes, refresh rates, panel types, aspect ratios, response times, etc. I see no reason why the VR market can't be similar.

Absolutely because the use case for any set is going to determine its viability. It might be great for sit down sims but not so good for stand up room scale type of games. It's controllers might be amazing for a certain type of audience but not so much for others. It might have portability that others don't.

I think I'm starting to see where you are coming from when making individual comparisons.

A Rift S but with IPD adjustment and potentially more resolution assuming they have any audio in their head strap. Other than losing one camera, it's basically all upside assuming it has good optics. The key is that they need to seriously exceed the Rift S in some capacity since they will be priced higher. Resolution would do it.

With 4 cameras, IPD adjustment and much better looking hand controllers, if it is priced near the Reverb and has similar resolution, it could be a Reverb and OJO killer for that matter. Having good hand controllers and improved tracking would give it an edge over both, then IPD over the HP and price over the OJO. That could be a good combination. Audio being the potential downside.

When you combine that with the comments I've read from a number of people( a few here) who have decided that base stations are evil, and given some of the production issues HP appears to be having with their Reverb, I believe there is a market if HTC doesn't drop the ball.

I could now see a bunch of people here considering one.

I hope HTC gets that home run! The market would be better for it!

• Deleted member 197115

The Cosmos could be a contender for sim racers. Article suggests inside out tracking, possible (no evidence) panels the same as the Reverb and mechanical IPD adjustment. Note there are no headphones, so likely either pipes sound like the Rift S or have to add your own.
Inside out confirmed, Reverb resolution highly unlikely, perhaps same as Index, Odyssey with RGB LCD. Attachable headphones are separately sold accessory.

FoV comparison. This time with AC since most of you just run Spa anyway!

Ignore the fact that it's a rift or a pimax or an odyssey and instead pay attention to the actual visual of what you see. Some might like it. Others might not care much. But these videos are a good and rare visual comparison on what FoV actually means in a game.

I've never minded the FOV of my Vive or Lenono WMR in sims. I appreciate the wider FOV is of course better. I looked at the Pimax on Amazon with interest and potential upgrade, but reading user reviews, the build quality seems to be fragile, and that's put me off. I think the head strap, no headphones, and cheap foam face pad isn't good enough either, considering the price. At the moment the Index will be the one for me.

Super duper... LOL!
Where is the cape?

The good news is that they expect to drop the prices of existing cards and sell the Super models at the existing price level.

These are technically just reasonably good rumors with no official numbers, but we knew there was a refresh coming with faster memory.

What I'm Extremely happy about is the concept of 8K gaming monitors!!!!!!! :)

I don't game on a flat screen and frankly I'll never even bother getting a TV that resolution since I can't resolve that resolution at normal viewing distances.

The only reason I care is that there is suddenly another reason besides VR to dramatically increase the power of video cards.

So help convince your pancake loving gamer friends that they NEED 8K and make sure that they understand they need both 8K resolution and ultra high frame rates :) That should be just enough to take care of our VR needs.

Quick question: Do any of you actually think 8K TV's would be worth it?

If you do, tell me would a 16K or 32K TV be even better? Would you brag about resolution that required binoculars from where you sit watching TV to resolve the detail?

I have one UHD TV and I never bother watching UHD content with it. I streamed a bit of Netflix in UHD and discontinued it after trying it out for a month.

Edit: I'm not suggesting UHD is completely useless. It does add more dynamic range and color depth. What I have noticed is that recent TV's look much better because of better processing and many people attribute that to resolution and UHD.

Last edited:
For no other reason other than I had 10 minutes to spare before Top Gear started last night...

Through the lens on Odyssey+ and ACC

It turns out having a big phone to take photos with makes it hard work... I couldnt really get into get headset to get focused.

MVIMG_20190616_194050.jpg

MVIMG_20190616_195607.jpg

MVIMG_20190616_193810.jpg

• Deleted member 197115

This is not SDE, low res pixelation on distant objects (you can't cheat low screen resolution) and film like fine grain against solid colors. If it is indeed O+, there shouldn't be any traditional, i.e. black grid between pixels, SDE.
Take a picture and show us what you mean.

my friend I had the PSVR and the CV1 and now the O+. I'm not a stranger to SDE.

When I say the O+ SDE is visible to my eyes, its because It is. Also, I will hardly be the only person you can find who sees it.

That is all individual if we see SDE or not.
Coming from DK2 , DK2 and HDK 2 I didn't notice SDE on my Lenovo Explore when I got it.
But if you look for them you can see them.
Trying out my neighbor's 0+ I didn't notice SDE. So at least let us say it might be there, but not one of O+ weak points;)

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.