Is VR dead?

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
UE5 on PS5
Holly molly.
This PS5 display looks extremely good.
And when the sound engine on PS5 as promised does re-enable HW accelerated sound then PC sound are left behind as some kind of dinosaur.
Congreatulation Microsoft - you shot yourself in the foot when you killed HW accelated sound from Vista and forward.:sneaky:

The video in that article was basically what we were hoping for.

However after hearing about all the great stuff the 30 series will be, he did mention that in the short term AMD could actually take the high end graphics title until the 30 series launches which is also great news for people who are done supporting NVidia.

So as expected 30 series will be 7nm and could use less power than 20 series on 12 nm. The smaller die size should allow them to sell at a more reasonable price, however the video mentions that AMD actually has a better relationship with the fabs and NVidia's production will be both more expensive and delayed a full quarter because of that. That doesn't point to the lower pricing we were hoping for. Reduced maybe, but not cheap.

This could mean that AMD has some great GPU's for VR in the short term and still hold a serious bang for the buck advantage.

If you combine UE5's ability to take ultra high resolution assets and display them rightsized for whatever your display device resolution is, we could have some amazing photo-realism coming to VR over the next couple years.

He also mentioned that he thought the next 3060 could have performance rivaling the current 2080 at a much better price point. If an entry level card with that power was available it would definitely help with VR adoption.

Now take a 3080Ti with Displayport 2 and an updated higher bandwidth Pimax 8KE or equivalent and we will be getting very close to nirvana with high resolution, wide field of view and a good framerate.

Now if CPU's could just advance to keep pace...

Yes we need to see this stuff happening. So long since I've been excited to buy a GPU. The 10 series was pretty great. They put the price up a bit there but the increase in performance was fantastic. A 1070 was beating the previous gen Titan so the 3060 to 2080 comparison is not a surprise, it's actually a relief that we'll hopefully get getting a better increase this time around.

I'm one of those wanting to move from Nvidia. However, I will not do it blindly, I need to make sure I am getting a very good VR experience and if there are things like FFR that are not present on AMD, that will give me better chanced to hit native hz at high resolutions, then I need to consider that. I wait patiently and eagerly. To be honest if it weren't for sim racing in VR, and ACC to a certain extent, I would happily sit on my 1080Ti for even longer.

We have to wait until at least September before there will be any kidneys for sale.

Today's announcements were all about Gaming Server farms, AI speech, autonomous driving, Machine Learning, and other professional graphics use. So I guess we will need to wait a little while before we get the full low down.

Interesting even though it is speculative.
35% more cuda cores, but just as important they've improved the performance by architecture changes so the same number of cuda cores can get more done.

The expectation is for a HUGE performance increase.

So the 3080ti will be 50% faster than the 2080ti in testing which will translate to 10-30% more fps in actual games and close to nothing in VR.
As it is for the most part the CPU that holds back the FPS in sims.
Now we might be forced to spend huge amounts on expensive GPU and CPU's because we want to run sims/ games optimized to run on consoles.

So the 3080ti will be 50% faster than the 2080ti in testing which will translate to 10-30% more fps in actual games and close to nothing in VR.
As it is for the most part the CPU that holds back the FPS in sims.
Now we might be forced to spend huge amounts on expensive GPU and CPU's because we want to run sims/ games optimized to run on consoles.

Why the negativity?

They are saying that Ray Tracing may see a 400% improvement and Ray Tracing will be implemented across the entire product line. So no more GTX / RTX division and games may start to support this more since it will be possible in real time. DRSS is also supposed to be sped up dramatically.

They are also suggesting that an inexpensive 3060 could be as powerful as a 2080 is now.

There is reason to be optimistic.

The 10 series vs 20 series was only 14nm to 12nm. This is 7nm which is a significant drop in size and power requirements.

Why the negativity?

They are saying that Ray Tracing may see a 400% improvement and Ray Tracing will be implemented across the entire product line. So no more GTX / RTX division and games may start to support this more since it will be possible in real time. DRSS is also supposed to be sped up dramatically.

They are also suggesting that an inexpensive 3060 could be as powerful as a 2080 is now.

There is reason to be optimistic.

The 10 series vs 20 series was only 14nm to 12nm. This is 7nm which is a significant drop in size and power requirements.

Wasn't intended to be negative but why are users hyping up hardware they have never seen or even seen a test of?
Reviewer and websites do get paid to hype up unproven hardware.

