Is VR dead?

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
Just curious if they have fixed controller issues on Index?

I've been using mine since last summer and haven't had any issues. They have good play time between charges. I recharge them every few uses and they charge very quickly. The finger tracking is generally good. Occasionally I see a finger not opening all the way.

Coming from a Rift the main difference is learning to use the hats which are off center, However they are very configurable and that is pretty easy to get used to. I use all the controls on the top including the thumb pad which I normally use like a button depending on the title.

Will the Reverb V2 have a larger FOV?
I’m waiting for the V2 release.. the Oculus S is good but I need more. I’m staying away from the Index because it has a lot of EMI issues with motion .

• Deleted member 197115

There was some teaser announcement, no spec or any relevant details, except newer and better.

New Pimax, Oculus, HP Reverb v2, and Samsung are coming (Odyssey+ is officially discontinued).
Hold on a little longer, buddy.

Thanks for the response. I will probably be able to hold on for another month or two at the max, so I don't think any of these will be available by then. Maybe the Pimax? Then again, the history of delays is extensive with them, so not counting on it. Oculus Del Mar is just beyond a rumor at this point, so no clue on release date. Samsung seems like sometime in 2020, but that could be December I suppose. Then again, this is all just based on Google search of the HMDs you listed, so it's totally possible I missed something.

I do have one specific follow-up question though: Isn't the Reverb V2 already available? Or is there is V3 coming out? Do you mean the Reverb G2?

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

With quarantine in effect around the globe, I am not very optimistic on anything at all this year.

I've been using mine since last summer and haven't had any issues. They have good play time between charges. I recharge them every few uses and they charge very quickly. The finger tracking is generally good. Occasionally I see a finger not opening all the way.

Coming from a Rift the main difference is learning to use the hats which are off center, However they are very configurable and that is pretty easy to get used to. I use all the controls on the top including the thumb pad which I normally use like a button depending on the title.

What I had in mind is thumb stick issues. I owned Index for about one week and returned it due to issues with thumb stick. So I am wondering if they fixed that? If I recall it was batch 2. At that time it was a no-no for me to pay 1000+EUR for a device that had flaws.
Not a substantial upgrade from Rift S anyway for the money they ask.
Can't wait for Reverb G2. If it's somewhere between Rift S and Index price wise I might buy it.

What I had in mind is thumb stick issues. I owned Index for about one week and returned it due to issues with thumb stick. So I am wondering if they fixed that? If I recall it was batch 2. At that time it was a no-no for me to pay 1000+EUR for a device that had flaws.
Not a substantial upgrade from Rift S anyway for the money they ask.
Can't wait for Reverb G2. If it's somewhere between Rift S and Index price wise I might buy it.

What is "thumb stick"?

It appears many things VR and simulator related are sold out and that COVID-19 is pushing people to find more interesting things to do while hanging out at home.

Not surprising, but interesting. This will be a huge boost for VR in terms of new VR users.

I’m not convinced. You still need a powerful PC and spare cash which will rule out most gamers.

Why?
People stuck at home who have money are looking for something fun to so.

Many Racing Sim components companies are sold out as well. There has been a change of priorities for people stuck home.

Why?
People stuck at home who have money are looking for something fun to so.

Many Racing Sim components companies are sold out as well. There has been a change of priorities for people stuck home.

Many (most?) people stuck at home at the moment don’t have much disposable income!

I think one reason so much sim racing hardware is currently sold out is more of a problem with companies getting stock from their suppliers rather than a massive increase in sales. Most sim rig suppliers are quite small companies which wouldn’t necessarily hold a lot of surplus stock as their potential customer base is relatively small.

Many (most?) people stuck at home at the moment don’t have much disposable income!

That is completely moot. The percentage of people who have VR is very small and doesn't take a large percentage of the well heeled buying a VR headset to have noticeable increase.

And yeah, there are production issues, but I see Vives in stock, Odysseys in stock. Heck Oculus is selling refurbished Rifts ( the original ) for $299. So they are selling whatever they can get their hands on.

That is completely moot.

We’ll have to agree to disagree on that. I don’t know what it’s like in the US, but in the UK (and most of Europe) many people are needing government subsidies just to feed their families. Many small businesses will probably not survive lock-down. There will be a small number of people with a lot of disposable income who may come out of this unscathed but they will be the exception, not the rule.

The percentage of people who have VR is very small and doesn't take a large percentage of the well heeled buying a VR headset to have noticeable increase.

Whilst that may be true, there’s simply no way we’ll ever know for sure, particularly if you're looking specifically at VR usage for sim racing.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.