Is this possible the best race sim around atm?

Msportdan

@Simberia
Ive spent the last few days trying a few sims.

AC
RF2 (my fav so far but..)
GSC
Raceroom

and to say I think GSCe is the most authentic sim out there. Ok the visuals aren't on the level AC or RR, but everything else makes up for it. The ffb the sense of immersion in the cockpit the AI... I just want to thank Reiza and what a job they've done with (lets just say) old engine.,. It does put Rf2 in shame in places, and even AC.

carry on reiza the great and hard work is much appreciated here down in Essex lol

cheers guys

Whats your thoughts. on this and other sims atm.?

Last edited:
I'm with @Msportdan on this one. Given the choice between rF2 and GSC I would go for GSC without too much thought. When all is said and done it feels more convincing to me. I can only judge on a how a sim feels on track and GSC is the best of the bunch (in my opinion).

I think rF2 has huge potential but it's not quite there just yet. It's a highly ambitious, feature rich project but it's too unfinished for me to invest serious time in. It will surpass GSC eventually but for now I prefer the sim that has managed to wring every last drop out of a tried-and-tested old engine and still leave supposedly more advanced rival products trailing.

I've recently been playing R3E and Assetto Corsa. AC is my favorite, followed by R3E. GSCE comes in third. I have tried Project Cars only once, not enough to form an opinion.

AC is an amazing sim. The graphics are great, good optimization, vehicles feel good and I don't have to worry about FFB when I install a car. It just works. The toolbar in game is brilliant. The UI is comfy once you familiarize yourself with it.

R3E is also very enjoyable, however, I'm not sold on the UI just yet. The game looks great, second to AC, and the tracks are very nice. It took me a while to figure out the FBB in the game. It still leaves something to be desired. But I'm no expert at setups; this includes cars as well. I don't like the business model for the game, but in the end, I did purchase two packages (DTM 2014 and ADAC Masters.)

GSCE is the sim I drive least of all. The UI is extremely clunky, slow and limited. Installing mods (cars) is a crap shoot with regard to FFB. Those who are very familiar with the game know what I'm talking about. Of course, you can tweak the real feel ini to get your desired feel, but it isn't an exact science. I haven't experienced this with AC. While GSCE is fun to drive when the feel is right, it's hard to stay with it. The included vehicles that come with the game, handle and feel good for the most part. But sometimes I feel like I'm driving Race 07.

rFactor 2 does not float my boat at present. The UI is hideous, and the tracks look washed out. Keep in mind that I have only tried the demo. As such, I can't try different vehicles and tracks. The vehicles themselves look amazing.

I'm looking forward to buying Project Cars. I will own all the sims that interest me. They all have their uniqueness. However, AC is at the top of my list....for now.

If you're actually playing for the sim/gameplay aspect of it (the purely driving part), then Game Stock Car - and even more-so rFactor 2 - annihilate R3E and PCars, in my opinion. However, I can still have fun with both, but more-so PCars. In-fact I am a PC fan :) It's fun, even if it doesn't give me the same sort of insanely raw and complex physics behavior as some other games do, it's still good :).

AC, is a complex issue and seems like it can be good or, at times (depending on the car), very "sim-cadey", but again. It's a very complex thing for me and a sort of "love-hate relationship".

Then there's iRacing; RF2's FFB blows it (and pretty much any other sims') out of the water, however, what I love about iRacing (in terms of pure gameplay/driving which is pretty much all I care about, and what the genre is truly supposed to be about) is that it gives me the impression - just like rFactor 2 and Game Stock Car - that things always feel very dynamic, raw, and "sim-ish". No car movements (or lack of), or general behavior, ever seem "video game-ish" or "sim-cadey" (geez, I hate that term). Perfect? Of course not, there's no such thing ATM, and won't be for years. I can live with non-perfection, but I just hate those arcadey moments you sometimes sense in certain sims.

No sim has perfect physics - that will take years and years to do. They all have their "moments". Those moments may include ones which seem "weird", "wrong", "overly difficult", "overly easy", "simplified and basic", 'un-dynamic/un-complex", etc. However, while they have their "moments" just like every sim, the "moments" I occasionally get from the physics engine of rFactor 2, iRacing, and Game Stock Car Extreme / Formula Truck are never the type which feel "video game-ish" / "simcadey" or "'un-dynamic" - and those are the types I personally despise when I'm looking for some serious simracing (which is 99% of the time I play).

Last edited:
. However, while they have their "moments" just like every sim, the "moments" I occasionally get from the physics engine of rFactor 2, iRacing, and Game Stock Car Extreme / Formula Truck are never the type which feel "video game-ish" / "simcadey" or "'un-dynamic" - and those are the types I personally despise when I'm looking for some serious simracing (which is 99% of the time I play).

I agree. You should do some serious sim racing here at the Racedepartment clubs. You'd love it.

Last edited:
I agree. You should do some serious sim racing here ate the Racedepartment clubs. You'd love it.
I know, I just suck at league racing because I can't keep a consistent schedule, (and I don't have time to do the amount of hardcore practicing I probably need to be even somewhat competitive, then again, it's not all about winning :) ).

My team (aren't there usually teammates/teams? Not sure...) would probably hate it if I'm always missing races. Or I would be occupying a spot which could have been used by somebody else if I couldn't make it that particular race.

If missing events is ok, and some sort of system to help with filling my spot when I can't make it, I wouldn't mind trying to get into some league racing. with people here. Especially with GSCE and FT (much easier to find pick-up races with rF2, so I'd prefer a GSCE/FT league).