Ray Tracing going up 400%!
Wow so much better you can now achieve 4 FPS where before you could only get 1 fps. What a huge steep forward! Or maybe that is negative the real figures are a jump from 4 to 16 fps! :roflmao:

Unless they brake dramatic with tradition a 3060 will preform close to a 2070 in games.

The 2080ti was the only GPU in the 20 series that was a real generational jump from the previous generation.

I got a RTX 2070 and I can't find a single game / sim where a 1080 would not have been a better Gpu in the price range.

If AMD didn't have all those issues with drivers I would shift to AMD in a heartbeat.

The AMD drivers meme MUST be getting old at this point, surely? How is that still a thing? AMD's software suite for GPU's is regarded superior to the Geforce stuff. Unless I've missed something, everyone that is scared to move to AMD always seems to use drivers as the limiting factor.

I trust NOTHING that AMD (or the paid affiliates) advertise anymore.. I jumped on the AMD bandwagon with the 3900x CPU, because I was sold on the "so many cores.." "so many speed.." "intel killer".. UNTIL i actually ran it and find out only two of the cores had "so much speed" and that because in fact they were not even directly linked to each other (essentially two cpus glued together in one package communicating over a bridge that throws speed away) that the speed showing was not even being achieved and effectively on multi core games it was running at 60% of the speed of its cheaper i9 competitor.. , using it for Vray to do multicore rendering, in the real world, older i7's at a similar speed, with a third of the cores, actually completed renders faster.. I had intended to buy a nice shiny AMD graphics card as well, but the cpu sting from from false advertising has put me off a bit.. Once its out, and someone shows me ACC running at 240fps on a triple screen, ill put my money down.. ;)

But, back on topic, i have an old gen Vive, and will be buying the newer one once I can convince the department of war and finance that it is an educational tool for the kids. ;) Still my preferred way to race after triples.

The AMD drivers meme MUST be getting old at this point, surely? How is that still a thing? AMD's software suite for GPU's is regarded superior to the Geforce stuff. Unless I've missed something, everyone that is scared to move to AMD always seems to use drivers as the limiting factor.

no at all. It’s a mess and if you’re running vr + AMD, best of luck.

AMD’s best value is to put pressure on nvidia to drop prices.

Really?

I could see AR with phones if they are showing various displays in "relatively" real time, but gaming?

Might check this out. 1080Ti so I don't know if I'll see any gains. I've driven maybe 10 minutes of the game in total since I bought the Deluxe version on sale in June. I probably won't notice even if there was improvement!

How did that work for you?
I also enabled VRSS for Dirt Rally 2.0 dropped to 90 fps and set every setting to Ultra and it is still running smoothly. Not 120fps but it looks good.
I'm not sure if VRSS buys much in DR 2.0 or not. It is in adaptive mode and possibly is so close to the limits that it isn't running much. Maybe I should drop a few of the detail settings to give VRSS some room to play. It did look like my CPU had a single core that was still running in the mid 90's or higher, so it is obvious I'm running at/near the limit.

Anyway, I'm definitely finding DR2 runs much better now than a few months ago.

FYI: after my personal experience with the O+ and given how much my son prefers his Index over his O+ ( he is a serious gamer ). I tend to take some of that Index vs Lenovo comparison with a grain of salt. I tried the O+ and Index back to back after my son had both systems. My impression is still that the WMR controllers are clunky and "generally" track OK, but not with any precision ever. Once you are used to room scale with consistently ultra accurately tracking controllers, losing that is very frustrating. The O+ is a bit heavier, not as comfortable, doesn't go on nearly as easily and looks low rent by appearance. Everyone has different standards for acceptable performance and if you are happy with WMR headsets, that's great! I don't have any complaints about the O+ display. It works fine and looks good. "I" prefer how my Index looks, but it's not a dramatic difference. I do like the comfort and the audio on my Index a chunk better.

That said, these are all disposable and it only makes sense to buy what you are comfortable tossing within two years. So I'm not pushing people to spend more for a system ESPECIALLY if they are not using room scale much. It has diminishing returns fast and you have to amortize them over the time you keep them.

Last edited:
I have the 2080ti and I’m very happy with it. I can run rfactor2 ( the only sim I run ) with my oculus rift S with high setting and SS-180% with 80fps In always all tracks and rfactor2 is know to be very heavy sim when it comes to graphics.
I won’t spend 1600$just to gain what?! 10fps!!!!
I will pass this generation of GPU’s and in 2 years when the the 4080ti will be released then I will upgrade.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back