Is VR dead?

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
Pass through reality is something sim racers and flight people have wanted for a while.
Not affordable yet, but the fact they have this working now at the commercial level is still impressive.

Needs a lot more work but, ya, going to be pretty sweet. The VR scene is only going to get better but it'll get so good that it'll be bad.

One day, it'll be like in that Bruce Willis movie, Surrogate, where we're all just rotting, almost-dead bodies because all we do in the real world is lay on a bed 24/7 while living our lives in the virtual world with a tube stuck in our real bodies providing us with food/nutrients. Then, when for whatever reason we have to take our headsets off and return to the real world, we're nothing but a completely wasted corpse with no real life, no real friends/lovers, no ambitions, barely able to walk, barely able to move a muscle, and incredibly depressed and wanting to do nothing other than return to the virtual world so we can rot some more.

Having said that, in the further future, there will probably be "medications" and supplements that stop our bodies from degenerating so that we can lay down with a VR headset on for months, years, at a time while our bodies stay fit and healthy.

There'll also be a point in time when we don't even need to wear physical headsets, it'll all happen via contact lenses and then the brain itself.

And then...OK, I'm going to stop now.

Last edited:
Needs a lot more work but, ya, going to be pretty sweet. The VR scene is only going to get better but it'll get so good that it'll be bad.

One day, it'll be like in that Bruce Willis movie, Surrogate, where we're all just rotting, almost-dead bodies because all we do in the real world is lay on a bed 24/7 while living our lives in the virtual world with a tube stuck in our real bodies providing us with food/nutrients. Then, when for whatever reason we have to take our headsets off and return to the real world, we're nothing but a completely wasted corpse with no real life, no real friends/lovers, no ambitions, barely able to walk, barely able to move a muscle, and incredibly depressed and wanting to do nothing other than return to the virtual world so we can rot some more.

Having said that, in the further future, there will probably be "medications" and supplements that stop our bodies from degenerating so that we can lay down with a VR headset on for months, years, at a time while our bodies stay fit and healthy.

There'll also be a point in time when we don't even need to wear physical headsets, it'll all happen via contact lenses and then the brain itself.

And then...OK, I'm going to stop now.
But then the electricity bill comes in and we suddenly wake up :coffee:
:p

So Meta is getting in bed with MS to approach the business market.

"This whole year has been a kick in the balls to Meta" and paraphrasing maybe they've learned their lesson and are learning to form partnerships and a more open environment.

Also mentioned is that Valve is looking for engineers to help prototype, ship, support customer gaming products leveraging visual-inertial tracking(HMD and controllers), camera passthrough, eye tracking, hand tracking, etc.. etc..

That last means Valve is still planning on a new VR system, but seem to make it sound like it's still a long term thing. (Unless they are just trying not to express that anything is coming soon)

Last edited:
...That last means Valve is still planning on a new VR system, but seem to make it sound like it's still a long term thing. (Unless they are just trying not to express that anything is coming soon)

Yeah, I heard about that too. After coming across that info I started to consider the G2, but now it's back up to full price (at least where I live it is).

So... anyone here taken the plunge with the Pico 4 for sim racing? Wondering how the compression artefacts compare to the Q2, and whether Pico's ASW solution is up to snuff. Also interested if the pancake lenses make for better night driving.
Still borderline angry that there's no DP option with this headset... the Pico 4 could have been a really good option for sim racers.

This might help a little.
Looks so much better than G2, especially outside the center area. G2 has awful chromatic aberration there (easily visible on contrast edges of objects against the sky) and Pico doesn't

Attachments

• pico.jpg
    pico.jpg
    366 KB · Views: 48
I always hear that you can't trust the "through the lens" shots to be perfect, especially for the G2 because of the small sweet spot. But then the complaints about the G2 are just that, it has a small sweet spot.

In regards to the Quest 2 vs Pico 4, it's a tradeoff. One is owned by a corporation with a shady history, and the other is from a country with a shady history. I'm not sure I'd buy either one of them. Unfortunately that leaves few options and the temptation to "settle".

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

Looks so much better than G2, especially outside the center area. G2 has awful chromatic aberration there (easily visible on contrast edges of objects against the sky) and Pico doesn't
Is it?
Screenshot 2022-10-21 130225.jpg

1666382729932.png

Last edited by a moderator:
The DK2 had terrible chromatic aberration, but I cant say that you really notice it on the G2. You couldnt help but notice it under the DK2 in normal usage and its probably not so much an issue (well its never been for me) if you have to come up with high contrast scenes we dont normally get to show its there at all.

The DK2 had terrible chromatic aberration, but I cant say that you really notice it on the G2. You couldnt help but notice it under the DK2 in normal usage and its probably not so much an issue (well its never been for me) if you have to come up with high contrast scenes we dont normally get to show its there at all.
I have the G1, which is supposed to have worse chromatic aberration than the G2 and I find the same thing in that I cannot really tell even when looking for it unless it's a high contrast scene

Well, I don't have any experience with the DK2, but this was one of the first few negative things I noticed when I tried the G2 after the O+

• Deleted member 197115

Well, I don't have any experience with the DK2, but this was one of the first few negative things I noticed when I tried the G2 after the O+
I've used to own Odyssey original, Odyssey Plus and now G2, if you experience severe CA, something is not right either with the unit or the way you set it up, IPD or something else, as I have seen no difference in CA except huge jump in clarity especially after using aftermarket face gasket that brings lenses closer to eyes increasing sweetspot.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used to own Odyssey original, Odyssey Plus and now G2, if you experience severe CA, something is not right either with the unit or the way you set it up, IPD or something else, as I have seen no difference in CA except huge jump in clarity especially after using aftermarket face gasket that brings lenses closer to eyes increasing sweetspot.
It is severe in high-contrast situations and feels more extreme than what I get with the O+, maybe just because of a better clarity of the G2. But it seems that pancake lenses will take care of that in new-gen headsets, Pico4 through the lens footage shows almost absence of it and a much wider area where the image looks sharp. If someone makes a wired PC headset with the same tech, but no streaming compression it should easily beat the G2

Pancake lenses wont solve chromatic aberration, its still haas to be sorted in software.

The nest lens I had to solve chromatic abberation was on a takahashi using multi element ED glass. It it > $7kusd scope though for only a 106mm aperture. It also gave a very flat field.

The issue with single element lenses is that they inherently have chromatic aberration and it will cost far too much to solve that in the optics. So its done in the software and up to the developer how well they achieve that.

• Deleted member 197115

No doubt, pancake lenses is the future, goodbye tiny sweetspot.
Fresnel lenses were unnecessary evil.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea