Is VR dead?

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
it's just another example of how much fiddling and tech knowledge required to make everything run properly in VR. Unfortunately even after so many years, it's still not seamless plug and play experience, and can be overwhelming at first even for technically experienced people.

Probably why PSVR has been more successful than PC VR. I'm sure that this is another factor preventing mainstream acceptance of the technology. The very attraction of the PC to most people (the fact that it's customisable and upgradeable) works against it with VR as there's no common standard for the manufacturers to develop for. As a result, they have to aim for the lowest common denominator (which, relatively speaking, is still fairly high) in order to widen the potential market. Perhaps this will make the Go and the Quest much more successful.

You can check my settings in the link above, it's optimized for best performance/visual balance for my system.

I think I know the issue. You aren't using a Rift which is what software like Dirt Rally is optimized for.
Using ReVive etc.. will just not get you the same performance as native support. Even for games that support both SteamVR and Oculus typically the Oculus mode will be more efficient.

Most people like Gamermuscle who did Vive/Oculus comparison found the Rift had better frame rates in general. WMR headsets are at a further disadvantage. So you gave yourself a handicap in terms of FPS.

• Deleted member 197115

Who said anything about revive, AC natively supported by OpenVR, unlike DR.
WMR in current state can perform the same or better under circumstances.
Also keep in mind resolution difference between Odyssey 1440x1600 and Rift 1080x1200
And Miguel, go ask Peter if SOL IS shader patch. I am sure you are just confused.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who said anything about revive, AC natively supported by OpenVR, unlike DR.
WMR in current state can perform the same or better under circumstances.
Also keep in mind resolution difference between Odyssey 1440x1600 and Rift 1080x1200
And Miguel, go ask Peter if SOL IS shader patch. I am sure you are just confused.

So you are saying that adding 50% to the resolution doesn't take a toll ?
Hmmm.... Must be new math.

BTW I've heard LOTS of complaints about WMR performance and your 3.5K monster PC would seem to support this as much as you want to dismiss it.

• Deleted member 197115

It had problems as any emerging VR technology.
I am quite happy with where it stands and how it performs now, with my settings, at that resolution, 200% SS and Anti SDE of Odyssey+ it is the best you can get out of VR today.
AC with SOL is a true eye candy as much as that can apply to VR image.
You trash talking WMR while not comparing apples and oranges, without taking into account higher resolution and graphics settings used.
But yeah, whatever, who cares, I've heard somewhere on internet that WMR sucks and that's enough for me.

@miguel, that should help you understand the relationship between two, while they are related they are not the same
upload_2019-3-2_10-5-23.png

I used to run WMR on a Gtx 970! And it worked well for some titles others not so much.
Upgrading to RTX 2070 made all titles work well. I do not have ACC!
AC which isn't my favorite didn't really improve much visual upgrading the GPU. Going from a i5 to a i7 helped a little with Ai and online.
Didn't try Shader patch and SOL with the old GPU, but it would likely have struggled.

No doubt that a Rift and an original Vive headset are running higher fps on same settings due to the much lower display resolution.
Each of us also tolerate different levels better than others. I for once do not mind having 10-20% reprojection while for others that is unbearable.
The software needs to improve.
Take LFS is will run on for VR low level HW. Sure the cockpits a low res and low details but the tracks looks fine.
And you set it up and then next time you start it is running in VR.
PC2 can do the same with VR and monitor separate setup's.
While Rf2 are a mess to start in VR. AC are likewise not the smartest.

Even plain Windows. MS insisted that WMR needed Windows 10 and then they didn't use but send you to a completely pointless Cliff House.
While a small one man company could make Virtual Desktop. Not that it is the greatest software for VR but at least much better than what MS came up with.

I am not think VR is dead or dying but it isn't doing as great as I had hoped. Special in Race and Flight sims I would have thought it would have been the standard by now.

What's amazing to me is that it "appears" that the new MS Hololens 2 is what I hoped the Magic Leap was going to be. Time will tell. Of course it's really not designed for games and is more for business collaboration. But it is a pretty high tech AR headset and the more of this type of technology that gets into the pipeline the better off we all will be.

The bottom line is that in a couple years the headsets we have now will all surpassed by a HUGE margin and the current gen Intel and NVidia chips were stop gaps because of failure to get to a smaller process design. Both needed the smaller process to help keep costs down. Now CPU's and GPU's are more expensive than I think either company was hoping for and definitely than we were hoping for.

What about installing a cpu or gpu directly in the vr. Plus an other one in the pc!?
Is that possible?

Given that the latest RTX 2070/2080 GPU's are bricks that soon need extra support to even hold to the PCI-E bus and moreover all the heat dissipation from 200 Watts attached to your face, I would say no, at least if we are looking at a more powerful GPU than the GTX 1050 Ti.

So it is looking like the Rift S may be available sooner rather than later.
It is now out of stock at many retailers like New Egg and Best Buy.

Basically it will be like the WMR headsets but lighter, more comfortable and with better inside out tracking. The new fresnel lenses are supposed to be best of the best with no god rays and larger sweet spot than the WMR headsets.

And it will have native Dirt Rally 2.0 support :)

I was not in the market for a new headset, but my wife has said she would like me to take down my 3 Rift sensors if I can, so it appears I may give this a go and just hope the Inside Out tracking is much better than the WMR headsets.

The good news is that it would free up 3 of my USB ports!!!! I only have one free port left now and was considering going to Heusinkveld pedals and hand brake, and yes I know what a USB hub is, but still would prefer to avoid that if possible.

However I'm not planning any upgrades to my computer near terms, so I probably won't be driving these as well as other more powerful computers out there. FYI, my personal favorite "In Death" is also an RTX title, but I'm not getting an RTX card at this time. I'm trying to force myself to wait for the next generation of video cards and at LEAST 10nm or smaller Intel CPU chips. I was surprised to hear that the 10nm process is supposed to be in full gear by the end of the year in time for the holidays. I was under the impression they were leap frogging to 7nm, but apparently not. <sigh> I might build a new computer then.

Last edited:
https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-rift-stock-web-suggesting-rift-s-near/

Interesting! I hope for a new top model whit more resolution !

HP 'Copper' WMR headset with 2160x2160 per eye has recently been shown.

Vive Cosmos was announced at CES - purported to be 2160x2160 per eye.

Deus Odin with 2160x2160 per eye also, is expected for Summer.

Qualcomm/Acer showed a reference design headset at CES with 2160x2160 per eye.

• Deleted member 197115

Last edited by a moderator:
A "Rift" even with the same resolution spec as the Odyssey would still sell well for a number of reasons.

1. Comfort
2. Better optics
3. Better inside out tracking
4. Better software support
5. Trust in Oculus to have a good product

People like me know too many other people who don't like their Odyssey's as much as their Rifts so we didn't bother getting them. We trust Oculus to have a superior product. If the inside out tracking is truly usable in a game like In Death, (The Odyssey is absolutely not!), than they will sell. BTW my son who is a CS major and very tech savvy can not get hand tracking on his Odyssey + nearly as good as my Rift.

IF and it's a really big IF they increase the resolution to 4K per eye than they better back that up with an EXTREMELY efficient driver that absolutely and completely blows away Pimax which can't get decent frame rates out of their Pimax 8K with current hardware. Otherwise all that resolution is wasted for another year or two when the next generation of hardware is here.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back