Is VR dead?

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
Been really enjoying my Pimax 5K Super the past month or so since I purchased it. The first time I gamed with it, I think I raced for 6 hours almost non-stop. Playing most racing games at either 144 Hz / fps or 160 Hz / fps. Incredible headset. I would have went with the 8K X for the higher pixel density but the trade-in program for the Pimax 12K is even better with the 5K Super than with the 8K X.

Pimax's customer support is surprisingly fantastic as well. They reply quick and a couple times they even messaged me a second time before I even replied back to them yet. I don't think any company has ever done that to me, in any industry.

If it wasn't for Pimax with it's combination of almost highest pixel density (second only to the Varjo Aero which the upcoming Pimax Crystal and 12K will beat & match respectively), large v. FOV, extremely large h. FOV, and very high refresh rates, I would have stuck with Nvidia 3D Vision on triple 27" monitors.

I've tried multiple headsets over the years, 2 different Oculus, an HTC Vive, and the Index fairly recently. I just couldn't do it. They all always felt like looking through binoculars or tiny goggles blocking most of my vision or something. Felt to me like a concept or test device, as well as gimmicky and toyish. I'm so glad I watched Niels Heusinkveld's Pimax 8K X review and comparison (to the Reverb G2, I think) video. I then purchased the Pimax 5K Super and it's such a completely different experience to all the other headsets.

Finally, I can give up my 3D Vision triple-screen setup, thanks to Pimax. Honestly, thank goodness for Pimax, they're the only consumer VR company pushing VR tech/specs.

Last edited:
Been really enjoying my Pimax 5K Super the past month or so since I purchased it. The first time I gamed with it, I think I raced for 6 hours almost non-stop. Playing most racing games at either 144 Hz / fps or 160 Hz / fps. Incredible headset. I would have went with the 8K X for the higher pixel density but the trade-in program for the Pimax 12K is even better with the 5K Super than with the 8K X.

Pimax's customer support is surprisingly fantastic as well. They reply quick and a couple times they even messaged me a second time before I even replied back to them yet. I don't think any company has ever done that to me, in any industry.

If it wasn't for Pimax with it's combination of almost highest pixel density (second only to the Varjo Aero which the upcoming Pimax Crystal and 12K will beat & match respectively), large v. FOV, extremely large h. FOV, and very high refresh rates, I would have stuck with Nvidia 3D Vision on triple 27" monitors.

I've tried multiple headsets over the years, 2 different Oculus, an HTC Vive, and the Index fairly recently. I just couldn't do it. They all always felt like looking through binoculars or tiny goggles blocking most of my vision or something. Felt to me like a concept or test device, as well as gimmicky and toyish. I'm so glad I watched Niels Heusinkveld's Pimax 8K X review and comparison (to the Reverb G2, I think) video. I then purchased the Pimax 5K Super and it's such a completely different experience to all the other headsets.

Finally, I can give up my 3D Vision triple-screen setup, thanks to Pimax. Honestly, thank goodness for Pimax, they're the only consumer VR company pushing VR tech/specs.
What is your pc specs?

There is a lot in there to unpack.

That is a lot of capabilities with a huge emphasis on collaboration and social networking.

Not so much resolution, but better color, sharpness, contrast, and slightly better FOV. So overall better appearance.

The face tracking is all about socializing and having avatars that can show facial expressions.

The AR capabilities could be massive for work or other collaborative applications.

This is a great set of improvements. However, I can't imagine many sim racers caring terribly much about it.

F**K META

I think people generally have it in for anything Mark Zuckerburg is pushing these days, and I think the reason is clear.

For those who read or saw Ready Player One, Zuckerman represents how the evil corporations wanted the Oasis to be with advertising everywhere, and everything being monetized.

Something like the Oasis will eventually happen and I think people are holding out for something a bit closer to the ideals of the Oasis, rather than it's monetization.

Advertising aside, I simply do not trust Mark Zuckerberg with my personal data. He's been at the center of way too many scandals for my liking. If I need to use Facebook, which is rare these days, I hop on via a virtual machine.

• Deleted member 197115

New lenses is a good news, resolution slightly above Quest 2 and way below HP G2 is not.
Price? :whistling:

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Deleted member 197115

To my surprise the guy there told me that HP is leaving VR market, because of other competitors taking the space. He said that they will stop producing HP reverb g2 in about year and right now have no further plans with VR.
Such as?
Well, that was WMR "The Last of the Mohicans", with all the cons still the best resolution around. :(
With Meta VR future, if any, looks very bleak.

Pass through reality is something sim racers and flight people have wanted for a while.
Not affordable yet, but the fact they have this working now at the commercial level is still impressive.

Pass through reality is something sim racers and flight people have wanted for a while.
Not affordable yet, but the fact they have this working now at the commercial level is still impressive.

Yeah it's gonna be awesome/crazy when it gets to the level of seeing your physical cockpit/peripherals and having greenscreen instruments/displays/canopies/windows/etc with real time processing

• Deleted member 197115

People keep wearing these stupid masks just to look cool on promotional video?

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.