F1 2010 Is the AI too easy?

F1 2010 The Game (Codemasters)
I have about 1 day and 20 hours til I can play the game but I saw a lot of videos that showed the AI to not be too much of a challenge. Is this true or are they faking it by saying they were on expert but really weren't?

Whether you find the AI too easy depends on your own driving ability. I think Codies have based the hardest level on real life. As we've seen with FVA there is an elite set of players who can beat the RL times (or at least RL F1 drivers). Most of us won't be able to or if we do, it will only be by a small margin.

As I don't know most of the tracks "i am well of the pace in all three sectors" according to my friendly chief engineer :) So far i am having a hard time keeping up with the AI. Are those that are constantly complaining driving it on expert mode i wonder :) ?

Or is that AI story one big sim-elitist-parrot-fest-again?:parrot:

I have tried one full race against AI on Bahrain (in the Lotus, career race). I found them to be a real step up from past games. They defend, in qualy and practice if I was on a hot lap cars on out laps moved over ( big +) and I have seen them make mistakes, even saw one given a drive through for not getting out of the way for a blue flag.

As for difficulty, that depends on your driving skill. I did a 2:01:xx in qualy which was enough for 14th, and averaged about 2:05 in the race and finished 15th. I found for my skill, it seemed to be a realistic pace. If you are better then me, then it would probably seem a bit too slow.

*edit - Just checking the real pole time, it was 1:54.101 by Vettel although he hit a 1:53.883 in Q2. I think the pole time in game was about 1:55, 1:56 so maybe a sec or so off real life.

It's replies like this that make me question the difficulty of the game

http://www.racedepartment.com/f1-2010-game/38195-f1-2010-arcade-simulation-6.html#post610505

Having put in a couple hours on career mode, I feel this game is 85% arcade 15% sim.

In my first career event on expert mode and no driving assists I qualified 9th in a Lotus, and even had the fastest 1st sector time of all drivers in Q3. that's with zero effort put into the setup... I just picked the farthest right quick setup. the other cars had a lot faster acceleration and higher top speed, and it didn't matter. During the race I made overtakes that were just absurdly unrealistic, words can't even begin to describe. The game turned almost every corner at Bahrain into a passing zone.

People will have fun with this game, but it only has a hint of PC sim flavor.

AI too EASY you say? That's laughable. I've been playing F1 2010 for a couple hours this afternoon and all I can say is that this game is hard as hell! I'm new to F1 games but damn. I'm having a hard time coming in anything but last even on CASUAL, with TC turned all the way up! I'm playing using the new ECCI wheel and pedals so it aint the controls lol. Feel like it's gonna take me 20 years to be just decent at this damn game

Way too easy for me also. I started my career with Virgin, no driving aids and the hardest AI mode (Legend). I made it fairly easy into Q2, Q3 and ended up on the first row just a few hundreds behind pole position.

(In the race I was heading for a podium finish until I forgot to select the correct tyres and had to come in again.)

So I wonder what happens when I move up to the faster teams..

Also, the real life laptimes are 2-3 seconds faster than what the AI did, so they should be around 3 seconds faster on the hardest setting. That would put me somewhere aroun P18-20 what would be perfect for a Virgin car :)

I have tried one full race against AI on Bahrain (in the Lotus, career race). I found them to be a real step up from past games. They defend, in qualy and practice if I was on a hot lap cars on out laps moved over ( big +) and I have seen them make mistakes, even saw one given a drive through for not getting out of the way for a blue flag.

As for difficulty, that depends on your driving skill. I did a 2:01:xx in qualy which was enough for 14th, and averaged about 2:05 in the race and finished 15th. I found for my skill, it seemed to be a realistic pace. If you are better then me, then it would probably seem a bit too slow.

*edit - Just checking the real pole time, it was 1:54.101 by Vettel although he hit a 1:53.883 in Q2. I think the pole time in game was about 1:55, 1:56 so maybe a sec or so off real life.
Way too easy for me also. I started my career with Virgin, no driving aids and the hardest AI mode (Legend). I made it fairly easy into Q2, Q3 and ended up on the first row just a few hundreds behind pole position.

(In the race I was heading for a podium finish until I forgot to select the correct tyres and had to come in again.)

So I wonder what happens when I move up to the faster teams..

Also, the real life laptimes are 2-3 seconds faster than what the AI did, so they should be around 3 seconds faster on the hardest setting. That would put me somewhere aroun P18-20 what would be perfect for a Virgin car :)

See this is a perfect example of the contradiction that is coming through. Someone in this thread posted to say the AI times were about a second slower than real life times yet you are saying they are 2-3 seconds slower than real life. There must be some difference in the settings or a bug is altering the AI even though you have the same settings.

I think what it comes down to, codemasters made this game for everyone, and they made it to make a lot of money, there are a lot of gamers who are not even a fraction of the skill of a hardcore sim racer (like many who frequent this site), and the game has to be manageable for them too. I've still not played it, so havent got my own opinion but i might fall into the "Its too easy" bag having spent all of my time since i got Rfactor racing formula 1 mods, with spending hours just practicing perfect laps being the norm. Most people would not want to have to put in that much dedication to succeed. Though i don't know, i would have expected the legendary/expert mode to mirror real life, in that it would be painfully hard for even the best of simmers to win a race, as it would be for even the best of drivers in real life, but then perhaps that is too harsh, the only way to realistically get that situation is with other humans.

Hi guys. Ive alredy tryed this game, and i have to say also: its an arcade game. There is chance to overtake in every corner on every track. Its not important to play it easy or legend mode of the AIs. For example in the Ferrari's cockpit view you cant see the mirrors... The game drives you out from the pit, and it drives in... I think these things are soo annoing for people who want to play a good realistic race... I have to say also, the Race series beat this game as hell, in turn that is a 4 years older game... :)

AI too EASY you say? That's laughable. I've been playing F1 2010 for a couple hours this afternoon and all I can say is that this game is hard as hell! I'm new to F1 games but damn. I'm having a hard time coming in anything but last even on CASUAL, with TC turned all the way up! I'm playing using the new ECCI wheel and pedals so it aint the controls lol. Feel like it's gonna take me 20 years to be just decent at this damn game

I don't know, what the problem here is, but on my game the ai set at amateur is hard as:poop:. I can get up to 3rd, but Hamilton is nowhere in sight. Then the pit stops screw me over pretty bad, it seems like the top of the field never pits.

It sounds to me like a bunch of moaning, elitist simmers are whining because they didn't make the game AI unrealistically hard to suit them for the one and only week they will probably play the game in single player.

After that, they would go online and only race their friends, so they can all be faster than the AI times and boast to eachother about their virtual speeds in a GAME and how crap the AI was... ;)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back