I know, I just suck at league racing because I can't keep a consistent schedule, (and I don't have time to do the amount of hardcore practicing I probably need to be even somewhat competitive, then again, it's not all about winning :) ).

Exactly the same as me. That's why I race here at the clubs. They are not leagues, just casual fun racing for guys like me and you. When you want with no pressure. No teams. You should try it. Online racing with GSCE is fantastic here as they allow low driving aids too if you need or prefer racing with them (as I do). The clubs here are great with AC and Race 07 too. And I do about 30 minutes of practice and mainly end up last but who cares. Great fun. Formula Truck racing is good too. I'm doing my first FT Club race tonight.
Go on, give it a try. :thumbsup:

Edit: scratch my comment about allowing driving aids for us lesser skilled racers. They have just changed the rules and will not allow them even in club races. Sorry.

Last edited:
Exactly the same as me. That's why I race here at the clubs. They are not leagues, just casual fun racing for guys like me and you. When you want with no pressure. No teams. You should try it. Online racing with GSCE is fantastic here as they allow low driving aids too if you need or prefer racing with them (as I do). The clubs here are great with AC and Race 07 too. And I do about 30 minutes of practice and mainly end up last but who cares. Great fun. Formula Truck racing is good too. I'm doing my first FT Club race tonight.
Go on, give it a try. :thumbsup:

Edit: scratch my comment about allowing driving aids for us lesser skilled racers. They have just changed the rules and will not allow them even in club races. Sorry.
Thanks! I'll definitely take a look :)

just been racing the vees around interlagos, they are simply fun and probably the best sim car ive ever driven.

I reckon I can actually get into a real Vee and feel pretty confident what to expect when driving it, that's how good this sim is..

just been racing the vees around interlagos, they are simply fun and probably the best sim car ive ever driven.

I reckon I can actually get into a real Vee and feel pretty confident what to expect when driving it, that's how good this sim is..

I believe you are right. I don't claim to be an ace racer, but I've driven rental karts, my own race kart, a 250N superkart, a racing MG Midget, a touring Vectra, and I also got to drive an (ex)champcar for my 40th birthday, and this sim puts me back in the driving seat like no other. If it wasn't for this sim, I would be forced to buy another kart and spend a fortune that I don't have, to go racing again.

I think to sum this gsc vs rf2 up, what I find is that.... Rf2 best car is better than gsc best car, but where rf2 has some cars that Imo are plain awful to drive, gcs manages to have ALL cars at a great level of quality, where globally they make for a better package of cars which are consistent with each other in terms of physics. Rf2 feels like they had success with one or two cars but bodged the others dw12 for example.

So basically you end up driving one or two cars in RF but as in gsc they all are great, and I find when booting up I'm stumped to what car I want to race as they are all so good in their Individual way!

Ive spent the last few days trying a few sims.

AC
RF2 (my fav so far but..)
GSC
Raceroom

and to say I think GSCe is the most authentic sim out there. Ok the visuals aren't on the level AC or RR, but everything else makes up for it. The ffb the sense of immersion in the cockpit the AI... I just want to thank Reiza and what a job they've done with (lets just say) old engine.,. It does put Rf2 in shame in places, and even AC.

carry on reiza the great and hard work is much appreciated here down in Essex lol

cheers guys

Whats your thoughts. on this and other sims atm.?

I understand what you mean by "RF2 (my fav so far but..)" I feel the same.

By far rf2 has the best FFB, to realise its full potential you really need servowheel (+20Nm).
Change the "Steering torque capability" in your controller file to what ever your wheel can do (only works if your wheel produces 10Nm of torque or more, if I remember correctly)
Set the FFB multiplier to 0.9 - 0.95
Take megane or dallara out for a spin at limerockpark and enjoy!
In rf2 you dont get these numb spots in your FFB like you do for example in Iracing or AC

In my mind "the dream pack" would be: Iracing multiplayer system + content, physics and FFB from rf2, although iracings graphigs are great but graphigs + content from AC..

I race in R3E and GSCE (GSCE as of recently). And while its hard for me to put my finger on it, GSCE just seems a bit more accessible - at least for me.

I can drive the cars without assists and not be all over the place or have to put in a requisite amount of time before I can start to enjoy racing (or more or less just getting around tracks without crashing in every turn). This is of course comparing R3E's get real mode. Thats not to say I don't enjoy R3E either and have matter of fact been getting used to racing with no assists there as well. Contrary to what I'm saying now, I do have over 1,000 laps in R3E. Who knows, maybe its just the honeymoon period with GSCE.

I guess there is just something about GSCE which is more, 'Raw', which appeals to me. I also feel the user interface is more intuitive - again my opinion of course. The game loads faster and there seem to be a ton of mods, a few of which I've already installed that are good quality.

I have looked at AC, read posts, reviews, watched youtube vids, and for some reason I've not been able to pull the trigger on it, at least not yet. Besides I think I'd become overwhelmed having too many sims and not be able to decide which one I want to devote more time to..lol

As far as leagues go, I'd love to take part, but just can't commit any kind of consistency. Club racing seems to be more up my alley as I can more or less just do the quick pick up races.

my .02 anyway. ;)

apart from that u get licensed real race series and tracks, great variety of official addon content, support with constant bug fixing and dozens of mods to keep u busy (most of them not in the same quality standards u can find here in RD but grumbel comes in rescue with his excellent tool so everyone can convert his favourite cars/tracks from rF)

may you please tell me more about "grumbel" tool ? i would strongly appreciate to use F1 1971-1973 cars/tracks from rF ... really i can do it ?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back